main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force"

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Spike_Spiegel, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    This line has always bugged me. I understand how technology in the individual level might be seen as less powerful than the Force. But blowing up planets is pretty danged powerful.

So I ask this question, throught the saga of SW, how is this statement proven right or wrong? How is the Force shown to be more powerful than that "technological terror" in all the movies (or not?)

Discuss!

2. Darth Sin

Darth Sin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 14, 1999
    I think answer lies within Vader's words. He did not say that the Force is more powerful than the ability of the Death Star, but rather than its ability to destroy planets is "insignificant" when matched against the power of the Force.

There is no doubt the Force is more powerful than the Death Star, but the Force's power is not regulated to just one single person or entity.

The Force has a will of its own, and has the ability to alter and change circumstances that its will be done.

The Force uses a seemingly insignificant farm boy named Luke, a princess named Leia and a pirate named Han Solo to help defeat this seemingly unbeatable force known as the Death Star.

The Force can draw from many people and circumstances to accomplish its will at any time. And this is why when matched against the power of the Force, the Death Star is no match.

Darth Sin! :cool:

3. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    Plus, the Force cannot be destroyed.

Listen to Obi-Wan when he describes the Force to Luke in his hovel. He describes it as something that penetrates and binds the universe together. As Yoda says, life creates it, makes it grow. All things, such as the rocks, trees, etc. are influenced by and influence the force itself.

The Force, my friends, is nature itself.

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    And in a more literal sense, the first DS was destroyed with the help of The Force.

There was a quick bit in the Tales Of The Jedi comic where users of the Darkside were being chased, one used the Force to cause 2 closley orbiting stars to erupt solar flares on their enemies.

5. LordMaul99

LordMaul99 Jedi Master star 1

May 31, 2002
    Not being sarcastic here, Darth Sin but either you must reeeeaally look deep into he whole Star Wars lore, or you're GL in disguise b/c, you come out with some theories that just blow me away man, very cool.

6. atomik

atomik Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    Like was said earlier, the force used Luke and Co. to destroy the Death star. In this way it can be seen as more powerful.
    But in a direct way, I dont think that a person with the force as his ally can will a planet to explode.
    It's more powerful indirectly.

7. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    Vader was just a cranky old man. The line should have gone like this:
    "The ability to use the Force is insignificant compared to the power to destroy a planet."

8. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat Jedi Youngling

Feb 9, 2003
    It is insignifigant in many ways .it is vast it touches everything gives Vader power to do whatever he wants remember the ability to see the future is huge if you can see it you can be prepared for it knowing just what youre enemy is going to do even before he does it.remember without this ability the jedi lose.and palpy lost this ability to an extent with luke he didnt sense him right under his nose at endor hence the downfall.
    then there's the ability to affect minds making people do what you want them to do look at it this way what if the rebellion had a deathsstar what do you think vader would do about it.i dont think it would stand a chance.

9. Glockenspiel

Glockenspiel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2002
    Think of it this way

You can use technology, to destroy a planet like the technological terror by pushing a button, physically pulling the switch.

But with the force you can control the person with their hand on the button/switch.

<drools>

10. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Technically, the Death Star came from the Force, since EVERYTHING is controlled by it. It´s because of the Force that the battle station can move at all!

It would be neat to see a Jedi use the Force to move a planet. Since size doesn´t matter....

11. batvader

batvader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    The Death Star can destroy planets, the Force, if used properly, can conquer planets. What is better? Destroy or take posession of something?

12. Ternian

Ternian Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2000
    I HOPE that this line is explained in EpIII.

At the moment, the Force seems to be weak as water.

Personally, I am hoping the Jedi band together and completely destroy a planet with the Force alone.

13. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Jedi can keep their indentity after death...pretty powerful, you can't kill them!

14. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    It depends on how you define "power." Yes, the Death Star could destroy a planet, but one man used the Force to destroy the Death Star. So which is the more powerful?

15. Imperial_March

Imperial_March Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2002
    This line is used by GL to convey to the viewer how important the force is supposed to be - and how different the galaxy is in the new Imperial age where the jedi "fire has gone out". The viewer sees how Vader is at odds with the Empire over this.

16. IG_88a

IG_88a Jedi Padawan star 4

May 15, 2002
    'The Ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of an X-wing been flown by a farmboy'

Thats how the line should have been. The Deathstar is merely a toy compared to a force weilding farmboy.

17. Yomin_Carr

Yomin_Carr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2002
    The Force itself has a total power greater than the ability to destroy a planet. The Force is created by life. Considering the amount of life in the GFFA, the power must be considerable. However, I don't think any one individual could harness all of this power, so we can't really see this power in the movies.

18. Darth_Shade

Darth_Shade Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2003
    The force is as has been said earlier indirectly powerful whereas the Death Star has very direct power making it easier to see the Death Star's power.

19. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I think the fact Palpatine was able to use the Force to control the entire galaxy for so long contributed to Vader's belief in the Force and to why Vader made that comment.

20. OBI-GYN_Kenobi

OBI-GYN_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2002
    I think the fact that Vader force chokes the Wisenheimer who tells him "Don't frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader...." speaks volumes on which is more powerful. :(

21. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    I think we should keep in mind that Vader is now a disciple of the Dark Side and personally I think he's talking more about the Dark Side of the Force there, not the Force as a whole. (ie: "You don't know the power of the Dark Side")

So what are the most significant things that the Force impacted on?

* Darth Sidious has half of the Senate under his sway circa AotC.

* Obi Wan senses the destruction of Alderaan from half a galaxy away.

* Allows Palpatine to view the future with a pretty decent degree of accuracy.

* Creates life in the form of the perfect being, Anakin Skywalker.

* Guides the destiny of every being in the galaxy.

Sure, the Death Star can blow up a planet.
    But the Force allows its followers all that and more.

22. MasterDarthVader

MasterDarthVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 11, 2002
    Is like mind over matters.

There are many people that believe that the mind can heal the body and soul. We only use small part of our brain.

The Force is like that(I believe). If you think you can, you can.

23. Trojan_Sock

Trojan_Sock Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    "The force is as has been said earlier indirectly powerful whereas the Death Star has very direct power making it easier to see the Death Star's power."

Notice how this corresponds with Yoda's view of the Dark Side versus the Light Side..."quicker, easier."

"If you think you can, you can."

Just like the little red train that could [face_laugh]

24. hovardt

hovardt Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 5, 2001
    I doubt we'll see a grand booming event by use of the force. It would have been legendary and known by everyone in the OT. Even after 20 years, few people had respect for Jedi if they've even heard of the force at all.

Vader had a HUGE respect for the force. He knew somebody could potentially use it to destroy the Death Star, overcome death, or take over the Galaxy.

25. Dagobah_Denizen

Dagobah_Denizen Jedi Youngling

Nov 20, 2002
    I think Obi-Wan had the respect of everyone in that Mos Eisly (<-sp?) Cantina when he loped that ugly guy's arm off. They probably all knew he was a Jedi b/c of his weapon.

Maybe nobody knows specifics anymore, or they are skeptics because they have never seen Jedi in action. Han didn't believe b/c he had never seen any evidence. Obi-Wan in the Cantina probably made everyone think "Oh, heck, they do exist!"

I believe we will see just how powerful the Force can be in Ep3 b/c of Vader's line. It's just that everyone in the OT is a generation behind... they've only heard the stories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.