main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force"

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Spike_Spiegel, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. generallee5

generallee5 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2003
    It could depend on your view of power. (Like Joruus C'baoth in the Thrawn Trilogy.)

2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  3. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    I doubt we'll see a grand booming event by use of the force.

i'm not quoting this post to dispute it. just to make a point. we already have seen a grand booming event. sidious/palpatine has clouded the minds of 10,000 jedi. he stands in a room full of jedi masters and is able to hide the fact that the force is strong in him. if that isn't grand i don't know what is.

think about vaders statement. while i wouldn't call destroying a planet "insignificant," i will point out one thing about that power. once you destroy the planet it's gone. so you've truly gained nothing.

the reason that is nothing compared to the darkside is this. using the darkside the emporer was able to influence an entire galaxy and take it intact. he bent the minds of all the jedi and decieved them, ultimatly so far as we know, taking them by suprise and destrying them.

to me that would seem to be true power.

4. DARTH_VADER_AND_C3P0

DARTH_VADER_AND_C3P0 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 8, 2003
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force

I think it means that the Force is more of a thing to tout or compliment.

5. DARTH_VADER_AND_C3P0

DARTH_VADER_AND_C3P0 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 8, 2003
    How about you post a thread about this line:

Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion hasn't helped you conjure up those stolen data tapes, nor has it givrn you clairvoyance enough to find the Rebel's hidden fort.

That would be a good idea for a thread.

6. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Interesting, I posted a similar thread to this in the non-spoilers forum recently! :p I didn't even know this one existed.

Anyway, to quote myself:

This line got me thinking. Is there any possible thing Anakin/Vader could do in Episode III more powerful or destructive than destroying a planet?

Obviously, this line may not need to be taken literally. But there's always that chance, so I'll explain some possibilities.

Look at another line "Some day I'll learn to stop people from dying."

I definitely think the power to stop people from dying would be more powerful than the ability to kill people. So, what would lead Anakin/Vader to a situation where he prove both quotes that I listed?

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is obviously Padmé. Thinking further, the thought that she could be at near death and Anakin somehow keeps her blood flowing/heart pumping/brain working/organs working would be very powerful to the plot. He keeps her alive.

But then, if he saves her, what would lead him to the dark side? Seeking revenge on whoever hurt her would be too obvious, but then so would someone killing her afterwords. So, just for a minute, let's keep Padmé out of the theory.

Could Anakin have a personal experience where he realizes that saving someone with the Force is much more powerful than killing them without it... by another Jedi saving him?

Could the prophecy be so important that the Jedi come to the realization that fulfilling it is more important than the Order itself? I think so. If Anakin really is the chosen one, then restoring balance to the Force is much more important than the Jedi as a whole. If Anakin is the only one who can do it, the rest of the Jedi have no chance.

With the birth of Luke and Leia, the Jedi will know there's "A New Hope" for the galaxy. They'll know that with offspring of the Chosen One, there will be hope for the survival of the Jedi Order. I'd even go as far as to say that redemption by the offspring is part of the prophecy. I could be wrong, but it's a possibility. Perhaps the Jedi look up the complete prophecy, and hear/see it in it's entirety.

If this is so, the Jedi must sacrifice themselves for Anakin to live, no matter how far into the Dark Side he falls, no matter how far the galaxy as a whole drops into darkness, no matter how many Jedi die. All that matters is that the Skywalkers live, so that Anakin will be redeamed by one of his offspring, bring balance to the Force, and allow for a new Order of Jedi to be trained in a different way than the Jedi of the Republic.

So, how would this work out? Perhaps Anakin has another duel of some sort. Perhaps he's injured in a space battle. It doesn't matter as long as he's injured. It could even be the lava theory. Actually, let's go with the Obi-Wan duel, however it takes place.

Anyway, Anakin is injured. Badly. And he needs to be saved. Obi-Wan (or insert the injury here) has gotten him badly injured. He's about to die. But Obi-Wan saves him. Obi-Wan knows the importance of his survival, puts a woopin' on him to show who's master. (... I was but the learner, now I am the master ...)

Then Obi-Wan does the unforgiveable. He saves him with sheer Force power. Anakin, at this point, would rather be dead he's in so much pain. But Obi-Wan saves him. This could perhaps be the main factor leading to his wish to destroy the Jedi. He realizes being able to "stop people from dying" may not be a good thing. He'll feel regret for the vengeance he took on the Tuskens. The guilt will drive him farther to the dark side.

On a similar and more unlikely note, Mace could be the one to save him. This would make the "OMG MACE IZ TEH TRAIT0R" people happy, until logic is once again shoved in their face. By saving Anakin, Mace would appear a traitor to the galaxy, but be a hero to the Jedi. He saves Anakin, then Anakin eventually restores balance, and well you get the point.

But I think it would make it more powerful

7. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    I loved that post. Brilliant. I would applaud if I could over the 'net. :)

8. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    *bows*

Did you check out the thread I linked? I added a lot of thoughts in it. I still have a large reply to make when I have time, too.

9. jabba_the_nut

jabba_the_nut Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 17, 2003
    I think it's been shown pretty clearly that mastering the force will get you a lot farther in the SW universe than being able to blow up planets ever could.

Of course, "the power of the force" is a lot greater than any one person's ability to use it. The force shapes the destiny of the entire galaxy; the death star gets taken out by a farm boy with his eyes closed shortly after completion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.