main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Absurdity of G-Canon in the EU

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Silas Nightstalker, Feb 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silas Nightstalker

Silas Nightstalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2012
    So I've been diving into the EU again, and also reflecting on the comments of Almighty Lucas regarding certain characters.
    As fans, we generally take whatever Lucas says as gospel, even in the EU. After going back over several novels, I just think it's ridiculous.

Lucas doesn't read the EU. He would reject ideas without actually reading any of the novels. He killed Anakin Solo for crying out loud! Claiming that fans would get confused, yet not realizing that any SW fan that reads the novels is a big enough fan to tell the difference.

Lucas stated that Sidious is the most powerful Sith of all time, but we can really only apply this to the movies, because the Creator is not invested in the novels. In the novels, I really honestly feel the Plagueis is more powerful than Sidious. Sidious was afraid of him! Yet Lucas states that Sidious is THE most powerful. End of discussion.

I reject G-Canon in the EU. It is a completely separate universe, and should be treated as such. Timothy Zahn, Aaron Allston, even the dreaded Troy Denning have all invested just as much into the EU as George did to the original trilogy and the much maligned prequel trilogy.

This, of course, is just my opinion. :)

LONG LIVE THE EU

2. Darth Aphrodite

Darth Aphrodite Jedi Master star 3

Jun 17, 2015
    I could talk at great length at how the hand of Lucas forcing a switch leading Anakin to be axed instead of Jacen was just beyond stupid though I'll be accused of being a rabid fangirl! :) any fellow fans of Anakin Solo are more then welcome to PM me to hear me rant in private lol

I think Sidious was obviously in fear of Plagueis, the fact he slayed him while he slept is proof enough. To be fair to Palps though I think we can assume he is vastly more powerful by the time of the era of the movies then when he was apprentice to Plagueis. Also I say Palps was more a strategist then a fighter, only directly engaging when he had to deal with the matter himself.

3. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I never cared what Lucas said. I don't care what Disney says. I read/watch what I wanna and NO ONE is gonna tell me otherwise.

4. Darth Aphrodite

Jun 17, 2015
    This is positive thinking! I for one applaud it :)

5. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    I've been viewing so many different VS's threads across the internet, and every time Sidious is matched up with any other Sith Lord, the response is always, "Sidious stomps" "Sidious destroys"...Sidious is powerful, but I have to assume that he's not THAT much more powerful than some other legendary Force Users, like Revan or Exar Kun.

6. Darth Aphrodite

Jun 17, 2015
    Are Reven and Exar Kun even cannon any more ? Just curious as it's tough remembering what's still cannon after the old EU exploded

7. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    The only thing canon now is all 7 films, TCW, Rebels, and the books released after Disney bought Lucasfilm. I still keep them in my headcanon.

8. Darth Aphrodite

Jun 17, 2015
    Well in my head cannon Jar Jar is a sith Lord so I understand the necessity of a personal cannon as I've got multiple myself :)

9. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    To me, the X-Wing novels and Heir to the Empire have more depth and power than the films. Yes, I know they are derivative of the films, but the characters and worldbuilding allow me to immerse myself without having to ask such questions as, "So, wait, how long did Luke know Ben? How long did it take to get to Bespin? Why did Han get a promotion while frozen?" Star Wars is ALL of the stories in the universe, not a black hole of movies and tv shows with books desperately orbiting before they are swallowed by its maw ;)

10. Darth Aphrodite

Jun 17, 2015
    I like to play mix and match with my cannon :)

11. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
    if you've ever gone back and read the exploits of kun analytically, he really isn't all that impressive and was only even remotely that powerful due to the amulet. since it's an external source you can't really say that HE was that powerful, so much as he found a way to utilize power vastly beyond what he could have normally done.

as for revan... well, look at it this way. bane used revan as a starting point for the master/apprentice sith order that culminated in sidious. the entire idea behind that was that the next generation would be stronger, and while their were hiccups in this plan in general, you can see how it did ultimately work out. i mean, sidious did things that no other sith had ever even considered, the force storm in dark empire for instance. he rediscovered the ability to transfer his essence into another body, bane was the last person to ever figure that out and that died with him since he never told zannah about it. BUT, revan wasn't even the most powerful sith of that period. that'd go to the emperor of the sith empire in the TOR novels, and it shows how much stronger than revan he was in the revan novel. if we're looking at someone who might be more powerful than sidious i'd have to go with him, since he lived for something like a thousand years and ate an entire planet to gain not only the power but immortality that went with it. that's power on a kind of different order of magnitude, really. he and sidious are more or less the two most demonstrably powerful sith in the old EU, simply because they did things that were not only beyond the power of other sith, but beyond their ability to even conceive of doing.

that's my two cents on that any way.

12. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    @Darth Aphrodite I'm working on a Pre Saga history thread. Should expect it to go up in the Literature section.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.