main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Academy Coming to Anaheim?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by DarthTiki, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTiki

DarthTiki Jedi Master

May 16, 2002
    According to the latest article over at Miceage, the folks at Team Disney Anaheim are looking at replacing Club Buzz with a Jedi Training Academy for boys and girls.

From Miceage, Credit: Al Lutz (who in my honest opinion...we won't get into it):
    "Where the real action will be for the boys in the family is over at Tomorrowland Terrace, where the Jedi Training Academy will be located. Notice how we didn't say "Club Buzz." Finally, mercifully, they've given up on the silly Club Buzz name no one ever really used and will be returning to the old Tomorrowland Terrace name instead. The facility is set for a remodel and the garish Buzz Lightyear color scheme and decor will be replaced. (Currently there's a holdup with the very touchy George Lucas organization over these plans, but they still should meet the October deadline.)

The Jedi Training Academy is the testosterone-laden version of the Princess Fantasy Faire, with little boys given the opportunity to train with an official Jedi on the fine art of lightsaber fights and generally brave behavior against an evil enemy. The highlight for this event is when the Tomorrowland Terrace stage (gosh, that's nice to say, isn't it?) rises up out of the ground and Darth Vader and Darth Maul both emerge from a cloud of fog to test the mettle of the newly trained Jedi's. You can imagine who will win every single battle, and sales of plastic lightsabers will certainly soar. Imagine the thrills (and walloped ankles) thousands of visitors will then experience as the little Jedi darlings get set loose to roam Disneyland with lightsabers in hand, as parents ignore their rambunctious, if not just plain hooligan-like behavior."

Discuss.

2. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    He only mentions little boys. Pretty misogynistic, in my view. Girls like to get out there and whack around with sabers, too! (I am one of those ;) )

3. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Awww! I wonder if it'll be like the thing they had at Celebration III, which was at once the most adorable and most terrifying thing I've ever seen.

4. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Yeah, I'm afraid, too. [face_worried] I saw a video from that.

5. DarthTiki

DarthTiki Jedi Master

May 16, 2002
    The guy is a blowhard who tends to find everything wrong with the way the Mouse-empire is run and magnifies it. I agree with you Jedi-Loreen in your sentiments.

6. HardwareStoreJedi

HardwareStoreJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2006
    Thirded. Anyone who doesn't think little girls should wield lightsabres needs to taste my blade!!! ;)

7. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    Wow, how sexist is that. Girls can only be Princesses and the boys are Jedi. I hope they rethink that pronto.
    (say the lady who wears TK armor or a Queens robes, depending on the event)

8. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Yikes, that figures. I honestly get that vibe from some guys about the whole 'girl as a jedi' 'girl holding a lightsaber' kind of thing. It's similar to the attitude some men give to women who do sporting clays or target practice.

You'd think Disney would know to be a little more PC!

Otherwise the jedi academy thing sounds cool and a way to keep Star Wars alive :)

9. MasterYe

MasterYe Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2006
    they only mentioned little kids. what about the 19 year old (such as the likes of me) who wants to be a trained jedi and fight darth maul and vader?!?!

10. DarthTiki

DarthTiki Jedi Master

May 16, 2002
    It's not Disney saying this it's the writer of the collumn, Al Lutz.

11. Lelundrial

Lelundrial Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2004
    Yeah that also. Not only do I have a problem with the sexisim, but then there is ageism(sp?) as well.

12. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    A Jedi Academy at the Tomorrowland Terrace would be a nifty thing. Tomorrowland always seems to be lacking a little to me but with a second Star Wars themed addition it'll be more fun!

I will be gleeful to watch my little boy's reaction one day seeing Darth Vader and Darth Maul rise up on that stage. :) And I'm sure there will be just as many little girls running around with sabers too. :)

13. Jaren_Valnor

Jaren_Valnor Jedi Master star 2

Sep 19, 2004
    Whenever I've been to a Jedi Training Academy event, it's mixed gender, but no one over, say, 11 years old. You know, we teenagers want to beat the life out of the Sith, too!

14. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    I'm sure both Disney and the actors (that will play the Darths) don't want a 19 year old (adult) whacking at the actors with all their might.

They might even have a "no taller than this" sign posted so that ONLY younglings can play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.