main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Actor's Studio on the Bravo Channel

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Palpateen, Sep 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

What do you think of the James Lipton interviews on this show?

I think it's amazing over the last 7 years all the people he's managed to have on the show. The guest list is unreal. People that don't often do TV will show up for this
    one. It's given me a lot of insight into performers and directors. The Billy Joel one, for 2 hours, was one of the best.

Loved Kevin Spacey. He was hilarious.
    Loved Steven Spielberg who seemed genuinely moved and surprised by the crowd reactions.

Loved the SPOOF of Lipton by Will Farrell.

[face_laugh]

Favorites? Comments?

2. DARTHPIGFEET

DARTHPIGFEET Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2001
    I call this the elite version of VH1 Behind the Music and E! True Hollyowood.

I've watched it a few times and I swear you would think Liton was interviewing God on his show everytime it comes on. Sure some of the people he has on there are truely greats in their field like Spielberg was a good show, but some of the other ones COME ON!!!!!

I remember the one he did with Kevin Costner. Now don't get me wrong Kevin has done some darn good movies like Silverado, and the Untouchables and directed one of my favorite movies in Dances with Wolves, but after that what is there?????? He made Costner out to be a God.

I think it's written in the contract to be on the show that Lipton will kiss your *** if you show up.

The other VERY annoying thing which happens on that show is when so called film students/actors ask the dumbest questions I've ever heard asked. Sometimes you can look at the person that is being interviewed and see he/she is saying "You will not make it".

3. Super_Nation_Jock

Super_Nation_Jock Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2002

Will Ferrell on Saturday Night Live spoofed Lipton once where he oohed! and ahhhhd!
    at Screech, the skinny geek from SAVED BY THE BELL. He talked about him like he was the greatest actor of his generation!
    It was hysterical! [face_laugh]

Lipton does seem to have a sense of humor about himself. On the Retrospective show he did recently he had Ferrell as Lipton interview HIM, Lipton. At one point the real Lipton turned to the audience and as an aside said, "If I didn't know better, I'd think this guy was trying to suck up to me!" :)

4. MasterPulp

MasterPulp Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 17, 2002
    I saw that SNL sketch! He called Scrrech "A Golden God"!! I cried laughing.

I think it's a really cool show. It kind of puts a different perspective on the level of talent of his guests. A few of them I never really appreciated before I saw them on the show.

5. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    Last week's one with Johnny Depp was great. When Lipton interviewed Stallone he had to leave huge gaps in his career! It was just Rocky and Rambo that was it!

6. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    I love The Actor's Studio. But my favorite is when the actors shoot Lipton down or openly tease of him for being a total suck-up.[/i]

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The re run of the Harrison Ford interview is on right now.

My favs are:
    Harrison Ford "I broke it."--Talking about his helicopter.
    Anthony Hopkins
    Depp
    Spielburg
    Tom Hanks

I hope George Lucas gets on this show and we get a couple of hours worth.

8. DARTHPIGFEET

DARTHPIGFEET Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2001
    This week it's Bencio Del Toro. A very good actor who will be made out to be the next Marlon Brando or Anthony Quinn by Lipton.

Anyway I would like to see how he conducts an interview with GL if GL agreed to go on the show.

9. Baron_Fel

Baron_Fel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    Thanks to that show, I know Harrison Ford's favourite curse word.

10. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

I was surprised at how reserved and inarticulate Robert DeNiro was. Not
    very open.

11. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    That's as open as Deniro gets in public. The funniest moment on the show was one with Julia Roberts. They were talking about PRETTY WOMAN and about the research she had to do. Lipton says:"I also did some research on prostitution, this was in Paris..." and Julia and the whole room burst out laughing! Lipton then goes:"It's not what you think! But I have to tell you that the whores I knew in Paris.." Julia then does like a spit-take of the water she was drinking!

12. Darth_SnowDog

Darth_SnowDog Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    It's freaks like Lipton who are the reason I never went to film school.

:D

I like the people he brings on, and the stuff they bring to the table... but when he goes on pontificating like a cultural elitist buffoon, and especially when he throws out his now-cliche insert-random-artsy-French-babble-here near the end of an episode (which I've seen Will Ferrell imitate with hilarious, and yet disturbing, accuracy)... I swear I want to reach in my TV and smack the !#@($!& out of him... and that decorating fruitloop guy, too.

Will Ferrell also did a pretty hilarious imitation of him... whatever his name is. That guy is like a psychotic cross between James Lipton, Raffi and the personality of Carrot Top.

13. SkywalkerSolo

SkywalkerSolo Jedi Master star 3

Jun 26, 2002
    I love it!!!! Listening to the Actors and Directors has been fantastic, you can learn so much! I was so mad when my cable providor stopped caring for 3 months, but they brought it back before I went with my film geek posse to beat them down...heheheh -Sky

14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    "If Heaven exists, what do you want God to say to you at the Pearly Gates?"
    "Uh, you're a lot better looking in person?"

[face_laugh] ooh, Harrison Ford :p

I think (honetsly here... as objective as possible) that Kevin Spacey's was the best yet. I mean, 10 straight minutes of impressions PLUS tap dancing... can't beat that ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.