main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Adventures of Tintin: Tintin Wins Best Animated Feature at the Golden Globes

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by JediTrilobite, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Just watched it. It was marvelous. Pure fun in both dialogue and action. Nicely balanced, the story set up the action and the action set up the story, as it should be.
    And what an action! Unbelievable in both content and the way camera moves around (literally unbelievable, fighting with cape on fire is one thing, but everything else in the flashbacks? I try to be careful with spoilers, because it has to be seen).
    It is as light-hearted as the comics from that period, but the most important thing - Haddock's drinking - hasn't been changed, it is a part of his persona and a plot point.
    3D still makes things blurry, and I'm actually believing it's because of 24fps. So Jackson, prove that 48fps makes it better.
    Deserves an Oscar.

2. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    I can remember Foyle's War being semi-decent when it started. Haven't watched it for years though, and it might just have been that Michael Kitchen is a superb actor.

I hated Stormbreaker (the novel, and didn't bother with the film), but Horowitz's Diamond brothers books were hilarious, and certainly have a tone to them that would fit in with Herge's characters nicely. I think Wright, Moffat and Cornish did a fine job for the first one (although powering the aeroplane with a belch was a bit too much).

3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999

I didn't know the graphic novels well when I was young but my boys have grown up with them. I'm excited about seeing it with the family.

4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Kitchen's genius and the beautiful production design are what made the series. The scripts were okay, but not great. I remember enjoying the show immensely back when it first started and haven't thought of it in years; thanks for the reminder. I'll have to go hunt up the DVDs now. Great comfort food television.

5. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Funny you all mention Foyle's War - my mother has just informed me she's got the DVDs for the latest season (which takes place post-WW2) and I'm hoping to check them out.

I like the series a lot - it's a nice change of pace to all the ultra-modern cop/investigation shows that dominate these days.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I did enjoy the movie, although it was essentially Indiana Jones with different characters in it. The first half of the film was better than the second, it went really overboard with major action scenes and whatnot towards the end.

It has been many years since I read any of the books or saw the TV show, but I don't recall Tintin ever using guns or fighting people. Spielberg seems to have turned him into some sort of action hero, which is not really what the character is about.

7. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/88/Tintin_cover_-_Flight_714.JPG]

Tintin uses guns in more adventures than he doesn't, and is always fighting someone. Many of Herge's books are loaded with action.

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, yeah, Tintin was always shooting at somebody. I remember this extended gun battle in The Seven Crystal Balls and he has a rifle practically the whole time in Prisoners of the Sun.

9. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    He definitely fought and used guns throughout his adventures. What really bothered me from this movie were two things:
    Tintin saying "bad news is I only have one bullet left, the good news is I only have one bullet left" that's a line I would expect from an Hollywood action hero not Tintin. The second thing is Haddock getting hit by lightning and burping into the gas tank, slaspstick humour gone too far it was so painful to watch I had to look away.
    :p

Still I really enjoyed the movie but for me the best element were the mythology gags, the references to other Tintin stories.

10. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    John Williams has made some interesting musical choices for his score for Tin Tin.

Tin Tin score Track 1

The movie's now made 207 million dollars overseas. We'll see how it survives the Twilight onslaught.

11. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    I liked Williams' score, but as predicted, the Nelvana theme is still the Tintin theme to me.

12. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Tin Tin is now up to 230 million dollars in ticket sales overseas. It made 25 million in England alone.

A lot of the overseas territories are slow to report their updates, so that figure will grow somewhat.

It hasn't opened in China, Mexico or Peru and it's run in Japan has only just started.

It opens in the U.S. on December 21st.

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, interesting. The main theme is very reminiscent of the main theme from Catch Me if You Can, as played by the Star Wars Cantina band, while Tintin's Theme is very reminiscent of Indy.

14. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Tintin isn't doing well in the US box office (what a surprise) has any US member here seen the movie yet?

15. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    It isn't doing well? It's only been out one day. Give it some time.

Besides, it's already made 240 million dollars overseas.

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I haven't been yet. I'm going this weekend sometime; probably Monday as I'm going to Girl with the Dragon Tattoo tomorrow.

17. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    **** you, Americans, for not being interested in Tintin. And I'm not just talking about the film.

People will slobber over Transformers and pay premium price, but they're not interested in a great comic series that has been adapted in an inventive, high-spirited method by a master filmmaker. Bah, says I.

Same goes for Hugo bombing. Disgrace.

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Man, I've read the **** out of Tintin. I loved those comics when I was growing up. I'll be watching the hell out of this movie when it's out on DVD.

Quit your stereotyping.:p

Oh, and for the record, I've never spent a cent on anything Transformers related.

19. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    I'm a Canadian. I never read them growing up; but I have read every one of them now.

20. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    People who are exceptions to the rule are by default awesome, of course.

But the box office doesn't lie. :(

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's disappointing, to be sure. I'm wondering just how many people are put off by the surface similarities to The Polar Express. Never mind that it's a fair cry from that uncanny valley nightmare.:(

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Don't know anything of the books. Amusing flick that combines Indiana Jones & POTC within a boy detective framework. Animation is pretty neat- you almost believe your watching live action much of the time. Performances are generally good (and, despite seeing his name in the opening credits, it took me a long time to figure out who Serkis was playing- damn that guy is good) and the action sequences are pretty fantastic (including an incredible complex single-take chase sequence and a great dueling cranes one).

Only downside is it sometimes becomes a bit too cartoonish at certain intervals unnecessarily (Thompson & Thompson most often), which kinda distracts from the reality the rest of the film presents.

That and the film has one of Williams most unmemorable scores- like it's constantly trying to lay the groundwork but then cuts off just as it seems it might be building to something worth listening to.

23. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    Tin Tin will do just fine, it's box office performance increased 45% from Thursday to Friday. The weekdays leading up to Christmas are usually pretty tepid for box office because people are very busy shopping and traveling and preparing for the big day. I think the Christmas weekend, particularly Sunday will mean good things for Tin Tin. And next week should be good. Overall it's gotten excellent reviews. I think by the time it's all over, Tin Tin will make about 90 to 100 million dollars in America.

It finished in the top 5 on Friday, it was in 5th place, right behind Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

I don't think Spielberg or Jackson ever expected that Tin Tin would do great in America, which is why they started opening it overseas in October.

World-wide it needs to make about 400 million to break even and it's easily going to reach that mark.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It'll probably do ok, though will be leveraging the overseas total primarily. Decent word of mouth will help it so far as a more preferable semi-family film alternative to Chipmunks 3 for adults and I don't think the animation style will work against it.

But it's really going to get by on that angle alone, as Mission Impossible will dominate the action audience, while Dragon Tattoo and War Horse split the mature viewing audiences, with maybe Darkest Hour grabbing some genre fans and Holmes falling somewhere inbetween (certainly steals any "period detective" thunder from Tintin at the very least).

25. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Saw it today, really enjoyed it. The relationship between Tintin and the Captain was well developed and the action sequences were very engaging. My favourite part though, was all the little easter eggs and callbacks to other parts of the series - such as the characitures, the news articles and other items (Such as the golden crab in Salaad's mansion). Would love to see a sequal.