main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Advisory Council returns!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Commander Antilles, Mar 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    D'oh!

No... My socks are far more creative. Although I must give grudging props to Phantom_Will for registering "Pervertical" when he was mad at me.

Vertical

2. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

I remember Pervertical. That was a good one.

I sure do miss PW. I've seen a couple of his incarnations around, though.

AYBABTU?

3. Jeremyguy

Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1998
    heheh.... :)

4. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999

"Also, I think you guys are getting hung up on the whole "if they're supposed to represent me..." thing. You're looking at it wrong. They're not supposed to represent you, they're supposed to be representative of you ("you", meaning the general JC populace). Meaning they're just supposed to be a 'sample' group. A nice cross-section. You're not their constituents, and they're not your representatives. They're just the sample group that has been selected for now. "

this is exactly why i don't like the idea of permanent members on the AC, they are no longer representative of the general populace......they have become something else

5. Aunt Jar Jar Mimah

Aunt Jar Jar Mimah Jedi Master star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    (Ahhh, B'omarr. I wondered why he now insists on potato chips with ridges. I'm *constantly* buying Ruffles. Greedy little feline. What? My Lay's aren't good enough for you now??).

6. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    They never were good enough..

7. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    Let's see. What's a funny reply I can make about Lay's?

My head is swimming with possibilities.

8. Jay

Jay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 1, 1998
    "Also, I think you guys are getting hung up on the whole "if they're supposed to represent me..." thing. You're looking at it wrong. They're not supposed to represent you, they're supposed to be representative of you ("you", meaning the general JC populace). Meaning they're just supposed to be a 'sample' group. A nice cross-section. You're not their constituents, and they're not your representatives. They're just the sample group that has been selected for now. "

this is exactly why i don't like the idea of permanent members on the AC, they are no longer representative of the general populace......they have become something else

As I see it, the permenent members are to be kind of a stabilizer. We'll be there to welcome the new rotating members in and help get them up to speed, or what-not. While I suppose its true that the mods could do this, its been brought up that many of you think that many of the mods are not very connected to what we members think. So, wouldn't it be good to have a few members around to help out who are more connected?

9. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Advisory Council, eh...?

10. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    well my point is jeremy, and please don't be offended, that any member permanently given the status of AC member will lose touch with the common members, just as the mods do. I really don't see the having of permament members as being the best or even a good solution to the problem of stability on the AC.
    To me it would seem logical to adopt the measures used by many upper houses in democracies, that is, having 2 or more different teams of adivosors rotating at different times, so at most only say1/3 or 1/2 of the AC would be "fresh" or new. This would be more than adequate to preserve stability, if indeed that is such an important virture as to need protecting.

11. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

You know, staggered terms really doesn't seem like such a bad idea. That way, the entire crew doesn't spend such a great proportion of their term trying to get up to speed on their responsibilites and the current state of the discussion.

AYBABTU?

12. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    "Make them VIP's so it doesn't turn into a mini-ModSquad"

Who said that? I sure don't remember ever saying anything like that. But maybe you misunderstood me, Vert, when I said that if you gave the AC members VIP status, it would allow them to post in a forum that would be read only to the rest of the community. That way we get to learn on whats going on in the forum first hand without interfering the AC's job. And with that in mind, having the AC forum, private, would almost be like having a Modsquad Forum 2. That's what I said. Still confused?

And like I said, unless I'm having my own delusions of grandeur, giving members VIP status let's them choose colors but that's optional. If the AC doesn't want colors, so be it but they still would have VIP status.

13. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Ben, when you become a VIP you automatically get colors.

The default color scheme is red letters with a blue underline.

When someone gets promoted to mod, manager, or admin, their color automatically reverts back to that default until they change it.

So choosing whether to have colors isn't optional.

14. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    Vertical- Bah! He was just stealing one of my early ideas. Remember this sock?

15. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    Okay so lets say that the AC has colors. They start off with red but can also choose their own colors like this guy has. Couldnt they just choose the normal JC colors to make it look like they're average users? Or am I wrong on that too?

16. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    From what I have heard, you cant exactly get the JC colours. It doesnt work properly.
    Of course, thats only what I have heard.

Benny, I understand you want to make the forum read-only, but there are sensitive matters discussed there. Stuff that could get members (individually, or en masse) offended, panicky, or restless.

It really is a better idea to have it private.

I can completely understand your viewpoint. As a person standing on the outside looking in, when the blinds are drawn, you start wondering about what we are talking about.
    But if we open the blinds, and let you look in, will you be able to stand there and look, or will you be yelling and screaming to make your voice heard?

This isnt a modsquad version 2. For starters, we dont hear everything the modsquad is discussing. Additionally, we discuss some completely seperate topics in there, topics that (I would imagine) the modsquad doesnt discuss.
    The weekly updates from the AC will be enough to let you know what is happening. We are currently thinking of having a different format than the mods have their updates, and possibly more details. We want to be open with you guys, but we cant be 100% open. Some things need to be kept behind closed doors.

17. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    oh, and Ben, I change my colors cause i'm only being a VIP for 8 days so i'm being colorful while I can :)

The exact normal user colors aren't available, just close to them. Darth Ludicrus has the closest to normal colors (plus an underline))

¤Night

18. Jeremyguy

Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1998
    PB: [face_laugh]

Humble extra: I think you meant to address that to Jay. :)

19. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    Night, you mean like this? :)

20. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    IMHO, this is a bold and positive move by the Administration. There is a lot of scope for this to be beneficial to us, the regular membership.

Those of us who have been selected to sit on the AC (whether permenant or temporary) are taking the responsibility seriously. We want to add value to the JC and this is another avenue to do so. I'm sure that when the time comes for us to change places with others, there will be a broader spectrum of members represented.

This is an experiement and if we want to make a positive contribution to this community that we all post in then we need to make it work.

Consider us the bridge.

I for one am not concerned about colours or VIP status. The real honour is being able to contribute to the running/development of the JC.

21. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    I give the nod to Gandolf for spawning this idea. How about this - how about having permanent forum positions instead of permanent forum members, one permanent forum position for each of the major areas of the JC:
    1. Movies - a member taken from movie forums
    2. EU - a member taken from EU forums
    3. Community - a member taken from community forums
    4. Fan - a member taken from FanForce and Fan Activity forums

These permanent forum positions are rotated every six months, with EU and Community positions rotated the first half of the year and Movies and Fan rotated the last half of the year. This ensures continuity of operation, there will always be multiple senior members to help the noobs.

In addition to the 4 permanent members, there are three (or five or whatever) wildcard positions, rotated every three months, taken from anywhere on the JC.

Just an idea.

By the way, I think the whole concept is a good idea and the original members chosen are more than qualified IMO to speak in general for all of us.

22. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

What Asabrush said. All this talk about colors is nothing but arguing over semantics, and it's what's wrong with the place. People aren't discussing the great advancement in Administration/member relations that this represents, they're discussing how cool it would be to have their names in lights.

Incidentally, I've noticed that it isnt the AC that's arguing over colors, it's the unwashed masses ( ;) ) that they represent. How 'bout we get our priorities in line?

AYBABTU?

23. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Yes Nathan Like that :)

¤Night

24. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    This is our chance to make a positive contribution. Lets make it work!

Use us.

25. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Asabrush: I for one am not concerned about colours or VIP status. The real honour is being able to contribute to the running/development of the JC.

Exactly. That's why I'm always trying to keep my "Memories Spectacular" and "R5-D4" threads free from bashing. If these two could stay the safe havens that they are, I'd be happy. Many people seem to enjoy and appreciate that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.