main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Advisory Council: Term 5

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Daughter_Of_TheForce, Apr 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yes exactly. That's it specifically.

Just because you've not heard of us does not mean people in the forums we frequent don't know us. And that's not the point. We're here to provide feedback to the Administration on issues they bring to us. So long as we do that, why does it matter who knows us?

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    If by "people no one has heard of", you mean "people who post in forums other than the JCC and Comms", and by "to convince us it's not a popularity contest" you mean "to get wider coverage over various forums", then you'd be correct.

3. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    But the funny thing is I post in Comms! And I did long before I was on the AC!

4. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    Actually I think it's a good idea to put people from other forums on there. I just couldn't resist making a cynical comment :p

5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    To keep the drama at it's comfortable high level! ;) Good job! :D

6. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i wish the AC members all the luck in the world posting their "Communications" in a seperate forum (because posting alongside everyone else in this forum is percieved to be too difficult to manage by current moderators, thus -- the necessity of proper management, or at least active improvement of Comms is deemed unnecessary or unimportant) that no one cares about (besides the members chosen to represent it) to a small minority of active Moderators who actually use it.

7. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I wish you would realize that good communication in this forum and good use of the AC can and do co-exist meaningfully, epic. Members have always been free to post and discuss their issues here, and that remains the case for everyone.

8. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    I wish you would realize that i understand good communication in this forum and good use of the AC can and do co-exist meaningfully, KW. I also understand that members have always been free to post and discuss their issues here, and that remains the case for everyone. However, this is not my point, and never has been. My point is the need for the AC forum presupposes a lack in Communications (i have been told numerous times that if Comms was working to its optimum, the need for the AC would be non-existant) -- a lack that is, by the very permanence of the AC, not being worked upon or attempted to improve.

But nor do i wish to begin another debate on the subject, given the frutility of the last one.

9. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    i wish the AC members all the luck in the world posting their "Communications" in a seperate forum

Thanks, but I don't believe in luck.

10. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    In my experience, there's no such thing as luck.

11. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Speaking of, where the hell is the AC? They haven't updated once, and I never see most of them posting here at all.

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Let me post something Jim said earlier in this thread in repsonse to farraday that may answer your question about Updates from the AC, xie. I post this as the decision was made before AC5 was selected.

When was the last AC update btw?

AC updates were discontinued because of the complaints that they told the users nothing. Since the content of the updates was everything we discussed, we felt that continuing updates would only facilitate the Drama that was created through them by yourself and others.

13. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    AC updates were discontinued because of the complaints that they told the users nothing. Since the content of the updates was everything we discussed, we felt that continuing updates would only facilitate the Drama that was created through them by yourself and others.

[face_shocked] Oh man...I wanted to hear the new on AC5. :( :_| ...Ye I can uderstand that drama that they mentioned. 8-}

14. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Thats odd strilo, because when I asked other people they said it was because the AC was busy deciding the future of the AC and it couldn't find time to make updates, or something along those lines. That explination seems just as valid without the personal dig at myself and others Jim gave and you've perpetuated.

Now Strilo, I do hope you'll either reasses the need for updates or admit it's because the AC is more concerend with keeping themselves in the loop then the membership.

15. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    So Jim, we, we being the members, complained that the updates told us nothing, or gave too little information. The AC, being sensible, decides to stop giving updates all together, moving from what was in the minds of the members, virtually no information to literally no information, to resolve the problem of not giving enough information. About right? How are you supposed to represent us if we have no idea what you're even talking about.

edits/ spelling

16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Now Strilo, I do hope you'll either reasses the need for updates or admit it's because the AC is more concerend with keeping themselves in the loop then the membership.

I cannot confirm or deny events I did not witness. I merely searched for the answer that was given by someone who had part in the decision.

17. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Please don't bring this issue back up full scale, I'm just making a small comment.

If the AC is going to act all in it's private forum, and isn't even going to bother updating the regular members on what it does, then it has absolutely positively no legitimate purpose.

They aren't regular members if they don't communicate with us, so their viewpoint is skewed. They are receiving no input from the general JC populace, and the group as a whole is becoming more and more pointless.

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    They aren't regular members if they don't communicate with us, so their viewpoint is skewed. They are receiving no input from the general JC populace, and the group as a whole is becoming more and more pointless.

That might be true if the AC only posted in the AC forum and no where else. But last I checked we were all still posting in our usual places around the JC and as such, we communicate with other users and see what is going on around us, just like you do.

19. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    If that were true strilo, then the same is true for the MS, except they also do updates.

So your advantage again is....?

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    They do updates because THEY DETERMINE policy. The AC does not. We merely give the Administration our opinion when they ask for it or when we see fit to bring up an issue. I am not set either way on doing updates farraday. I would be fine doing them, if the Administration and the rest of the AC thinks it is a good idea then great. I am merely explaining the current mode of thought as I understand it.

21. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    I still don't see the point of a completely private group of members giving input. You're like a mini-mod squad.

22. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Strilo, you seem very enamoured with the idea of the Administration telling you what to do, are you sure you're the best person to be giving them advice?

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It is the Administration's place to MAKE decisions. It is my place during my time on the AC to give my OPINIONS. Trust me, I am very opinionated and not easily intimidated. I give my opinion freely and frequently in the AC. And for the record a thread about the status of updates and the AC has been opened and we'll see where it goes.

24. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Thats odd strilo, because when I asked other people they said it was because the AC was busy deciding the future of the AC and it couldn't find time to make updates, or something along those lines.

I can tell you from my time with the AC, that the above is not true. I was scheduled to do one of the last AC4 updates, but when I checked back to see if I should post it, it was decided I should not for the reasons Strilo posted, not the reasons you posted.

25. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I think the problem here is that AC updates do help. Certainly, I wanted to read them, because it gave me an idea of what were the most important issues that the AC was discussing and we were able to give our input. While everybody can still argue that at present, we can still give our input, the problem is that we don't know what type of discussion goes on in the AC. We don't know if what we raise is relevant or not. We don't know what's the probability that a suggestion we give will be useful to the discussion going on.

When I was in AC#3 we always made it a point to have a "Point of Discussion" every week especially so as to get the public view on a particular matter. And the response is excellent, I must say.

I think that's why people want updates - they want to be given a part in what's going on.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.