main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Advisory Council Weekly Update, May 17-24

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Tellesto, May 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, gather round, it?s time for this week?s Advisory Council update!

• -Tellesto posted the prototype version of the Advisory Council update, which was the last version, found here. Once the initial thoughts were gathered and some corrections on material made, Dev asked ?Are people still reading these things, or did they lose interest once it became obvious that we weren't conspiring to kill anyone?? After some further discussion Tellesto resolved to perhaps look into changing the Advisory Council update format in the future. ?I had a possible idea last night after writing the recent update: we could create updates that focus on one primary subject or issue and then have an open-end discussion within that thread on our thoughts to resolve the issue. That way, the membership can chime in if they like, yet at the same time they won't be utterly crushed under material.?

-After much inner debate and self-conflict, Tellesto worked through possible ways to display the new Advisory Council updates. At first he thought of a variety of crazy color schemes, interactive menus and unique code structure, along with syntax of possible cross-sections and information resources for the updates to have.
      (In the end I decided just to bag originality and use the same style that the Mod Squad updates used. Sorry if it?s a bit too anti-climatic for you. ~Tellesto)

-Further Discussion of PreacherBoy?s conduct and punishment took place with Darth_Dagsy questioning the moderating of a possible infracting topic that was posted. After asking why the thread was allowed to stay open for such a lengthy period of time Vertical informed Dagsy that it was a bit of a confusing situation and that eventually it was locked.

-To understand the moderator staff?s readiness of the May 16th date, Tellesto posted in an Advisory Council thread dealing with the AC?s role on that date, asking: ?What's the scoop on the AOTC discussion for May 16th and the plans you've made to control Newbies/redundancy/Gusher & Basher wars??
      Straight forward and to the point, Nathan replied with, ?Well, our plan for dealing with redundancy is largely dependent on the creation of official threads that will cover some of the main discussion topics as well as the need for many helpful members who can politely point redundant/off-topic users to the right threads/forums and PM online mods to lock the threads.

Our methods of controlling Basher/Gusher crap should be something along the lines of locking all "Basher sanctuary"/"AOTC Defense Forces" in PSA, as well as spanking people who aren't tolerant of other users' opinions. We need to really drive home the fact that the movie is not "good" or "bad". It really just depends on each person's individual preference.

Basically, we'll be intolerant of intolerance.?

That?s the plan Stan and they?ve stuck to it.

-Mr. P brought to the Advisory Council?s attention the idea of having a hardcore spoiler free forum for the Episode III discussion. We're currently talking about this matter; I?ll keep you briefed on the result of such discussion in future updates.

-Tellesto brought up a new idea of the Advisory Council expanding its role into the task of Moderator Evaluations. Basically, a series of evaluations would take place in which a moderator's current work would be studies and critiqued by the Advisory Council. Everything from moderator performance, relationship and compatibility with the members, attitude, and moderator style would be evaluated and possible ?issues? could be identified or measured. We?re still working on a complete model for this plan, but so far it?s been met with great response and interest from the administration, we even have a series of volunteers, the first of which is Liz Skywalker.

-Tellesto suggested yet another idea (does this guy ever shut up?) in the same thread as the Moderator Evaluations, this time proposing ?Exit Intervie

2. Wattowatta

Wattowatta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2000
    I demand my flashing lights and little chirping sounds.

Good job, Tel.

3. Tellesto

Dec 7, 1999
    You'll get your lights, ohhh you'll see, just you wait till the next Snowboards upgrade!

4. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    Good job. This, unlike the Mod Squad update, actually tells us something. Or could it be that you actually do more work than the Mod Squad...?

5. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Nice update. Maybe they should keep you on board to keep writing them up. I bet you'd just love that!

6. Wattowatta

Wattowatta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2000
    Woooooooooooo!

7. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    In the end I decided just to bag originality and use the same style that the Mod Squad updates used. Sorry if it?s a bit too anti-climatic for you. ~Tellesto

And with 10% less humor!

*rimshot*

8. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002
    much appreciated! thanks for the updates

9. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    interesting.

VH1 Behind the Music. So we all finally discover you're got a bid drug racket and just what you do to groupies?

[face_mischief]

¤Night

10. Tellesto

Dec 7, 1999
    Nice update. Maybe they should keep you on board to keep writing them up. I bet you'd just love that!

Actually, they found out that a room full of monkeys, typing on a series of 1994 series Mac computers produced the exact same type of update I'd produce. Naturally, they decided to go with the monkeys...if it works I suppose.

(Note to self, Doohhh..now Greg's making points off me!)

11. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Now with 42% less...

12. Tellesto

Dec 7, 1999
    I do try.

13. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Scary.

"Actually, they found out that a room full of monkeys, typing on a series of 1994 series Mac computers produced the exact same type of update I'd produce. Naturally, they decided to go with the monkeys...if it works I suppose. "

I have a Mac LC575 directly behind me; it?s a 1994 era Mac. It's got a 68040 processor running at 33, plus 36 Megs of ram and a 256 Meg hard drive. The computer I'm on now has more RAM than my old Mac has hard drive space.

What that had to do with this update, I have no idea. [face_blush]

14. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    The room I'm in has two iMacs, a G4 tower, and an iBook in it. Does that count for anything?

Oh, good update. Nice to know you guys are still working. ;) :)

Mel

15. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    i suggested this moderator evaulation idea abut 2 years ago i think, it was phrased a little differently, but you ssem to have the gist of it, although i don;t see mention of thebmboo wands and the circle of chairs, oh, and the volunteer should be referred to as "paper tiger" not "moderator"
    for example"

"the Paper Tiger Liz Skywalker submitted to the Honest and Righteous Scrutiny of the People. It was admitted that much work is to be done on the part of the Paper Tiger before true empathy with the Consciousness of the People is met, furthermore there must be no cladestine approval of Running Dogs and their Ilk by way of humerous asides"

16. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    How...scary.

Actally, the moderator evaluation idea sounds good.

Now, please don't jump on me for this, but may I ask why we are gonna have VH1 style interviews? If someone wants to get to know of the AC members, can't they just PM them? The point of Behind the Music and all is these are really, really famous rock stars that no one really knows.

17. Tellesto

Dec 7, 1999
    Well, my little VH1 bit was really just kind of a joke, the actual exit interviews are going to reveal more about the Advisory Council to the members by asking questions to former ACers.

Think of it like a backstage pass to Studio 51, Threads, Padlocks and Star Wars...the tale of the Advisory Council.

That's kind of why I thought of letting the members here come up with some questions to give us, so you could learn more about the AC and get a feel for what our experience was like.

18. yodaboy

yodaboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 5, 2001
    "You'll get your lights, ohhh you'll see, just you wait till the next Snowboards upgrade! "

the phrase 'when hell freezes over' leaps to mind...
    :D

19. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Ah. So kinda like a press conference, but better?

Cool. :)

20. Insane Anakin

Insane Anakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 1999
    I would love to see MODERATOR EVALUATIONs.

21. Jobo

Jobo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2000
    I'll be the interviewer! Sure, it'll be a bit awkward should I ever become an ACer, but that's pretty unlikely... thus, vote me! ;)
    _jOBO

22. Tellesto

Dec 7, 1999
    I was going to select the person personally, if I did choose that method, if not then I'd just start a thread and collect questions from there.

23. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Nice update Tel, but would it be possible for you to use the round bullets to bullet all the points in future updates? The "-" bullets are quite hard to read and furthermore don't look very professional. It's also not very obvious when the point ends, when it doesn't end in that paragraph.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Bah, can *i* be interviewer? [face_devil]

25. Tellesto

Dec 7, 1999
    Val, great points, I hadn't thought of the style in that sense...look for all new Val suggestions to be in the next update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.