main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Aesthetic of the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TheGhostOfZero, Jan 16, 2018.

1. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I filmed this in August, before I knew this rock would be featured so prominently in the film

2. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I appreciated the throwback nature of TFA's aesthetic approach; it was necessarily familiar, very well executed, but ultimately didn't enrich the saga much.

TLJ is a different beast all together. The most beautiful SW film in nearly 20 years, IMO. It's in the top 3, along side TPM and TESB, as the visually richest, most gorgeous of the SW films.

I mean these images speak for themselves:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That porg looks weird.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  4. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    I'm not saying this is a good thing or a bad thing either way, but the look of Snoke's throne room looked completely different from anything we've ever seen in a SW film. With the guards and all, it looked like something out of a Hellraiser movie to me. Very stark and scary.

My Palpatine Eyes and jaqen like this.
  5. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    Rogue one had the perfect aesthetic

Avnar likes this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Emphatically, YES.

TLJ is a Degas painting among line drawings.

KembaSkywalker and jaqen like this.
  7. Classified8

Classified8 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 8, 2016
    It's a beautiful film. I could watch it with the sound off.

Kalmanta, KembaSkywalker and jaqen like this.
  8. TheGhostOfZero

TheGhostOfZero Jedi Master star 2

Sep 5, 2016
    I like how at the beginning, this weapon...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And this one...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ... were largely panned leasing up to The Force Awakens, but have now become iconic to the ST.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  9. ST deluded

ST deluded Jedi Knight

Dec 28, 2017
    I love lightsabers of the ST, much better than in previous trilogies; also the phisicality of combat using them.

10. Vader0706

Vader0706 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2017
    Wait, has Kylo's saber been panned before TFA was released?! I don't remember anyone hating on it, but then again I wasn't here at the boards back in 2015 (although closely followed TFA's production).

How could someone not like it? His saber is one of the coolest things ever shown in the SW universe.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  11. TheGhostOfZero

Sep 5, 2016
    I recall people saying how stupid it was for Disney to change the design of lightsabers to something impractical that would just cut the user's own hand off when they swing it, and that it would keep lightsaber duels from being what we saw up to that point. I'm guessing it was just one of many minor controversies that sprung up out of fear that Disney owning Star Wars would ruin it.

Artoo-Dion and jaqen like this.
  12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Oh yeah, there were a lot of people complaining about his lightsaber back when the first teaser was released.

13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    When we got that very first leaked image of the Kylo Ren costume test there was a lot of jokes about it then too. Of course the image was really poor so it made the lightsaber look extremely silly. Personally I thought it looked stupid until we got a better look at it.

TheLastHaterOfZero likes this.
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Other then the safety hazards?

15. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Yep... I must admit I hated it when I first saw it - Then did a 180 and now love it! [face_dunno]

16. BlurryUFOs

BlurryUFOs Jedi Master star 3

Sep 24, 2016
    any body got issues with the colour desaturation in tlj? i don’t mind that style for other things like blade runner, and the dc films but i don’t like it for star wars, makes it seem like too much a bleak sci-fi film. people loved the look of it, but it was another thing that didn’t fit with the gffa for me

17. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I didn't find the movie that desaturated at all. Certainly not when compared to stuff like the DC movies. And not as desaturated as Rogue One.

jaqen likes this.
  18. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    Indeed Rogue One looked far more desaturated than R1, it had lots of powerful contrast colors...white/red imagery. Of course it's not Guardians of The Galaxy, and i wouldn't want it like that (too cartoony), i love the "lived-in, used future" of SW. But yes, R1 is the more desaturated SW movie. Which fitted to the story but felt a bit less campy than the others, and i like a bit of camp in my SW movie!

19. TheGhostOfZero

Sep 5, 2016
    Despite her use coming off more like cameos than anything else, I'm a big fan of Captain Phasma's design.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I don't think the Imperial design could pull off the chrome look like the FO redesign.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Shaak Ti likes this.
  20. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    I took my GF to see TLJ, who is not a Star Wars fan, whatsoever. I tried to gauge how she liked the film after we came out. The main thing she enjoyed most about the film was the aesthetics of it. She talked about how beautiful 'Luke's Island' was, how beautiful the fight was in Snoke's throne room, and how amazing the 'red sand' looked on Crait. I was so happy. I obviously knew that she wouldn't attach very deeply to things like lore and story, but Star Wars has so much to offer, and I was so glad that she was able to appreciate the visuals, the music, and the artistic crafting of the film as a whole.

FWIW, she had similar things to say about TFA. Her absolute favorite scene was the lightsaber duel in the snow strictly because of how absolutely gorgeous it looked. The colors, the snow falling, the trees getting cut in half around them. So, from the perspective of someone who has barely ever watched Star Wars movies, the ST is really knocking it out of the park visually, IMO.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  21. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    I just love the locations, specially in The Last Jedi (Ahch-To, Crait).
    The scenery was just superb, the use of the colors too.

22. BlurryUFOs

BlurryUFOs Jedi Master star 3

Sep 24, 2016
    i think it used grey tones/neutrals in the background to make the colour in the foreground pop mostly red or green. contrast as you said so it wasn’t desaturated really it’s that this film only used one hue at a time. it felt dour in a way R1 didn’t. canto bight was all white black and browns i hated it

scuiggefest likes this.
  23. Plan741

Plan741 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 22, 2015
    You've kinda nailed it there with the earthy statement. SW really brought some spectacular worlds to the screen; the earth like ones of course being tatooine, endor, yavin 4 and hoth. The ot had some really cool alien worlds too like bespin and dagobah. The pt introduced even more both real and set based worlds that were unique. But the ST is really failing me. Every set is just so boring. I mean they actually had a guy taste the stuff on crait and declare it salt so we wouldn't think it was another battle on a snowy terrain. Mazs castle is just in another forest. Jakku is a suburb of mos eisley . Dqar is a field. Canto bight is down the street from Monaco. I mean, whoa...slow down! Those worlds are just beyond my wildest imagination!

I think lucasfilm is so afraid of the backlash that they are paralyzed almost in the creative process, at least in regards to the saga films. I really really liked RO and Solo looks great and I feel it is because they are working within established continuity and the aesthetic that goes with it. I think with the saga they are terrified of experiencing what Lucas had to deal with for insisting on bringing something new regardless of the critical views against it that they are going to play it so bland to the bitter end.

QuangoFett and Glitterstimm like this.
  24. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I absolutely adore the look of the ST. It feels very much congruous with the OT, but with a personality too. My only gripe in TLJ was I would like to have seen some more variety in the FO starfighters. The TIE Silencer is very cool, but we only sawe the one Kylo is in.

Jcuk likes this.
  25. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Really liked the old skool design of the bombers and skipper ships on Crait. Also, the almost aquatic look of the Resistance cruisers was good.

Strongbow likes this.