main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Age of Heroes (post-NJO AU: Anakin, Jaina, Jacen, L/M, H/L, Tahiri, Kyp,Jag) Sequel 2/2/07!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by YodaKenobi, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Whoops, slow on the draw again. :p

Great intro on Jaina. Although I haven't read your precursor stories leading her to this point, you're definitely writing her in a way I very much like. :cool:

Interesting how the ship has so many implications... [face_thinking]

Looking forward to more. :D

2. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    YK,

[face_blush] *blushes with embarrassment* [face_blush]

I don't know if you caught this, but Anakin is 22. Her feelings will certainly not be reciprocated I'm pretty sure that wouldn't even be allowed on the boards. It will, however, be a source of some tension in the story.

Math was never my strong suit. And with Anakin surviving, the numbers left me. I don't know why I thought they were closer in age. *head desk* 8-}

Anywho, can't wait for more.[face_dancing]

3. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    =D= Sorry but I'm off to sleep... great post though!

4. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    :eek:

I wish I had time to really, really get into a response to the last few posts, but I'm still drowning in schoolwork. One week until I go back home to the States, though... [face_dancing]

But I will say this: I adore this story. The action scenes are already some of my favorite action sequences ever. They are perfectly Star Wars. Almost nobody writes as realistically and as vividly as you do. It gives me the chills just to imagine what goes on.

5. Magnuskn

Magnuskn Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Well, it´s a word much used in Buffy fanfiction fandom, about stories which don´t have much content besides the main characters having a good time and being schmoopy with each other. :-B Just FYI. :)

Magnus

6. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    TKL: No you're the best
    oke: oke:

Lex: Whoops, slow on the draw again.

*Coughs*

Great intro on Jaina. Although I haven't read your precursor stories leading her to this point, you're definitely writing her in a way I very much like.

Thanks, I hope it still makes sense to you. Let me know if it gets confusing.

Interesting how the ship has so many implications...

Yeah, there are lots of things to draw from it [face_mischief]

Looking forward to more.

Thanks, more will be up soon :) and thanks for reading :D

MirandaFair: *blushes with embarrassment*
    Math was never my strong suit. And with Anakin surviving, the numbers left me. I don't know why I thought they were closer in age. *head desk*

Don't be embarrassed, I figured it was just a misunderstanding ;) :)

Anywho, can't wait for more.

Thanks, more will be up early next week :)

TSF: Sorry but I'm off to sleep... great post though!

Thanks, sleep well :D

Rodian: I wish I had time to really, really get into a response to the last few posts, but I'm still drowning in schoolwork. One week until I go back home to the States, though...

Cool, I didn't know you were outside the US :)

But I will say this: I adore this story. The action scenes are already some of my favorite action sequences ever. They are perfectly Star Wars. Almost nobody writes as realistically and as vividly as you do. It gives me the chills just to imagine what goes on.

Wow, thanks a lot [face_blush] I'm glad you're enjoying it. That's about all the action there is for awhile so I hope it ties all the action-junkies over while we get into the heart of the story :D

Magnuskn: Well, it´s a word much used in Buffy fanfiction fandom, about stories which don´t have much content besides the main characters having a good time and being schmoopy with each other. Just FYI.

No, I know what "fluff" is, I just meant I'm not sure there's anything in this story that I would consider that. I normally try and have a point to every scene, but their are a few happy moments and some smooching, I guess :p

7. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    And I'm the last reply as always. :(

I just want to say that I hope Luke takes Mara down a level and there's more to the Jaina/Jag/Wrev love triangle. [face_mischief]

Oh, and when will my incredibly beautiful and intelligent girlfriend Danni show up? :p

8. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Whitey: And I'm the last reply as always.

Nothing wrong with that. It makes you stand out :p

I just want to say that I hope Luke takes Mara down a level and there's more to the Jaina/Jag/Wrev love triangle.

No comment on that [face_shhh]

Oh, and when will my incredibly beautiful and intelligent girlfriend Danni show up?

We'll see Danni in a few chapter [face_love]

Thanks for reading, Whitey :) :D

Okay, new post should be up in a bit. Hope you all enjoy it :)

9. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Chapter 5: Close Encounters

"I don't know who you are, but if either of you takes another step, you'll be very well-acquainted with my blaster."

The two cloaked figures traipsing through the stalks of ripening tulan towards the small domed abode they could see against a sunset of violet and tangerine halted upon the first word. It was a greeting Jedi had come to expect across the galaxy, but not one anyone could ever really get used to. On a planet as remote as Rivisa 6, where news traveled so slowly, it was understandable that many of its residence wouldn't know what to think of Jedi Knights— were they heroes or villains? It seemed to change from week to week. After the defeat of the Yuuzhan Vong, the Jedi were being widely embraced throughout the galaxy, hailed as saviors— on Rivisa 6, however, Tsavong Lah's call for Jedi to be given over to the aliens so the Yuuzhan Vong would stop their invasion seemed as fresh as the treaty at Coruscant, and even Emperor Palpatine's call for the Jedi's extermination didn't seem all that distant.

So it was understandable that two Jedi Knights on the farming world would be staring down the barrel of an old BlasTech rifle, clutched in the hands of a woman who looked as though she knew how to fire it.

The tallest one lowered the head of his black cloak revealing shaggy curls of black hair with a growing amount of silver etched in his temples and a pair of piercing green eyes. His apprentice did the same, long dark hair and eyes atop a still maturing frame. One just on the cusp of adulthood and the other moving towards mid-life— they might have been father and son, — in many ways, they were.

Over the last three years, they'd fought side by side, learned from one another, and bonded in the way that only Jedi could.

It was the older man who spoke first, raising his hands to communicate that he meant no harm and feeling relieved that the woman spoke basic. "My name is Kyp Durron— this is my apprentice, Valin Horn. We're Jedi Knights. We only wish to speak with you for a few moments."

The woman's grip on the weapon didn't slacken, her pale blue eyes keen, running skeptically over both men. Kyp guessed that she was in her late-thirties, with long tangled blonde tresses that rode Rivisa's cool breeze easily, her body tanned and sinewy from a lifetime of hard labor.

"I know you're Jedi," she replied, her voice thickly accented as she kept her weapon leveled at them. "My friends commed me from the space port when you arrived— we all know you're here... we just don't know why."

Kyp exchanged a glance with Valin, the younger man as tired as he was of getting these sort of receptions for something that should have been relatively simple, and ideally, cordial.

"Yeah, we'd already gotten the impression that outsiders weren't welcome here, but the blaster has certainly crystallized it," Valin replied, keeping his hands in the air.

The woman didn't seem to find Valin's deadpan remarks entirely amusing— in fact, she seemed almost oblivious to the fact that his comments were in jest and didn't flinch, keeping her blaster rifle trained on them as Kyp shot his apprentice a disapproving look this time.

"We're actually here to speak with you, Baliss," Kyp explained.

She didn't seem at all surprised that he knew her name, but perhaps living in such a small community bred people who came to expect everyone knew who they were. Still, her suspicion only heightened. "Why would two Jedi want to see me about anything?"

"About this," Kyp replied, gesturing with his hands to encompass the stalks of tulan. "All of it. It's amazing and—"

"My crop is already under contract— sold before it's been harvested so you can't but it. If you've come to steal it, you'll have to kill me first."

"No, no, you misunderstood me," Kyp said, though he couldn't help but think how easy it would have been to wrench the weapon away from her with a swift tug from the Force. "We don't have any interest in acquiring the tulan; we just want to discuss how it's possible that you've done this."

"A lot of people would like to know that, always asking me my secret," Baliss Phlora replied. "But there isn't any secret— I just care for my crops as best I can."

"Yes, but surely you can see how this goes beyond good care— these stalks are three times the size of normal tulan. You consistently yield the most crops on this planet year after year and have fed thousands, despite having far from the largest property."

The juicy tulan harvested from Baliss' field was so plentiful that she actually gave it away to many of the planet's lower class, which was many, and made the planet a fortune in the taxes it made from exporting the relatively rare delicacy. The fact that her crop was record breaking every season added an element of magic that only a Jedi would recognize.

"I don't know how it happens," Baliss explained, tears forming in her eyes as the barrel of the blaster began to shake. Kyp got the impression that she thought she was in some sort of trouble. "I just want them to grow so much... I pray for it... I am blessed; I haven't done anything wrong."

I know, I know you haven't," Kyp replied, his voice radiating serenity. "But whether you realize it or not, you're using the Force to make the tulan grow, to protect if from pests and harsh weather so it's maximized... it's a Jedi trait."

Baliss finally lowered her blaster, sobbing softly as she absorbed what Kyp had told her. In the Force, Kyp could feel her mighty presence, dormant and unnurtured, completely unaware of the power within her. "You came here because you think I could be a Jedi?"

"Yes," Kyp responded, smiling slightly as he began to believe he was getting through to her. "The Jedi are always searching for other Force-sensitive beings, which you certainly are, to help us serve the galaxy. Especially now when our numbers have been so drastically reduced by the Yuuzhan Vong War. You are clearly gifted, Baliss, and I can tell you're good-natured. Come with us to the Jedi Academy on Ossus and learn the ways of the Force— there you can understand this power you have and become a Jedi."

Baliss' forehead creased and her head shook, a if absolutely perplexed by what the Jedi Master had just told her, before her eyes found Kyp's again.

"Please leave."

Clean durasteel walls make up the cell that is traveling fast up to the command deck of the Errant Venture.

The cell is a turbolift.

Inside it are two beings.

One is aging and the other young.

One is master and the other apprentice.

One will probably never be welcome on a smuggler's vessel.

His name is Kyp.

The other is very welcome, on this Star Destroyer in particular.

His name is Valin.

This is his grandfather's ship.

In the last three years, Kyp Durron and Valin Horn have become a team. They have fought and bled together, they have flown, they've despaired.

They've cried.

They are father and son, for all practical purposes. Filling a void for one another. Kyp has almost no memory of being a "child." His parents were murdered and he was forced to work in the spice mines of Kessel until he was sixteen.

Forced into darkness.

The young man to his left is the child he wishes he could have been. He sees himself there.

Valin's father was killed three years ago on Coruscant. Corran Horn had been his hero— without him, Valin was lost.

Kyp is his guiding hand.

When Valin had strayed, it was Kyp who directed him away from the darkness he'd been forced into. He'd saved Valin from becoming him.

Kyp Durron is the Destroyer of Worlds. After Kessel, he'd fallen in with a dark lord and exacted one of the bloodiest acts of vengeance the galaxy had ever seen. He will forever be linked to the Sun Crusher and the destruction of Carida. The actions he can never undo.

What he truly sees in Valin is his redemption. He will save Valin from becoming the next Kyp Durron, by teaching him what he knows.

In this way, they will save each other.

They need one another for their own salvation.

In their time together, they have achieved victories and suffered defeats, both large and small. The rejection of the Jedi Order by one Force-sensitive woman doesn't even phase them. They've both seen much worse.

Horrors most of us can't even imagine.

Perhaps they are undaunted because both of them are happy.

Valin is young and strong. The scars of his father's death have slowly healed, and while they'll never fully disappear, they no longer bleed with anger for Nom Anor or even Wrev Caster.

He has a mother and a sister whom he loves dearly and the man to his right has become a great mentor and his best friend.

He knows this would have killed his father if Corran were still alive— but he also knows the old Rogue Squadron pilot would have appreciated the irony of it all.

Valin knows he is not so far from Jedi Knighthood and becoming like his father.

He is happy.

For Kyp, happiness is the strangest emotion he can imagine, because he has known so little of it. What he feels now is an anomaly.

He is a Jedi Master, seated on the Jedi Council in a time when the Order finally gaining respect again, and he can walk down the curving halls of Denon's temporary senate building and not hear the word "Carida" whispered.

He has a few friends in the galaxy he knows fully care about him— Luke Skywalker, the Solos, Valin.

But even more than that, what makes Kyp Durron happy now is something so simple and fragile that he's almost afraid to whisper it to himself at night.

He is in love.

For the first time, his life has a purpose, a direction outside the revenge or redemption, and he almost doesn't know what to do with himself.

What neither of them realizes is that their happiness is about to end more abruptly than it had begun.

On the Day the End Begins, they are as blissfully unaware of the great tragedies that will befall them as the others. Simply returning from Rivisa 6 after a normal attempt at recruiting a possible Jedi.

Neither of them will be able to stop the End— they will only play their roles.

They have returned to the Errant venture, where they will get the message.

From this moment on, their fates are sealed.

The doors to the turbolift slid open and Kyp stepped out, black cloak flowing behind him with Valin on his heels. While he was technically welcome on the Star Destroyer, Kyp could feel the animosity rolling off the crewmembers of the Errant Venture towards him— some things would never change.

While working with the smugglers for most of the three years since the Yuuzhan Vong War to feed, supply, and move the billions of refugees left from the violent invasion, many would never forget that Kyp Durron had been notorious for hunting down smuggling rings prior to the war.

In the larger perspective of things he had to bear, however, it was one Kyp could easily shrug off.

The pair made their way to one of the few crew quarters on the command deck. Before they reached the door, it slid away into the upper bulkhead and left a raven-haired woman who rushed out smiling to embrace her son.

"Hey, mom," Valin greeted, hugging his mother back awkwardly, aware of the crew in the corridor looking on. Kyp knew though, that for Valin, the Errant Venture was like a childhood home and the warship's crew were his aunts and uncles. Still, it was obvious that his mother's worrying nature, which had developed after Corran's death, would sometimes make him uncomfortable. It was only natural after losing her Jedi husband in such a violent fashion that she would panic every time her son was sent out on a mission until he returned.

"It's good to see you," Mirax Horn replied, putting her eighteen-year-old son at arm's length and looking him over with a critical eye to make sure he was all right.

"I'm fine, mom," Valin said as his mother's hands brushed some of his long dark hair out of his face.

"I know," Mirax smiled, ushering her son into her living quarters and throwing a smile Kyp's way, patting him on the shoulder and inviting him in as well.

The quarters were far from the typical crew dormitories found on board Booster Terrik's vessel, decorated with rare artwork and a plush blue carpet, somehow exuding a soft motherly warmth inside the destroyer's durasteel jaws.

"How did things go on Rivisa?" Mirax asked as the door slide shut behind them. Kyp and Valin had flown down to the planet two days before from the Errant Venture after learning of Baliss Phlora and her amazing gift— a slight detour that Booster was not at all pleased with, but didn’t want to lose his Jedi envoy and all the perks that went along with it as they ran the routine patrols of refugee planetoids, offering supplies and protection.

"Not well," Kyp admitted as he watched Mirax float through the room. "She wasn't interested."

"Nothing new," Valin groused.

It certainly wasn't.

While the Jedi may have been held in higher esteem than they'd been during the war, they were still having a very difficult time recruiting new Jedi after the Yuuzhan Vong. Even when getting past the overwhelming task of finding a being who was Force-sensitive, there were so few who were actually willing to devote their lives to the Jedi Order— especially when they knew what a thankless job it really was, and all the sacrifice it demanded. Most were simply afraid.

Baliss Phlora had been— afraid to give up the only existence she'd ever known, her friends and family, her farm— afraid to end up hunted by the Peace Brigade.

Kyp could hardly blame her...

Mirax patted her son's head before taking a seat opposite the couch the young man had deposited himself in. "It's the way it goes— not everyone is cutout to be a Jedi Knight."

There was a look, for just a moment, in Mirax's dark eyes that suggest she was distracted, and Kyp focused on it as he half-sat on the arm of the couch. "Something happened while we were away."

She looked back at him accusingly. "I hate it when you do that."

Kyp frowned guiltily but Valin was more attuned to Mirax's acute skill in brow beating. "You’re avoiding the issue," Valin grinned as he slid his arms out of the sleeves of his cloak.

It was Mirax who blushed slightly this time, for a moment she was a little girl who'd tried to slip something by her parents and been exposed, but her demeanor quickly turned somber as her thoughts fell to the heart of what Kyp and Valin were inquiring.

"We received a message from Master Skywalker on Denon while you were on Rivisa... Something's happened."

Kyp and Valin exchanged a glance as they considered the implications of the woman's words.

"What is it?" Kyp implored.

Mirax appeared uneasy. "It’s probably best to have Luke explain it to you— we recorded the message. It's on a holodisk on the bridge." She turned towards her son. "Go fetch it from your grandpa and come back here so we can watch it."

The young man hopped up, suddenly energized by the sudden mystery and left his mother's quarters at a restrained run.

Kyp and Mirax's eyes found each other's, now alone in the quiet quarters, a wry grin twisting her pink lips before the two sprung into motion. Their lips met in a deep kiss as Kyp's fingers tangled in her black hair, Mirax's arms going around his neck. It was as uncoordinated as it was urgent, but then, Kyp had always felt a little out of his element with her.

Somewhere after the point her scent made his head swim and he tasted salt on her lips they managed to part, gasping for quick breaths.

How long had it been? Only three days— it was getting out of hand, really. Kyp felt like a teenager, fumbling and awkward— which was mostly true. He'd never been in a long-term relationship before.

The only women who seemed to be interested in Kyp Durron, the man who had destroyed whole planets and stars, were the type who sent holo message proposals to serial killers awaiting execution.

His affair with the smuggler Strift Zonn had burned out as fast as it had started shortly after the Yuuzhan Vong War.

"I've missed you," Mirax managed between breaths.

Kyp nodded. "I thought he'd never leave."

Mirax laughed lightly before kissing him again.

With Mirax, it was completely different for him. She was a little older than he, and certainly smarter— he found himself amazed daily at her cleverness. Where once there had been a cutting wit, her venom often directed at him, there was now a tender side, the woman who'd raised and loved two children. She was beautiful in ways Kyp had never even considered before, and it took only the faintest thought of her to send his pulse racing.

In the last year, Kyp had fallen in love with her.

It was only natural, if not somewhat perverse, that after he'd taken on Valin as his apprentice and tried to guide him as a father in Corran's absence, that he would somehow gravitate towards the role of husband for Mirax— it was twisted, he was certain, but also not anything he had planned.

In the years that followed the Battle of Coruscant it had simply happened. As Kyp spent time training Valin and working with the smugglers, he inevitably ended up getting to know Mirax well. Her antipathy soon faded into something resembling gratitude for his care of Valin and eventually transformed into something else entirely.

In the beginning, he'd thought that they were simply very lonely, Mirax missing Corran, and Kyp missing what he'd never had— but as the months wore on, he found his thoughts consumed with her.

"He'll be back any minute," Mirax gasped between kisses.

"I know."

As happy as Kyp was, the bright beacon that he felt changing the course of his life was far from free of complications— even getting passed the discomfort of being in his first real relationship at 37, the fact that they had to keep the affair secret from so many people made Kyp feel as if the whole thing could implode at any moment, and often put him in a perpetual state of worry.

Beyond Booster finding out and possibly putting a death mark on him, what worried Kyp most was Valin's reaction— what would he think? Kyp had played the scenarios in his head a thousand times and none of the outcomes were good. He was Valin's mentor, comrade, and friend— if he ever found out, he would feel betrayed beyond belief. He knew the thought kept Mirax up at night as well, that her son and daughter would look at it as a betrayal of Corran, and Kyp often feared she might end it all because of that.

He found himself wondering at times what Corran would think— he couldn’t imagine he would be happy. No one could honestly be thrilled with the idea of their spouse moving on, least of all with someone they'd hated— and Corran had hated Kyp... he'd felt it. The two had butted heads often during the war, over strategy and Jedi philosophy, and Kyp had never liked the man. Over Corran's last year however, they had become something like friends, with Corran sitting on the Jedi Council in Luke's absence. A mutual respect was formed, and Kyp had even wept privately when the man was killed.

He could only hope that Corran would see what he was doing as trying to help his family...

"He's coming," Kyp said, breaking from Mirax completely this time as they both tried to smooth their clothes, which had become rumpled in their urgency, and wiping the remains of wet kisses from their lips.

They both did their best to act casual as the young man reentered Mirax's cabin, brandishing a small holodisk, as if they'd been discussing something as mundane as the market price of tulan on Rivisa.

"Grandpa said it was something about a ship," Valin said to Kyp in a very adult-sounding voice.

"A ship?"

Kyp's eyes found Mirax's and she only shook her head. "You'll see."

Valin loaded the disk into the holoprojector and the blue-hued image of Luke Skywalker appeared, detailing the arrival of the end, and inviting them to the apocalypse.

10. jagsredlady

jagsredlady Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2002
    [reply goes here] ;)

Aww, Kypster and Mirax [face_love]

Who is Baliss?

11. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    How's Red getting words of these so fast? o_O

Off to read...:-B

12. WynssaStarflare

WynssaStarflare Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Wow! Not only did Kyp take Valin as an apprentice, he took Mirax as a love interest. Why do I have the feeling that somewhere Corran Horn is rolling over in his grave?

Too bad they couldn't recruit the potential Jedi. Being a Jedi certainly has a lot more downsides than upsides, I can understand why no one wants the job.

Great post!

13. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Kyp and Mirax? :eek:
    Did not see that one coming. Not at all.

14. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    YK: :eek: :eek: :D :D Amazing. Just... amazing...

You redeemed Kyp...

Wow. :)

- The Imperial Ewok

15. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    Sonofa...

I don't even know how to react. You're brilliant. BRILLIANT. I second what Thrawn said: you've redeemed Kyp. Gah. I can't think clearly. I'm losing my mind.

Brilliant. Totally brilliant.

16. Jags_Scoundrel

Jags_Scoundrel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2003
    Wow. (picture that jawdrop smilie here!)

Poor Corran. He must be in, well, wherever Jedi go when they become one with the Force just going ballistic.

I feel sorry for Kyp, too. Sounds like the poor guy has truly found love...in quite a difficult situation.

Baliss sounds like an interesting character. I hope that she changes her mind and we get to see her again.

Great post, as always! :D

17. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Kyp and Mirax????????? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Never saw that one coming.

18. FORCEBlLADE

FORCEBlLADE Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 2, 2003
    KYP AND MIRAX! Ewww. I didn'expect to get creeped outin this fic. What broutn that idea?

19. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Woohoo! I've caught up at last. Fantastic story. I'm especially enjoying your new narrative style with the dual "voices" - the all-seeing apocryphal one is a fascinating idea. Good for you. :) I'll be interested to see if the voice is as all knowing as it makes out however. ;)

The early scenes establishing Anakin and Wrev's places in the current discord are personal favourites, but I also enjoyed your introduction of Jaina immensely.

Unable to activate the shields after struggling with the tractor beam, Anakin knew the Kuat engineered fighters couldn't take much more of the battle droids' abuse and hope to fly out with any semblance of space-worthiness. When one of the hulking droids attempted to attack the ship from its stern, he kicked his sublight thrusters, letting two meter long cones of blue flame erupt from the drives and engulf the hapless SoroSuub creation.

Anakin's maroon-painted Eta-7 shot across the hanger deck, clipping a pair of battle droids with the ship's stubby wings and spearing one with the forward mandibles, the impact jolting the young Jedi forward as R2-D2 let out an angry screech from inside the port socket. Fearing serious damage, Anakin cut the drives and broke hard, his fighter skidding across the deck and spinning 180 degrees to avoid the barrage of streaking crimson.

Just one of the examples in the early chapters of the sense of historical connection to the past - especially to Anakin's special connection to his grandad in those echoes of TPM.

I'm also enjoying the way you're setting it all up by bringing in the various characters slowly and showing what they've been up to and where they're at now. And all the time that voice of doom prognosticating that the future ain't going to be comfy. ;) :D Although no doubt we'll all enjoy the ride.

Looking forward to the next post - and also being able to keep up this time. LOL [Turns on DRL with large ion cannon.]

20. _Jedi_of_Destiny_

_Jedi_of_Destiny_ Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2003

Kyp and Mirax's eyes found each other's, now alone in the quiet quarters, a wry grin twisting her pink lips before the two sprung into motion. Their lips met in a deep kiss as Kyp's fingers tangled in her black hair, Mirax's arms going around his neck.

:eek: 8-} :eek:

I have to agree with everyone. I never saw it coming! Where the heck did that come from? [face_shame_on_you] Ya know I should have expected....after I put up that fake post in MPtT...but this was real! And....very suprising! :D

If Corran wasn't already dead.......he'd kill himself. [face_plain] :p Anyways, an interesting move. It will be exciting to find out what the repurcussions of this relationship will have on Valin.

I also loved how Kyp and Valin's relationship has developed into a father/son best friend-like bond. :cool:

And can I say again how much I admire your writing style? o_O

Fantastic post, Wes. I'm very impressed. :D

21. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    I would have never thought of it, but I love the idea of your Kyp & Mirax. The way you have matured Kyp in this story is great.... he's grown from his experiences. :eek: That was a beautiful chapter! =D= Valin was cool too.

Oh by the way... I love the narrative style you're usng with this story. It's really setting up that ominious feeling of The End IS Coming!

22. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    whoa whoa Kyp/Mirax? I almost forgot that Corran's dead!

The actions he can never undo.

Well, to quote one of my favorite characterse from another 'verse, A deed, once done, cannot be undone, but perhaps it may yet be mitigated.

23. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Red: [reply goes here]

No rush ;)

Aww, Kypster and Mirax

Glad you like it :D

Who is Baliss?

Baliss is an OC. You will probably see more of her in the future.

Thanks for reading :)

TKL: How's Red getting words of these so fast?

Mind-meld?

Off to read...

Thanks! :D

Wyn: Wow! Not only did Kyp take Valin as an apprentice, he took Mirax as a love interest. Why do I have the feeling that somewhere Corran Horn is rolling over in his grave?

Well, they burned him, so at least we know that's not happening *morbid laugh*

Too bad they couldn't recruit the potential Jedi. Being a Jedi certainly has a lot more downsides than upsides, I can understand why no one wants the job.

Yeah, we may see her in the future, like the next fic or so ;)

Thanks for reading :)

RM: Kyp and Mirax?
    Did not see that one coming. Not at all.

I don't know if that's good or bad, but thanks for reading! :D

Thrawn: Amazing. Just... amazing...

Thanks [face_blush]

You redeemed Kyp...

I don't know if I'd go that far, but I wanted to give him some happiness and growth.

Wow.

Thanks again! :D

Rodian: Sonofa...
    I don't even know how to react. You're brilliant. BRILLIANT.

[face_blush]

I'm glad I've fooled you into thinking that :p

I second what Thrawn said: you've redeemed Kyp. Gah. I can't think clearly. I'm losing my mind.
    Brilliant. Totally brilliant.

Wow, thanks so much :)

Scoundrel: Wow. (picture that jawdrop smilie here!)

Yeah, it's getting harder and harder to properly express yourself here :p

Poor Corran. He must be in, well, wherever Jedi go when they become one with the Force just going ballistic.

I agree. Poor guy 8-}

I feel sorry for Kyp, too. Sounds like the poor guy has truly found love...in quite a difficult situation.

Yeah, it's sure to be a bumpy road [face_whistling]

Baliss sounds like an interesting character. I hope that she changes her mind and we get to see her again.

Not in this fic, but we will see her again in the future. She

Great post, as always!

Thanks so much :)

Spike: Kyp and Mirax?????????
    Never saw that one coming.

It was supposed to be a surprise, so I'm glad that worked :p

Thanks for reading!

FB: KYP AND MIRAX! Ewww. I didn'expect to get creeped outin this fic. What broutn that idea?

I didn't think it was all that creepy :p What brought it on was in the course of writing TLF, some scenes between Kyp and Mirax, and what I saw as a possible progression of their relationship with Kyp as Valin's master.

Thanks for reading.

Tahi: Woohoo! I've caught up at last. Fantastic story. I'm especially enjoying your new narrative style with the dual "voices" - the all-seeing apocryphal one is a fascinating idea. Good for you. I'll be interested to see if the voice is as all knowing as it makes out however.

It is :p I'm glad you like it, I wanted to do something different with the narrative after I, JS, and this is pretty much stolen from Stover's RotS novelization 8-}

The early scenes establishing Anakin and Wrev's places in the current discord are personal favourites, but I also enjoyed your introduction of Jaina immensely.

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed both :)

Just one of the examples in the early chapters of the sense of historical connection to the past - especially to Anakin's special connection to his grandad in those echoes of TPM.

Yep. It was probably overdone but I just couldn't resist :p

I'm also enjoying the way you're setting it all up by bringing in the various characters slowly and showing what they've been up to and where they're at now. And all the time tha

24. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    Apocolypse eh? Might as well start moving preparations.

In all seriousness, excellent posts, but your "this is so and so" style is starting to wear on me. I wasn't big fan of it in the ROTS novelization, and its not helping here.

As Kyp/Mirax, I don't know if I should be accepting or furious.

25. princess_melissa

princess_melissa Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    ha, all cought up.

Kyp and Mirax... :eek: never saw that one coming.

I have to bring up a quote from a couple of chapters ago:

Wrev Caster.

After two weeks with him searching for Alema, Jaina still wasn't sure how she felt about the older Jedi. Whether he was a friend or her enemy. Like many of the Jedi in his generation, Wrev was arrogant, more flash than substance, and simply obnoxious at times, constantly testing those around him and manipulating them when he felt it necessary. And at other times, he could be personable and sincere. There was no doubt that he'd saved Jaina's life almost as many times as she'd saved his during their mission, and that it wouldn't have been completed without the two of them together.

At times when Wrev was driving her crazy on the Falcon she'd wondered if it might have been something else...

:D I'm still want to see Wrev/Jaina. I think that'd be awsome.

Keep up the good writing