main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Ahsoka Tano Mega Thread Power Hour

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Aug 16, 2015.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Yep! Although the point still stands that having Ahsoka is not going to change your viewership by a lot.

2. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Well, he did have some pretty good swashbuckling skills in TCW and actually took the fight to droids with an actual sword. He seemed to be kind of modeled on Jack IMO in TCW.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  3. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I'd actually like to still see Ahsoka end up with some cybernetics somewhere; be it an arm, a leg (great idea) or maybe (my favorite suggestion) an eye.

I was really hoping we'd at least find Tano with some nice, gnarly scars on he face when she turned up again. But nope: After fifteen years of what I imagine had to have been some rough-going (in the beginning, at the very least), Filoni green-lights a character model for Ahsoka where she comes back looking like a glamorous and beautiful space samurai; no worse for wear. I was a little let down by that.

I know, I know "Well, we don't know how badly she may have been damaged on the inside, Sabreon." Yeah, well, I'm talking about some physical indicator. It didn't even have to be anything huge. Just look at how Anakin's single scar around his eye suggested an untold story. All it took was one look for us to know that the guy had been through the ringer. I would have liked something like that for Ahsoka.

Oh, well. At least from what little we've seen, the clones actually look as thought they've been through some stuff.

4. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I'm not so sure about that, Todd. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if Filoni ended up writing it that way.

But what I mean is, if the leading members of the Jedi Council (Yoda, aside) weren't able to sense the deaths of their brethren, I'm not so sure that Ahsoka should have, either.

5. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Trebor Sabreon

I didn't expect her to come back looking like Jedi Master Piell, but I did expect her to change physically some how. I would have been ok with her being being physically changed in part due to the battles, but I would not have been in favor of something like Ayers' Joker for Suicide Squad.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  6. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Arent Kanan, Hera, Zeb, Sabine and Ezra basically pet characters of Filoni's, and thus new Ahsoka's?! They're all original main leads created by him and his team. Sabine even miraculously survived being shot with just some carbon on her armor, Kanan took a blow from Vader but came out with a minor bruise and a crack in his armor.

7. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    I felt it was symbolic of Anakin's misperception. I was thinking about how it related to Ezra, and what receiving a scar in battle meant for him.
    I pondered the same thing earlier! Yoda sensing Anakin's shift, believable. Ahsoka, not so sure. If she could sense it, then surely Obi-Wan could, too. I don't remember what he was doing on Utapau at the time. Do you? Then again, Obi-Wan sensed Alderaan. Maybe she did feel it. Even if she didn't sense it, she knew he'd eventually turn, she and Obi-Wan knew. :rolleyes: Curse you, Mortis, Mortis, Mortis, Mortis,...

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    She is teh special after all. :ahsoka:

hairymuggle likes this.
  9. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Sure! Kenobi was riding his mount up the side of a sinkhole ("We've got a battle to win, here.").

But Obi-Wan was the first Jedi targeted during Order 66. So other than Mace and Co. dying and Anakin turning (something else only Yoda was shown to have felt), Kenobi wouldn't have even had the opportunity to have sensed any other Jedi dying in the purge before he was attacked.

10. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    I forgot I have a copy on my hd. We see OWK leaving GG's husk, Anakin turning, Yoda, then OWK is in the thick of battle. Yoda was, too, so I don't think its fair to assume that OWK was too preoccupied. What do you think that implies: Yoda can, OWK can't? And, if it were to have happened in TCW, why could Ahsoka? I don't think her relationship with Anakin was any more significant than Obi's with Anakin.

11. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I think the implication from the film was that the only being who saw any of it coming -- indeed who would have even been able to have seen it coming -- was Yoda, yes.

cwustudent likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    No. "Original creation" does not equal "pet character." Plus there are several main characters in Rebels, none more special than any other (which is part of what makes the show great), and none of the characters you listed have several plot lines designed to elevate them while simultaneously making all the other characters look like chumps.

As far as the discussion on the last page--even I'll go see an Ahsoka spin-off movie if she is played by Johnny Depp.

13. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    They're "pet characters", I think really the only difference here is for whatever reason you like them over Tano and you overlook much of the same pretentious faults you scold the Tano character routinely for having/showing and Filoni's style. The Ghost crew routinely make all other characters look like "chumps" , whether its obviously done, or more subtly done like miraculously escaping Imperials or escaping Vader and coming out with flesh wounds or having the The Ghost do a better job dog fighting than actual attack fighter/interceptors and before that constantly outclassing and outmatching Tie Fighters even if flown by an Inquisitor.

StrikerKOJ and Darth_Pevra like this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So...by your definition, any character that is an original creation and/or does not get killed by Imperials is a "pet character"?

Alrighty then.

hairymuggle likes this.
  15. Cacau

Cacau Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2015
    Just watched the three "Ahsoka arcs" from season 5 and honestly haven't seen an overpowered "pet character". Instead Ahsoka appears like the teenager Jedi she's supposed to be. She has obviously problems in controlling her feelings (Onderon arc) and gets downright hysterical in the Fugitive arc. So in opposite of the Jedi ideal of being in balance with oneself Ahsoka really is quite uncertain in many situations. The characterization of the Jedi Order again stems from the PT and GL himself so you can't blame Filoni for this.

Overall I'm not satisfied with all appearances of Ahsoka but I think that TCW achieved the goal of showing which part Anakins Padawan played in his transformation to Vader.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Generally speaking, people came away from the PT with one of two impressions of the Jedi Order:

1. They had an Eastern philosophy on attachment and family relationships, and an end goal of serving the greater good of the Republic. As such they eschewed "traditional" familial ties, and they handled their emotional bonds differently than we might. They also prized emotional control.

2. The Jedi were cold, unfeeling ***holes who could have solved Anakin's problems by letting him both get married and be as emotional as he wanted to be.

A belief that TCW portrayal of the Jedi "aligns with the PT" relies on coming out of the PT with impression #2 or something similar.

And by extension, so does a belief that Ahsoka's portrayal, especially in that final arc, was set up to make the Jedi look like chumps.

Case in point: you're right, she had trouble controlling her feelings and got hysterical. But we are not supposed to think there is necessarily anything wrong with that. At least that's the impression I got.

hairymuggle, Davak24 and cwustudent like this.
  17. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013
    Ahsoka did have trouble with her feelings, which to the viewer is rather understandable and something to be sympathetic too. But to a Jedi, who prized emotional control, it looked bad/showed that she still has some growing to to.

18. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    You are creating a false dichotomy. There's middle ground between "attachments are bad" and "letting every emotion reign free".

moonjump05 and Hyrum_Solo like this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Maybe, but my point was that viewing TCW Jedi as a logical continuation of the PT Jedi, involves viewing the PT Jedi as cold, unfeeling, etc.

hairymuggle and Davak24 like this.
  20. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I don't think that's the case. Both the PT Jedi and the TCW Jedi demonstrate numerous times that they are compassionate towards others. Just not the most trusting bunch.

I also think the criticism of the Jedi in the Fugitive arc is unwarranted. The Jedi aren't depicted as evil, rather stuck between a rock and a hard place. And Ahsoka isn't ever villified as being above or better than them when she leaves. Her exit is not very dignified.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. Hyrum_Solo

Hyrum_Solo Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 1, 2015
    Guys, I'll make a Jedi and Luke Skywalker thread where we can discuss this O.K.?

edit: when I have the time

22. Dorryn

Dorryn Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2015
    I don't think anybody's calling them "evil". For my part, I call them idiotic, blind and arrogant. Just like in the PT.

Agree with you 100%. I don't understand where some people get the idea that Filoni wanted her to be seen as "the better Jedi" or whatever nonsense.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I rest my case.

hairymuggle, cwustudent and Davak24 like this.
  24. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    That's...still not very accurate. A person can think that the characterization of the TCW Jedi and the PT Jedi align well without them being considered ***holes.

I mean, I definitely think every character in the Prequel era is flawed, but that doesn't mean that they are stupid or ***holes.

What they are is a lot more complicated than a simple buzzword can describe.

Iron_lord and jabberwalkie like this.
  25. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    anakinfansince1983

I disagree with you slightly. Your right people felt the Jedi came across as cold unfeeling ***holes but more that there problems could have been solved, if they had used the minimum of common sense, rather than it about Anakin getting married.

When they even have Lord Summerisle Dracula Saruman Dookie Dooku actually monologue the whole scheme to Obi-wan (in Attack of the Clones) and they still stand around and scratch there chins, you know they are not the sharpest tools in the shed.