main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Ahsoka Tano Mega Thread Power Hour

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Aug 16, 2015.

1. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I like Ahsoka (What? I do!), but I have to agree.

I've long held reservations about Filoni's blatant (and self-professed) attachment to the character and some of the ways in which this phenomenon has played out in the adventures. It's pretty much my only criticism of David's directorial efforts.

I don't know. In my opinion, Vader v. Tano was far and away the natural time and place for Ahsoka's story to have been organically wrapped up. But I always doubted Roscoe would actually see it through.

And so -- while it may not have come as a surprise when it aired -- for my money, the whole "Is she dead or is she alive?" play amounted to an absolute hogwash of an ending to an otherwise fine season finale. A wholly transparent attempt at having one's cake and eating it, too. I had hoped they'd treat Tano's story better than that.

2. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I think your next goal should be to complete models for the Ahsoka underworld arc they never produced... and then animate it! :D

darskpine10 and TheNerdyOne_ like this.
  3. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I think the worst part is when he said he changed his mind because of fan reactions.:rolleyes:

4. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Yeah, blame it on us, David! :p

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Obviously I love Asajj Ventress, but I thought her death was ultimately treated with respect, even as much as her character was not treated with respect just prior to her death (the frontal lobotomy and sap-frothing over Quinlan Vos).

And if she had been killed by Dooku prior to the midway point of Dark Disciple, that actually would have been better for her character than what happened to her in those latter chapters.

I understand liking Ahsoka, I'm even planning to read the novel because hell, I'M curious about what she was up to those 15 years.

But give her a story, don't change your mind due to "fan reactions" just to keep her around for Ahsoka doses.

6. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I can't see it. [face_sigh]

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

As a creator its probably best to go with what you were originally going to do and not change the story because of fan reactions.
    We've gotten Maul back because of it and also Echo who both survived impossible situations and you've got to admit its because of fan reaction to the character which has made SW less life like because people come back from the "dead" all the time now. So Filoni if your reading this stick with what you want to do with the story and not what the fans want because it might turn out better.

anakinfansince1983 and Sixes like this.
  8. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I've said it before but had Lucas not so blatantly killed Plo Koon in ROTS Filnoi would have had him survive the clone wars and become part of the rebellion

Knight Wolf, theraphos and Dinos4Ever like this.
  9. theraphos

theraphos Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2016
    Pretty sure a Filoni interview said exactly this, with Lucas having jokingly(?) threatened to release a new ROTS edit with Plo dying even more violently if Filoni tried it. And for good reason - Plo is my absolute favorite character (thanks in part to Filoni himself, whose work got me to go back and read the EU) and I would hate to see his tragic death cheaply waved off like that.

Anyway. I'm tentatively looking forward to the Ahsoka novel too, but I admit I won't be buying it until it's out and someone can confirm it doesn't trash the Jedi to make Ahsoka look better; as much as I like her character, those complaints have been very valid at times and that's the last thing I want to put up with in a story that's supposed to touch on the tragedy of Order 66.

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

I thought the change from fan reactions had nothing to do with Ahsoka, and everything to do with Maul. Maul was originally supposed to die in that season finale.

That's right, because there's only one person in the SW saga that is allowed to trash the Jedi to make themselves look better.

[​IMG]

11. Little Ray Sunshine

Little Ray Sunshine Jedi Knight star 2

May 2, 2016
    I personally do not think the whole "Schrodinger's Togruta" was the best way to go with Ahsoka, but trying to splice her into a story she was not originally meant to be a part of would definitely be a mistake.
    The only way I could see her being in season 3 working is if (assuming she somehow survived temple incident) she was just in a sort of "bonus" episode that was just about what happened to her, and did not have anything to do with the rest of the characters. Even then there would have to be some pretty good ideas and reason behind it and just because the "fans" wanted it.

12. theraphos

May 20, 2016
    I don't know if you're jokeposting or not, but I don't think much of anything Anakin says or does in the prequels actually makes him look "better." :p So I was definitely not saying that from a place of it being okay when the writing around Anakin does it. I am only saying that I hope the novel doesn't go the route of something like "well the dumb old Jedi Order deserved it and she's glad they're dead because they were the real villains here" that I've seen fan-writing and fan-discussion take.

There's plenty of grey area to hit a good story note of it still being a tragedy even if she was estranged from them at the time - especially given that one of the main driving forces behind that estrangement was the man who went on to have them all killed. (Not saying Palpatine told Barriss to do it, but he absolutely took advantage of the fact that she did.)

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Well Anakin vehemently despised the Order even more than any other Jedi before or since. Ahsoka had her own personal reasons to distrust the Order. If they trusted her from the beginning of that last "fugitive" arc in TCW, she would've never left.

14. theraphos

May 20, 2016
    Okay? To be honest, I'm not sure what you're looking for from me here, I was just expressing my hopes for the novel. (And I don't really care about Anakin that much, which I guess makes me a bad fan. :D )

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

All I'm stating is that the notion of Ahsoka "making the Jedi look bad" has been way overblown. And I'll leave it at that. I am looking forward to the novel, regardless of what it's presumed to be about. It will be the first SW novel that I'll buy new.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    No one should trash the Jedi to make themselves look better Anakin or Ahsoka.

17. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

My point is that Ahsoka never did.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    No, she personally did not, but many of the episodes in seasons 4 and 5 were written with the intention of making the Jedi look bad.

Filoni said as much about the fugitive arc.

fett 4, La Calavera and theraphos like this.
  19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  20. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I'm in love

21. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    You know what, I would have preferred Ahsoka to be on the attack on the Jedi temple. Her thinking the were trying a coup (which they were) and supporting the Government because of that would have been more interesting. Then afterwards she leaves Anakin due to what's happening, that for me would make more sense with him wanting her dead for abondoning him than the reason given. Sounds better than her riding on a giant wolf in jmo.

Iv not even got to Rex. How contrived was him getting the chip out before Order 66!

And from his latest interview it seems Filoni is trying it again

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It was contrived, but I don't care. :p

I mean it at least makes more sense then what happened to Ahsoka because Rex heard some of the facts from Fives and then later decided to look into it.

fett 4 likes this.
  23. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    But why did Rex have to get his chip out (and Wolfe and Gregor too I guess) before 66, why couldn't they have done it after. Nope Filoni had to be definite on that and be before, so no moral questioning or greyness involved. All nice and safe. It's like the whole Ahsoka is meant to be grey but in reality is just a Jedi in all but name stuff.

He doesn't like his characters having long term consequences or suffer anything meaningful. It's why in S1 he gave Kanan the easy cop out by deciding to have The GI kill himself.
    I think he needs George Lucas, on his own he's not so good.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Kanan got blinded so that seems long term.

25. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    From the spoilers of the s3 Premier Kanan
    gets Daredevil style sight, so it's not that big a consequence

SilentGuy66 likes this.