main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Ahsoka Tano Mega Thread Power Hour

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Aug 16, 2015.

1. theraphos

theraphos Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2016
    Given the sheer number of people managing SW continuity it seems extremely implausible that any official author, anywhere, is getting to make things up. At that level of canon/setting detail, anyway.

J7Luke likes this.
  2. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    How many people are managing it?

Because despite the talk of making it all coherent going forward (vs the old EU where writers wrote totally contradictory stuff all the time, and it was kinda hilarious to watch the acrobatics wookieepedia would do to accomodate all of it) while the best of intentions might be there, if they have enough people involved in the supervisory process, past a certain point they're likely to run into right-hand-not-knowing-what-left-hand-is-doing situations simply because of the size and unwieldiness of said body of people. And so inconsistencies would creep back in. Welcome to the New EU, same as the Old EU.

J7Luke likes this.
  3. Dorryn

Dorryn Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2015
    I wholeheartedly agree with you. I can't pinpoint when exactly they started to make lightsabers all mysterious and magical. I remember a time when crafting a lightsaber was exactly that : crafting with tools and steady hands. Like Luke in SotE, like Revan and the Exile in KotOR 1 and 2, like anyone playing Jedi in SWG. A skilled Jedi could craft a lightsaber from spare parts and electronics (Corran Horn made on from speeder parts in whatever novel), down to making a synthetic crystal. Lightsabers were important and unique to a Jedi, but they were technological devices, nothing more. Crystal were attuned to the Force, and in some sources to each user but they had no will of their own.

Then there was Bariss Offee assembling her lightsaber with the Force in the caves on Illum in the cartoon series, which was still alright I think.. And then... We got the younglings from the CW who were merely given all the parts they could need and given lessons from a droid... Is it just me, or is the idea of something deaf to the Force teaching children about the Force a big contradiction? I always found that very silly.

And finally the latest offense : the bleeding crystals. So how do they explain Windu's purple blade? Did the crystal partially bled because he doesn't like Windu? Or maybe it's just blushing because its shy? And why did Anakin's blade remain blue even as he massacred everyone in the Temple? Please Pablo help us here...

Darth Valkyrus likes this.
  4. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    New canon saber making is better, it feels like SW. And it wasn't Disney, that was introduced in TCW season 5.

5. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    The New EU is miles ahead of the Legends EU. Not even a contest really.

But this isn't the thread to debate that.

I believe the novel said that Ahsoka learned of this at the Temple, so I suspect it was during TCW.

Zejo the Jedi likes this.
  6. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Oh, you mean "bleeding of the crystal" part. Yeah, that was in Ahsoka book.

7. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I am still not a fan of that scene, and not a fan of current lightsaber making. I was under the impression that constructing your own lightsaber was an advanced skill that marked the trait of a Jedi Knight, ever since Vader said “I see you have constructed a new lightsaber. Your skills are complete.”

And that's what made lightsabers cool. There were like the Star Wars version of the samurai sword.

But that younglings episode in TCW made lightsabers look like something any youngling could make with some concentration, by just picking and assembling mass-manufactured parts like in a LEGO shop. Then the Ahsoka book with the "singing crystals for their destined owner"...:rolleyes: In an attempt to make them “mystical”, they ended up making lightsaber construction redundant and some ‘pre-destined’ Harry Potter Western fantasy crap.

J7Luke, Dorryn and Darth Valkyrus like this.
  8. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    La Calavera

Yup. It's why in regards to certain things I don't give a hoot what the new, post Disney writ says. I'll stick with the original EU explanation thank you very much. I will not "unlearn what I have learned".

J7Luke, Dorryn and La Calavera like this.
  9. Dorryn

Jan 24, 2015
    Actually, going back to the sequence in the cartoon Clone Wars on Illum, Luminara also says as Bariss finishes her lightsaber "Your training is complete". It clearly showed making your lightsaber was part of a knight's trial, or at least only a season padawan could do.

Exactly. Next thing you know there's a holonet shop when you can just order the parts online, pick your favourite material and colour and even have a customized engraving.

That was also implied in TFA with Anakin's lightsaber "calling" to Ray.

Likewise. As far as I'm concerned "Legends" is still a valid EU, crystals don't sing nor bleed, and TFA is an expensive fan-film.

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I know it's a pipe dream, but I had a thought today that if there was ever a chance that Ahsoka could get the live action treatment for the Han Solo movie coming out next year. If you think about it, it takes place about a decade before ANH, so there wouldn't be any continuity issue. I wouldn't mind if she was used as a prop just like Saw was in RO; at the very least she could recognize the Wookie that the young smuggler is hanging out with.

[​IMG]

J7Luke likes this.
  11. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Well from what I've heard of the Ahsoka novel (I haven't read it yet) I think she lived inconspicuously and incognito as a mechanic for a while. She also moved from place to place for a while, always paranoid of being made by the Empire or one of their agents. Totally the kind of environment where she could run into Han.

On the other hand... with a big grand-design spiral like the GFFA averaging about five hundred thousand million stars, there's plenty of room for her to absolutely, totally not ever be anywhere near him.

It depends on whether they think it would make for a good story I guess.

J7Luke likes this.
  12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Well I certainly don't see how her appearance would be a huge issue; even if she was playing the part of mechanic on some distant Outer Rim planet with her lightsabers nowhere to be found.

J7Luke likes this.
  13. Dorryn

Jan 24, 2015
    At the beginning of the book she's been living in the same place for roughly a year since Order 66. She then moves to Raada and lives there for some weeks while the evens of the book unfold. At the end of the book she commits to the Rebellion as head of Intelligence so... She's gonna have her hands pretty full building a network and then running it. We also don't know whether Han's backstory is gonna remain what it was in Legends : an Imperial pilot. If it is, then I think it's gonna be complicated to get the head or Rebel Intelligence and an Imperial pilot in the same room.

14. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    I’ve been thinking about future standalone films for SW, and I think an anthology film that had Anakin, Ahsoka, and Rex as the main characters would be interesting.

La Calavera likes this.
  15. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    It would nescesarily be set during the Clone War era though. I wonder how much ground there is left to cover in that era, pertaining to Anakin, Ahsoka and Rex, that hasn't already been done in TCW.

Maybe they could set one of the spinoffs just prior to Revenge of the Sith. Much as Rogue One was just prior to A New Hope. Such a movie would then feature the Siege of Mandalore and finish up right where RoTS started, with Grievous' raid on Coruscant and capture of Palps, and Anakin and Obi-Wan launching a desperate mission to get him back before the Invisible Hand jumps away.

In addition to whatever merits it might have on its own, it could also serve as a powerful magnet to draw people who had never considered watching TCW, or who in some cases might not even be aware that the series existed, into watching it. I mean people who don't know anything about that, after watching that movie would be like "Who's this Ahsoka and why is she a big deal to Anakan? What do you mean she was his Padawan, what padawan, when? And why the frakk is Darth Maul still alive???" As far as they knew, Anakin never had a padawan, and Darth Maul died on Naboo when Obi-Wan chopped him in half. This then would incentivize them to dig deeper to find out the backstory on how these things could be. Leading them to discover The Clone Wars.

16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I think Anakin had enough live action films through the PT movies. But I'd certainly be game for some adventures between Ahsoka and Rex.

17. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Disagree, one of the key components is the Anakin/Ahsoka relationship, it would be tragic if they didn't have that

18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I would say, depending on the timeframe we're talking about, the ship had already sailed as far as the Ahsoka/Anakin relationship. There would really be nothing more to build upon; especially after she walks out on the Jedi and he's got a new "friend".

19. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Agreed. And Anakin/Rex was a great pair, it would be awesome to see that in live action. There was humor in that relationship. “A lot of the General's plans involve falling.”[face_laugh]

To me, the ideal TCW-era movie would have Anakin, Obi-Wan, Rex, Fives and co., Ahsoka and Mace Windu.

fett 4 likes this.
  20. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Well they could do a movie of the final arc of TCW and so use the Voice Actors. That would be a good ending.

If they wanted they could have Ahsoka as Vaders Jesse during the Dark Times (contradictory with Rebels I know but if they don't care about continuity why should we) would be both interesting and tragic

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Uh that's too farfetched and wrong. And a retelling of the final arc of TCW would just be redundant.

22. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

I was thinking of the final TCW arc that leads into RotS

23. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

You mean the one that wasn't released featuring Mandalore?

24. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

Yep :)

25. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Well now would've been as good a time as any to release such a movie; considering where has been going with it's spunky little vandal with a jetpack.

fett 4 likes this.