main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Airline Disaster Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    She should, but without her husband. Or clothes.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    People still read Vogue?

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    So apparently the relatives recieved text messages from Malaysian airlines announcing that everybody on the plane was likely dead before the Malaysian PM made the annoucement. WTF??!! Who texts somebody that their loved ones are likely dead?!

Now can we say Malaysian airlines and the Malaysian Govt, are the most incompetant POSs of all time?

4. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    The Malaysians.

5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

People still care about a Kardashian?

yankee8255 and Juliet316 like this.
  6. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    The Federation and the Bajorans do.

Mr. K, Darthkat76 and Sarge like this.
  7. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    Don't be creepy

8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    ugh.

9. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

Let's not stereotype, ok?

10. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    Human beings do aweful things. Lotsa ground way worse than what is going on with FLT370. Maybe of people knew a bit more about history we as a planet would all treat each other so much better.
    As a Military Historian/Teacher I cover lots of rough turf. Example: The British Army loses over 60,000 KIA (that is dead folks) before lunch in 1916 during the
    first day of the Battle of the Somme. As comparison the US Military lost about 57,000 KIA over the duration of the entire Vietnam War.

If you say yes but Vietnam was over nothing and pointless I promise you WWI was far more so.

Sad, tragic all these things just plain suck. Those poor souls on the plane first, then the families-lets keep it in perspective.

11. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Nope. They were informed in person first, before it was made public. The texts came after the fact but before the official press conference as a precautionary measure to be absolutely sure that all families were notified before the media. Let's put the pitchforks down.

12. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Hey, give Juliet her moment of misplaced outrage please. Have some respect for the lady.

Point Given likes this.
  13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, she lives for this ****.

Point Given likes this.
  14. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    For someone who calls himself a historian, you're doing some bad history here.

This is a common sentiment, but what does it really mean? How was the war pointless? Was it pointless for Serbia, who was being strong-armed by the German backed Austro-Hungarians over the actions of one man? Or was it pointless for Belgium, who didn't want to become a German satellite? Was it pointless for Russia, France, and the UK to come to the aid of their smaller-armed allies and keep German aggression in check?

What does it mean for a war to be pointless? Are you suggesting WWI had no point? Because it sure had a point. Stemming German Agression. Look up Wilhelm II's firing of Bismarck and the New Course.

What do you intend with the quoting of figures here? How does the number of people dying determine whether a war has a point?

What are you even going for? What do you even mean?

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    World War I was the culmination of arms races, nationalist and racial sentiment, colonial squabbles, and crumbling empires desperately trying to hold themselves together. If it hadn't been Serbia and the Third Balkan War, it would've been something else (and it nearly was with events such as the first two Balkan Wars and the Second Moroccan Crisis, among others). A state-supported terrorist group had murdered the heir to the Hapsburg throne. Austria-Hungary had designs on the recently vacated Ottoman territory, but let's not pretend that Serbia was innocent. Russia "came to the defense" of Serbia because it had its own designs on the Balkans (Serbia being its only Balkan ally) and Constantinople itself. Blah blah I could go on forever but World War I was stupid. Granted, no dumber than any other armed conflict that comes of this never-ending geopolitical cluster**** "chess game." Stupid nonetheless.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  16. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    What does "stupid" even mean in this context?

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Stupid means the war was a result of a lot of hyper bellicose jingoism (more than usual for Western Europe) and a desire to fight a glorious war, combined with massive nationalist revolts and/or landgrabs (where appropriate), and a vast increase in the deadliness of war and consequent inhumanity thereof which was not respected by any of the participants.

Everybody wanted a piece of everybody else. About the only major powers who didn't want a war were the Germans and Russians, because both of them were busy building up to fight a war in 1916 when they'd be more prepared.

edit: Anyway, why's this discussion going on here anyway? It started with a post that's since been edited, so we can just end the tangent. If someone wants to create a WWI thread (since it is the centennial after all) that's cool, but it's really weird here.

18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Vivec, it's not really that complicated. Your whole defense has been that the participants in these (and presumably other) conflicts were pursuing geo-political objectives when they went to war. Even is not disputing that. Rather, he is urging you to consider value or worthiness of those objectives.

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's pointless. Tens of millions died so that Serbia would survive and become the leading state of Yugoslavia, four empires would collapse into chaos that in some ways would last into WWII, Germany would be unfairly "blamed" and punished for a war that was everyone's fault, the groundwork was laid for the Great Depression, etc. The pieces were just moved around for another go, same as always. Just with a bigger death toll.

Also, when I made that post I assumed this was the Ukraine thread, because that made a bit more sense to me. Maybe we should stop out of respect for the victims and people who want to nurse insane theories.

20. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm willing to continue this in another thread, but i'll end with restating that it is bad history to call wwi pointless.

21. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    LIFE IS POINTLESSS

22. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed, imho

23. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    The relatives of the missing passengers have kinda lost it. They are demanding their relatives back and that the govt wont give them information. Seriously the Malaysian govt may suck but the ocean is a big place and swallowing a large plane is easy. Remember we never found Amelia Earhardt's plane. These people can't accept that they are gone. All the theories point to the deaths of the passengers. Even those with terrorists involved.

24. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I think you're mising what they're upset about. It's not about accepting that their loved ones are gone. It's ham-fisted way the Malaysian government has gone about this, giving very little information for 2 weeks; getting lucky when the Aussies turned up some clues; then suddenly saying, "Yup they're all dead, take our word for it, we've seen satellite stuff!" without offering any of the evidence they claim to be basing that call on -- which they notified the victims' famlies of via SMS.

Really, can't see why they'd be upset at all.

Mr. K and Juliet316 like this.
  25. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    No offense but losing a plane full of people usually means one thing. They are dead Jim. And the ocean is big. It sucks but you kinda realize if they don't come home after two days.