main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Airline Disaster Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Did research. The A320 was the 1st pax jet fully FBW. Don't know if it had a cable backup?

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Per BBC News. Egypt has sent a sub to look for the black boxes. Sounds like they'll have their work cut out for them - water in that area is around 10,000 feet deep.

3. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Before this gets blown out of proportion, the Egyptian state run news agency has reported that the emergency locator transmitters have been heard from and searchers are zeroing in on an area with a radius of 5 kilometers which, if this news is correct, should help to expedite the finding of the craft and the FDR and CVR.

Please note, these are only locators and are NOT the actual FDR or CVR ("black boxes"), those have yet to be found but finding the locators would be a very good thing in terms of getting to the wreckage and finding out what actually happened.

Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  4. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    There's nothing strange about that; many pilots use flight simulators to stay current on the routes they fly.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, I don't see why you had to post that article Juliet.

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

Hey... It's Juliet! It's what she does!

8. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I know, and that's utterly depressing. Though not as sad as that Kenneth Morgan fellow who just posts dates of things and pictures of dead celebrities in every single thread.

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

You know, someday, we'll all be gone, and you'll miss us.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    :(:_|

11. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    You're not getting it.
    They found the suspected route he took the plane on on his computer. That's pretty mysterious.

12. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah guys it wasn't the route he was supposed to take that they found on his computer but the mysterious and off track route he did take they found on it suggesting he had every intention to take the off route path.

Juliet316 and KnightWriter like this.
  13. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I'm just asking people to remember and show respect those who've passed on, and who might otherwise slip our minds. I also wish people a Happy Birthday, and I post historical events so that we can keep them in mind and put our current situation in perspective. I work for a public library; presenting information is what I do. If you find that depressing, so be it.

It's an unfortunate fact of today's society that our collective memory goes back about a week, and that's only for the major stuff.

14. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    How long have you been coming here? Most of the people here are. :p

15. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Getting back on subject, the flight route on Zaharie's computer has been whispered of in aviation circles for quite some time now, this is the first "official" confirmation that it was found. Whether it was intentional or not remains to be seen and just what his rationale for such a course was may never be truly known or understood.

Also of relevance to this thread: EgyptAir 804's recorders ("black boxes") have been found and investigators are going over the data. Rumors point to smoke in the cockpit and a possible fire in the cabin which got out of control and doomed the plane while over the Mediterranean. The Egyptian authorities lack much of the technical resources and staffing that the French authorities do, so most of the work on reconstructing the recorders and the data contained within them, is being done in France.

16. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
  17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    i realize that this is a stretch

but @Sarge or any other aviation experts among us, I saw this and was wondering how difficult a vertical landing like this would be with a giant plane, or anything other than a helicopter

18. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    It's not really a vertical landing it just looks that way because of the camera angle and the 'crab angle' of the aircraft relative to the center line of the runway. I haven't flown anything heavier than a Piper Cherokee so have no idea if the maneuver in the video is OK for an A380 but it's totally not OK for light aircraft.The approach is good but you're supposed to straighten the nose to align with the center line just before touchdown which this pilot definitely did not do, but again that might be standard procedure for A380 cross wind landing particularly if cross wind component is high.

heels1785 and Sarge like this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I agree with @LostOnHoth , it's not a vertical landing, just the camera angle makes it look that way. That's a very sharp crab angle and risks blowing the tires when they hit the pavement at an angle. I prefer a forward slip approach in a strong crosswind, but the crab angle approach is a lot more comfortable for passengers.

heels1785 and LostOnHoth like this.
  20. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    I think I've watched that youtube video 1000 times!

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Is that one type of plane still grounded?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  22. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    Yep the Boeing 737 MAX is still grounded. Will probably return to the air in the second half of 2020.

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Who knew that cutting corners and covering up design flaws would turn out so badly?

Ramza, LostOnHoth and Diggy like this.
  24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    And people will be paid to fly on them?

25. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    Not enough!