main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Airline Disaster Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Mar 7, 2014.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I trust the word of Sarge.

This is the first time all week I've had a chance to watch a lot of news- this is so bizarre, and so sad. However, the wall-to-wall BREAKING ALERT all day long coverage on every channel is just weird.

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    I'll tell ya brother, this freakcing "mystery area" is a joke. One of the first ww 2 wrecks I dived as a kid was the Prince of Wales in this area;
    this is shallow water, easy find. I've also worked over 27 films in this area.... I know the flight paths. None of this makes sense.

What the hell is going on here? The US full monitors ship/air mobile this damned place, yet they claim no **** of this aircraft.

God damn it... .

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    CNN is reporting that, according to the Wall Street Journal, a sabotage investigation is now underway.

4. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
  5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    A friend of a friend said...

6. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
  7. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    We've known a lot of the same information in that article for a couple days now. I mean yeah there's probably some stuff we're not being told or that Malaysia was keeping close, but I can see how it's only now that the pieces are coming together.

8. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    My best friend's uncle's next door neighbor's sister-in-law's hairdresser's mailcarrier's cousin's half-brother's co-worker said that it was hijacked by aliens at the request of JJ Abrams to serve as viral marketing for a new show of his.

I'm not sure what is annoying me more: the seemingly neverending news alerts, everyone in the media suddenly becoming an "aviation expert", the idiotic conspiracy theories, or the outright incompetence displayed by the Malaysian government.

On the other hand, there IS one person in the world who doesn't mind the non-stop media attention to this missing plane:

[​IMG]

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Honestly I'm surprised theories about Russia sabotaging the plane to deflect from things in the Ukraine hasn't come up yet. I would have thought that would have been one of Fox's first theories.

And I think the incompetence of the Malaysian officals is ticking me off the most. Their lack of any kind of sense in this situation is only fueling the conspiracy theories and that isn't doing anybody any good, not the least of which the families of these passengers, who must be going through pure agony not knowing anything about what's happend to their loved ones.

10. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    [​IMG]

Russian plot to divert media attention. Start searching Russia. GO!

(But no, in all seriousness, I do understand your point. You ain't wrong).

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, apparently it was hijacked.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Off topic, but that was one of the best Joey scenes ever with that reveal you knew was coming all episode...

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Nobody in the media is dumb enough to float that theory, they leave that to the lunatic fringe on the internet or talk radio. Only after such theories get enough mention do the networks pick up on it. And no, neither Fox nor MSNBC count as the lunatic fringe - they both cater to it from time to time, but they both know that they would never hear the end of it for so much as saying "what if...".

With regards to the hijacking, if there is anybody with half a brain working on this (and that is open to debate) then they're likely already doing exhaustive checks into all of the passengers and crew. Anyone with any flight experience aside from the pilot & first officer is almost immediately suspect. Also, anyone who may have had the slightest inclination towards or relation to any kind of extremism (several of the 9/11 planners had met in Kuala Lumpur to plan out attacks in mid-2000) has also got to be on that list. Then there are the two guys with the stolen passports, and God only knows who else was on that plane, what affiliations they may have had or what kind of mental/emotional state they were in.

KissMeImARebel and Juliet316 like this.
  14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    The two with the stolen passports have apparently already been ruled out, with one of them supposedly being an Iranian teenager wanting aslyum (can't remember who the other one was identified as). Though admittedly, the only reason we know that much is because the info about the stolen passports got out to the media in the first place (presumably because the airline called the families of those whose passports were stolen to inform them that their loved ones names were on the passenger list in the first place).

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's been over a week, and they still not managed to find anything? This is getting ridiculous.

16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The ocean is BIG.

heels1785 likes this.
  17. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah, but even so, after eight days they should have found something.

18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The area the plane could have covered with the fuel it had is roughly the size of the United States. Now, imagine trying to find a crashed 777 in the United States with the information they have about this flight-- that is, no eyewitnesses, spotty radar and satellite data, etc. And that's not even considering the properties the ocean has that land does not-- things sink in water, currents and weather can disperse surface debris, etc. Come on.

19. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Both of the projected flight routes seem incomprehensible to me. Either the plane flew over several international borders and through several airspaces without ever being detected, or the culmination of this elaborate hijacking was to have the plane run out of gas over the ocean? Unless they are saving the plane to use for some nefarious purpose, which seems extremely far-fetched, I don't think it will ever be found. Where do you even begin to look for it with information this vague?

EDIT: Actually, I think it will be found, but several years down the road by some random vessel on a completely unrelated endeavor. I don't think the actual search operation will find it.

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Wasn't it Superman that once said that flying is still the number one safest way of travel? Pretty sure he's full of ****.

21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't think they're going to ever call off the search. For Malaysia and China it wouldn't be smart politically, especially since they fear terrorism was the cause. It will probably take a while longer, but they'll find it. People have found wrecks that were more difficult.

It is the safest way to travel.

heels1785 likes this.
  22. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    I can almost assure you that those guys have got to be at the top of the list or at least the top ten. Supposedly, the mother of one of the guys on the passports was waiting for him in Germany. While this is a plausible scenario, it could also be a front, as Germany has been known to be a hiding spot for some Islamic extremists, and since there is only so much to back up the story about these guys seeking asylum from Iran then the possibility of them having something else to do with this cannot be ruled out entirely. Also, as I had mentioned earlier, there have been those with ties to Islamic extremism in Kuala Lumpur in the past so any of the Malaysian passengers could also easily have something to do with it. Yet another possibility is passengers with ties to Uyghur separatists (several Uyghurs went on a stabbing spree in China a month or so back killing about 30 people in a train station) and tensions have always been strained between them and the Chinese government. The point I'm making here is that there are so many possibilities here that it would be foolish for the investigation to overlook anyone or anything at this point.

Another thing to consider is the flight itself. The radar information (at least that which is available) of the portion of the flight after it went off course, would seem to point towards the plane going up to an altitude of 45,000 feet and then dropping as low as 23,000 feet. As something of an aviation geek, I know that most commercial airliners top out around 33,000-38,000 feet for an average altitude. Most commercial aircraft aren't designed to handle flying higher than 40,000 feet (military aircraft can go higher, but that is a different story) as things start to get pretty hairy at that altitude and a sudden rise to 45,000 feet and then a drop to almost half of that altitude over such a short span of time would clearly indicate that something was going wrong and everybody on that plane would be feeling it as the change would be quite dramatic and not the usual ear popping that most people feel when on a plane where the altitude changes gradually.

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Not to mention the various sea creatures that have to be in that area.

24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yes, the Kraken took the plane and stashed it in a cave.

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    My god, Pacific Rim was a documentary!