Amph The ALIEN SAGA: review & discussion: Now Disc. Prometheus sneak peak scene

Discussion in 'Community' started by HylanBoulevard, Nov 26, 2004.

1. saturn5 Jedi Master

star 4
    Alien 3 is by far the worst of the series. How can you enjoy Alien/Aliens when you know it's all pointless? That all Ripley's efforts are in vain? AvP and AvP;R are not great films by any stretch of the imagination but enjoyable enough in themselves and don't spoil your enjoyment of what's gone before, they're pretty much standalone.

I remember watching the Alien series at a cinema which was great, people jumped to their feet and clapped at Ripley's immortal 'Get away from her you bitch line". When it came to Alien 3 however about 3/4s of the audience walked out to pass 2 hours at the Forbidden Planet. About 2/3rds came back for Alien 4

I think Sigourney made the right choice in not doing the prequal although it could have worked, she, Cal and her crew arrive at the derelict to finish the bugs once and for all and watch some form of recording showing the origin story.
  2. Darth_Hydra Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm not sure what to make of the $250M budget. Some sites are saying it's for the first movie and some that's for the duology. $250 is a bit extravagent(sp?) for one movie but if this is spread across the two movies that's not so bad. Hopefully a compromise can be found because I would love another Alien film.
  3. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5

The original Alien movie was on TCM the other night. I've always liked it, but I hadn't seen it for awhile. I'd forgotten just how excellent a film it is. Superb cinematography, great acting, great storytelling. It's going to be tough for Ridley Scott to top himself.
  4. Black-Pearl Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Great atmosphere in this film. You know from the beginning scene that you are in for a treat. Scott manages to maintain the suspense throughout the whole film and constantly keep building upon it until the very end of the film, keeping you guessing. This movie is the definition of thriller.
  5. saturn5 Jedi Master

star 4
    Greatest sci-fi horror film ever with the possible exception of the remakes of The Thing and The Fly. What's more despite being 25-30 years old both still stand up in terms of their special effects and portrayal of the future
  6. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Evidently Scott has won the battle over the rating and the budget, but the film will be in 3D. Also it is evidently called Paradise.

I'm actually not too crazy about this reboot/prequel direction they seem to be taking. But it's too early to tell anything, so fingers crossed it'll be good. At least with Scott directing we know it will look great, right?
  7. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    According to Deadline:

EXCLUSIVE: First, it started out as an Alien Prequel. But then it morphed into something "more original", an insider tells us -- even though Hollywood kept referring to the project as "The Alien Prequel" right up until today when Twentieth Century Fox officially announced the new Ridley Scott production as Prometheus is now bound for worldwide release on March 9th, 2012. Returning to science fiction filmmaking for the first time since Blade Runner, Scott will direct this epic. Of the five major roles to be cast, Noomi Rapace is the first actor signed to star (as "Elizabeth Shaw"), and we hear that Angelina Jolie and Charlize Theron are both circling the other big female lead ("Vickers").

The initial draft of the script was written by Jon Spaihts (The Darkest Hour) from Ridley?s idea. Damon Lindelof (Lost, Star Trek) and Scott have since been working together on the current version which has expanded the story into new directions. We hear they were instructed to "go off and come up with what they want" using the 'Alien DNA'. Though story details are being closely guarded, Ridley explained the outlines of the film and its genesis as follows: ?While Alien was indeed the jumping off point for this project, out of the creative process evolved a new, grand mythology and universe in which this original story takes place. The keen fan will recognize strands of Alien?s DNA, so to speak, but the ideas tackled in this film are unique, large and provocative. I couldn't be more pleased to have found the singular tale I'd been searching for, and finally return to this genre that's so close to my heart.?

Says Lindelof: "In a world flooded with prequels, sequels and reboots, I was incredibly struck by just how original Ridley's vision was for this movie. It's daring, visceral and hopefully, the last thing anyone expects. When I sat in a movie theater as a kid, feet raised off the floor for fear that something might grab my ankles, I never dreamed in my wildest imagination I would one day get to collaborate with the man responsible for it. Working alongside him has been nothing short of a dream come true."

Swedish actress Noomi Rapace landed the scientist's role after Scott saw her portrayal of fictional Lisbeth Salander in the film The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo as well as the rest of the Steig Larssen. All Fox would say is that the other roles "would be cast soon".

So . . . is appears this film doesn't even belong in this thread anymore!
  8. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Well, hopefully Theron gets it. Can't really think of anything else to say about this news.
  9. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm glad that Scott is returning to a genre that he helped to define cinematically (with just two extremely influential films). But I am disappointed that the project will not be the Alien prequel we were promised.
  10. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Apparently it is a prequel after all. Also more plot and set and casting info.
  11. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    Posters are out. Trailer is out. Time for this thread to open up again.
  12. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Well, that was one awesome trailer. We had:
    -Space Jockey ship

-The Space Jockey's command chair folding out of the floor

-What looked like Alien eggs in some kind of storage containers

-The iconic shrieky sirens interlaced with the score.

Really cannot wait for this film to come out! :D
  13. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    It would be great if we could get a superb Prometheus to re-introduce this universe with Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 as the Ripley/Xenomorph Chronicles trilogy set in it. And then we could forget that the rest of it ever happened.
  14. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    No kidding. I liked Resurrection up until the Newborn showed up; after that the series never really came back.

Apparently Prometheus is going to expound greatly on the Space Jockey race. The old Alien comics did this a tiny bit-they were villains in the Earth War series, and a one-shot, which iirc was called "Endgame" and featured the President chest bursting himself to rid the Earth of the alien menace.

No, not making that up.

I'm curious to see Scott's plans-he seems to be going with the notion that they created or influenced humanity. I don't really mind that so long as they're not benevolent overlords; that is boring as far as I'm concerned.
  15. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Yeah, Resurrection was quite good until the Newborn ruined everything. And AVPR had the potential to be excellent but was marred by the awful human plotline.

It also looks like they're making the Space Jockey more humanlike but wearing a mask (not sure I really like that idea but oh well), which does retcon the Easter egg in AVPR of a SJ skull in the Predator trophy room.
  16. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    The thing that ruined AVPR for me was the pregnant women scene. I don't mind gore but that is just beyond horrible if you dwell on it even for a second.

Anyway, Scott said in an interview that the space jockey was actually a suit, which is kinda interesting. Also, if all this is happening just thirty years prior then the guy is technically mummified, not fossilized, FYI :p
  17. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Makes one wonder how a suit could be fossilized, though.

While I'm willing to give Ridley the benefit of the doubt as far as the story goes, I can't honestly believe that Giger's design was intended to be a suit, nor can I shake the feeling that physically humanizing that Giger design doesn't take away from the function of the scene in Alien.

I mean, it's reveal was meant to show us something clearly not human- something quite otherwordly. Making it something more recognizable/familiar in appearance would run counter to that purpose.
  18. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    It depends on what is in the suit. I mean, who wears an astronaut suit that looks like that?
  19. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    It seems that perhaps, it's us who has always been wrong:

[image=http://img.waffleimages.com/53d4113a5f09149a50d7e2e0fccc5fe4f43d79f1/t/giger_space-jockey.jpg]

From this it seems that Giger, and by extension Scott, always thought of it as a suit. Sources since then have depicted it as being a skeleton, but original source material being contradicted by follow-on EU is hardly new to Alien.
  20. Darth_Hydra Force Ghost

star 4
    That was a great trailer but it really only gave us more questions than answers.
  21. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5
    That means it did it's job.
  22. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    No kidding.

There's already been a pretty serious nerd feeding frenzy on the trailer. Link is here.

23. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I don't know if I'd find that image to be conclusive- only the nose tube seems to be an add-on, not the helmet/skull. And Giger's techno-organic style for everything blurs the lines in ways that make it very difficult to tell what is intended to be real and what is intended to be artificial.
  24. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Sure, Giger likes to blend things. But Scott seems pretty insistent that it's a suit. Also, there's this image, from the Prometheus trailer:

Linkie

On the far right of the screen is a bluish-gray humanoid. The Jockey, maybe?
  25. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Oh, it's definitely a suit now (and, given the scale, that likely is the Jockey in that trailer shot) I'm just saying I have doubts that was intended to be a suit when they made Alien.

Also: Alien teaser done in Prometheus style