Amph The ALIEN SAGA: review & discussion: Now Disc. Prometheus sneak peak scene

Discussion in 'Community' started by HylanBoulevard, Nov 26, 2004.

1. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I'm willing to believe that it was intended as such; it fits the Space Jockey=villains vibe the trailer and film seems to suggest; they apparently wear a skeleton as a suit :p

Although the old Alien novelization described the Jockeys as a benevolent race, IIRC.
  2. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I don't think Scott knew they were villains when he made Alien- all the comments over the years were more like "They haven't explained that yet... that might be an interesting story to tell".
  3. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Sure, but randomly announcing the Space Jockeys=villains at...some point in the last 32 years: why? It's been an internet rumor that Scott would direct the fifth Alien film since (at least) Alien: Resurrection's release, but just about any good director is going to keep his cards close to his chest on something as important as that to keep people interested.

I mentioned this earlier, but the Jockeys have always been portrayed as villainous in the Aliens EU. The only benevolent description of them that I'm aware of is Ash in the original novel.

Edit: This is pure fanon, but I thought it worth bringing up:

It's been mentioned before that you can make out a human-like 'underskull' in the Xenomorph head in Alien:

[image=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b290/Bartleby24/alien-mist.gif]

The aforementioned Empire Magazine trailer breakdown pointed this out:

linkie

You can make out some faintly Alien-y head features on the leaping character. There's certainly something off about his head's shape; is he mutating into something?

Edit: That Alien/Prometheus mashup might be the coolest thing ever.
  4. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    The "underskull" could just be a variant on the type seen in Predator 2.
  5. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Which is more or less the same skull as the creatures in Aliens, right?
  6. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    There is a new teaser of sorts out:

TED Talk 2023 with Peter Weyland

It's quite awesome of TED to actually host this, I think. Guy Pearce is almost unrecognizable nowadays; I had a feeling I knew who the actor was, but that doesn't sound remotely like him.
  7. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5

That's quite a "sneak peak" speech. Well at least Guy Pearce doesn't look like a starvation victim the way he did the I last saw him. It's an interesting set up and makes me want to see the movie even more than I already do. Thanks for posting that Darthboba.
  8. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
  9. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Yeah, saw it this morning. :D Pretty darn exciting! I'm actually getting kinda worried about overhype; the fan reactions I've been seeing on G+ are pretty darn rabidly enthused.

John-I think that's actually my favorite bit of promotion so far.
  10. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
  11. Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah, that was a hell of a trailer. Showing just enough to get you excited, but doesn't give too much away.
  12. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    I get the impression Fassbender is playing a villain...but we shall see! Very excited for this one!
  13. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Well, IIRC he's playing an android. I would rather hope Mr. Scott doesn't copy Ash; Bishop's moral relativity in Aliens is arguably more interesting in that he's not good or bad-he's just doing what the various humans tell him to do.That could be a) shipping the facehuggers back to Earth or b) waiting with the dropship until Ripley gets back with Newt.
  14. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    International Trailer is up too and it's a bit different in tone with some additional new footage.

I haven't read spoilers, but the impression I get is that Fassbender gets infected with something small on his finger that turns him (or someone else- like we see with the eye closeup) into the space jockey- thus the "big things have small beginnings".
  15. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    ...I would hope he knows what his character is :p

It's almost certainly not Fassbender that gets mutated, being an android and all-I'm going with your second guess, the guy looking at his eye.

The international trailer emphasizes the more intuitive part of this film.
  16. Darth_Hydra Force Ghost

star 4
    This movie just keeps getting better and better with the more of it we see. :D
  17. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    Seconding Quest on this - could the aliens be the result of some strange viral infection? Obviously a big jump there, but I think that might be what they're going for...too early to tell, of course, but still! Excited! :D
  18. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Well, we do see some Alien-looking legs in the new trailer.

Scott's said that there'll be a sequel if Prometheus is successful; perhaps that might be the "introduction" of the Alien? I'm of the opinion that the planet where we see the Space Jockey's ship crashes isn't LV-426; the atmosphere looks nothing like the planet's earlier depictions.
  19. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    I'm going out on another speculative tangent - the figure staring at its own arm at the start of the trailer kind of reminds me of Frankenstein. I'm wondering if Prometheus is meant to imply not only the myth but also how Shelley used it in Frankenstein. If so, I suspect the monsters to be man-made or man-unleashed. Total wild guess, but hey.