main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The All-New All-Different Marvel Comics Draft

Discussion in 'Community' started by a star war, Apr 19, 2018.

1. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    [​IMG]

Hello there!

If you've never done a draft before, you may find it helpful to browse through some of the older drafts that have been done on this fine website. Here are but a few:

Comic Book Draft XI
    Jedi Draft 24

And there exist many, many more, which can be found through the power of internet searches (Ed. Note: but not the boards' search, because that's terrible).

But wait, something is not the same! This is all-new. This is all-different. Come with me and I will guide you through the many exciting changes happening all around you.

Let's first go over some things with which you may already be familiar:

The Participants of this Rambunctious Revelry! This Frollicing Fun! This Marvelous Merrymaking!

The GMs - Between 6-8 of you will sign up. You'll each submit to the Commissioner (Ed. Note: Hey that's me!) via PM 10 wondrous warriors! 10 considerable contenders! 10 of the finest bespandexed fighters ever assembled to fight--or die!--for you. More on what happens next later.

The Judges - we don't have these yet so feel free to sign up. I need 2-3 people. Or I can pick all the winners myself, I don't care either way. They decide who wins a given battle. Sign up for this and I'm not saying you won't be solicited with a number of kickbacks from the players. I'm not saying you will either.

The Commish - That's me. Like I said. I'll handle all of the behind the scenes stuff, don't worry about it. It's fine. I probably know exactly what I am doing.

The Process

First, GMs sign-up. All this step requires is adding your name to the list at the bottom of this very post.

Second, you, the player of this game, take a few days to think about who you want on your special squad. Your tremendous team. Have you got them? Well done, you, now all you have to do is submit that full list to me via private conversation. After the initial period of waiting, I will reveal the chosen characters.

This is where things get the most all-new all-different. You, the player, will only be permitted to retain those characters which you have chosen that have not been chosen by any other player. Let's use our imaginations to visualize how that might look.

Nancy has selected for herself these characters:
    The Thing
    Dr. Bong
    Hawkgirl
    Goku
    Silver Samurai

While Pete has assembled for himself the following:
    Captain Canada
    Bug
    Mr. Terrific
    Dr. Bong
    Silver Samurai

And the two of them have sent those rosters to me. I will then post the following:

Nancy
    The Thing
    Dr. Bong
    Hawkgirl
    Goku
    Silver Samurai

Pete
    Captain Canada
    Bug
    Mr. Terrific
    Dr. Bong
    Silver Samurai

Those characters marked in red will be sent to the DEAD LIST. The DEAD LIST will consist of characters which can no longer be selected.

Pete and Nancy, still needing to fill roster spots, will again submit to me their chosen characters, this time with characters to replace those sent to the DEAD LIST until they have the requisite 10 characters required to field a team.

Now, keep in mind this is all experimental, so it's entirely possible that none of you will manage to field a team at all, and we will simply have to call the whole thing off and go about our lives, never knowing what might have been...

But wait a minute, those lists from Nancy and Pete weren't all ok, because there are some rules to this. As the GM, when sending in your characters you'll have to consider...

Character Selection Requirements
    • Marvel characters only
    • Herald level characters and below only
    • No duplicate characters (if Thor is taken or on the DEAD LIST, no adding Thor from Earth 2165846). I'd like to be lenient on that, but the idea is supposed to be diversity and I don't want some one paragraph wikipedia blurb being added because "hey, but it's Thor!"

Once we get the teams locked in, you'll all round robin each other. The playoffs will depend on if we have 6 or 8. Each round, you'll send in numbers. You go 1-8 and put one character on each number (leaving 2 on the bench). So, let's say Animal Drafted the following team: Deadpool, Lady Deadpool, Kidpool, Dogpool, Negasonic Teenage Warhead, Colossus, Ant-Man, Wasp, Blue Beetle, The Incredible Hulk. Animal might send in the following numbers:

1. Deadpool
    2. Lady Deadpool
    3. Ant-Man
    4. Wasp
    5. Blue Beetle
    6. Colossus
    7. Dogpool
    8. Kidpool

Bench: The Incredible Hulk and Negasonic Teenage Warhead

Each round, you send a Private Message to the Commish with your numbers.

There are two optional strategies:

1) Prep Time - a Character gets advance notice of who their opponent is. They get a small DNA sample and a computer file of known weaknesses. They aren't given access to weapons they wouldn't normally be able to access. You can use a single prep to give a character 24 hours and do this twice per round, or use a double-prep and give a character 72 hours and do this once per round.

2) Trumps - You can send two characters together on the same numbers. The first time they are called, they fight together (creating a potential 2-on-1), but the second time they are called they forfeit (giving you an auto loss, or a draw if both trumps hit a forfeit). You can trump any number of characters (so, three or four at once) just every additional character added to the trump is another forfeit (i.e. a trump of four characters would result in 3 forfeits).

So, using these strategies, Animal Could send:

1) Deadpool
    2) Lady Deadpool
    3) The Incredible Hulk
    4) Ant-Man (Double Prepared)
    5) Wasp
    6) Colossus TRUMPED with Negasonic Teenage Warhead
    7) Negasonic Teenage Warhead TRUMPED with Colossus
    8) Dogpool

So, when the Commish calls number 6, both Pietor and NTW go into battle, and then on number 7, there's a forfeit. (Note: order is randomized, so 7 could be called first). When the commish calls number 5, Ant-Man will enter battle having spent the last three days analyzing his opponent and coming up with a strategy.

Once all numbers are in, the Commish announces battles. GMs can argue, and then Judges judge. We go through all ten numbers. If one GM gets more wins than losses, they win the overall battle. If we're tied (4-4, 3-3-2, etc) we go to teams. In a Team battle, all victorious characters (except characters which are called on a forfeit) and the benched characters participate, and the teams have 48 hours to prepare. Then, we judge an overall winner.

And I think I covered everything. To sign-up, Copy this list and add your name(Ed. Note: There are a number of changes from traditional drafts so please read the entire OP):

1)
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)
    Provisionally
    8)
    9)

Judges
    1)
    2)
    Provisionally
    3)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    heels1785 and Jordan1Kenobi like this.
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    1)
    2)
    3) dp4m
    4)
    5)
    6)
    Provisionally
    8)
    9)

3. a star war

May 4, 2016
    I don't know how it jumped to 8 and 9 but it probably has to do with me being dumb.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    You probably went 1 - 9 and turned "7)" into "Provisionally"

5. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Who can say.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    You. The admins. The edit logs. Stan Lee. Inty.

7. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Sounds awesome a star war.

1)
    2)
    3) dp4m
    4) Jordan1Kenobi
    5)
    6)
    Provisionally
    8)
    9)

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    1)
    2) the legend of Inty
    3) dp4m
    4) Jordan1Kenobi
    5)
    6)
    7)
    8)

heels1785 likes this.
  9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    1)
    2) the legend of Inty
    3) dp4m
    4) Jordan1Kenobi
    5) heels, the never winner
    6)
    7)
    8)

10. a star war

May 4, 2016
    I'd like to make an addendum to prep time so as to clarify deliberations: Known weaknesses would be any weakness which has previously been exploited. In case that wasn't clear. So it's not about what the general populace knows, for instance. so the file includes known knowns and unknown knowns, but not known unknowns or unknown unknowns.

11. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    1) cubman987
    2) the legend of Inty
    3) dp4m
    4) Jordan1Kenobi
    5) heels, the never winner
    6)
    7)
    8)

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    [​IMG]

Darth Punk , heels1785 and dp4m like this.
  13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm attempting to recruit @MandaloreYak for a triumphant return, either as judge or GM.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Tell him Inty said "Batman over Despero was the right call"

heels1785 likes this.
  16. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Judging from Death Valley...

Judges
    1) Y.A.K.
    2)
    Provisionally
    3)

Darth Punk likes this.
  17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Oh boy. The Mechanized Yakism designed only for judging.

MandaloreYak likes this.
  18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I constructed additional pylons...

heels1785 likes this.
  19. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
  20. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Looks legitimate to me.

LloydChristmas and DarthIntegral like this.
  21. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Yusss

DarthIntegral and heels1785 like this.
  22. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Now it's a party.

heels1785 and Darth Punk like this.
  23. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Well that is 6. If we can get a couple of more that would be great. Another judge would also be nice, since, while draws are allowed, I'd rather have 3 parties voting.

How much time do you think you need to collect 10 characters? If you've signed up you're basically already on the clock, but I'd like to give a reasonable amount of time.

24. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    DIDI MAO SPEED
    [​IMG]

25. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    NB if anyone else wants to join the game as a GM, i'd be just as happy to switch over to a judging position this time around