main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

2. Hey Fanficers! In fixing the prefixes something happened and now you can't edit titles. Don't panic! We're looking into what happened and trying to fix it.

Index The All New Beta Readers Index - Need a beta? Want to beta? Come on In!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Beta Index, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Phasmus

Phasmus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2018
    I'm all for this topic becoming more active. As a writer, what I'm looking for in a good beta reader is an eye for detail, and for really helping me create a connection to the characters to the reader. I think this is definitely a skill and I'm enamored with other writers who are able to acheivesuch a personal link between the reader and the characters of a story. A great friend of mine seemingly has the ability to do this. I think it's a gift.

I also value a beta who is able to critic my work in an "easy to digest" kind of way, if that makes sense.

mavjade and Sith-I-5 like this.
  2. SideZeo

SideZeo Jedi Youngling

Jan 22, 2018
    Requesting a Beta

Era:
    Beyond the Saga
    Story Type: AU, New-Saga, OC's, New Factions, Continuation of Legends-Story (though slightly modified), Action, Military, (heavily influenced by KOTOR)
    Length: First Chapter, About 9000+ words across ten pages (60'000 Words across all current eight chapters)
    Summary:
    It began rather simple with the question "What if the people in the galaxy grew sick of force-users always waging wars?". And out of this question grew the monster that I know today as "Star Wars: Grey Sun". Because from an outsiders-perspective the fact that Jedi and Sith are continously killing each other has to look rather weird. Aside from the fact that a worrying amount of modern Sith-Lords consist of fallen Jedi, their wars also tend to be extremely destructive, with superweapons and force-storms destroying whole landscapes or even entire planets. So take all this into account and add another gigantic war, similiar to the ancient Jedi/Sith wars of the old Republic, with the normal people getting sick and tired of being drafted into essentially a religious conflict.

The main story plays 400 years after the movies, about 300 after Legends material stopped, in a galaxy that has eradicated any Jedi and Sith, with a galactic empire that calls itself the "Grey Empire", because they are neither on the side of light or darkness, choosing to be on the side of the common people. The story follows five protagonists (though one is a non force-user) in their struggles to survive in this galaxy, while trying to reestablish any form of order for force-users and get rid of the empire that is hunting them down. The first five chapters act as prolouges for them.

Type of Beta intervention wanted:
    Mainly grammar (because English isn't my native language and though I got a degree in Cambridge English Advanced, I tend to make rather stupid mistakes) Pacing, Character developement, Dialogue, possibly trimming - because as you can see, I have trouble keeping it short...
    Other info: Knowledge of Legends EU is necessary in this story; though there aren't too many references, the universe as a whole functions the same as in Legends. There aren't any direct retcons, but I do fill in some holes that are still present in Legends.
    In terms of drafting I'm already at chapter eight, but due to the fact that my first two drafts of a chapter are worthless, I need to go over my material multiple times; so if you spot any sentences that seem out of place, that might be the reason. I'd be thankful for any opinion on those, or even corrections. And as the summary above suggests, this thing is enormous and to a degree overly ambitious. So if you're not a fan of reading a lot of material, my stuff probably isn't going to be fun. But if anyone wants to stick around as a Beta, I'd be very thankful. I already have a buddy who I brain-storm with for the story, but I'm always open to other ideas or opinions.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018