main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The All-New Senate All-New Social Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by SuperWatto, Aug 2, 2013.

1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    At least the only grains is the booze.

2. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Look at the timestamp people. Local time 9:43AM.

3. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Pffft. I used to visit the Syracuse Hooter's and start drinking that early. :p

4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
  5. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    "The hills are alive with the sound of music.....la la la la la"

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Jabba do the Austrians follow the Dutch and German lead and have insanely salty bacon?

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh and Mr44 - thanks for the heads up re: Strike Back.

8. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I thought it was fairly salty, but some of the Austrians I was with added even more salt. They also serve the grease from pork roasts as a spread for bread. And that´s usually very salty.

9. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    Is that you in the blue shirt?

10. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    So far, the show has really dialed everything up...and that's kind of an understatement.

It's just a shame that it follows the UK tradition of only being a set series of 10 episodes per season. We in the US like our shows to last 20-30 episodes a season, for Pete's sake!

11. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    My son.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Mr44 - Yeah, ok, so aside from the nice tactical interplay between Scott and Stonebridge, the series has gotten silly. The whole Pegasus/"How high does your clearance go?" interplay is just macho posturing BS and not accurate or realistic at all.

Plus, isn't it funny how the Lebanon, California and Colombia all look like parts of South Africa? :D

13. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Overheard on the train: "Yeah, that call for an investigation was overboard. Too human-rightsy."

DarthBoba likes this.
  14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    How the HELL do you translate "human-rightsy" into Dutch? Or was it in English?

15. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    The sentence was in Dutch, but that word was in English.
    It's times like that when I understand French language purism...

16. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Eh, but it's always been kind of like that... The first British one with Porter vs his "dark secret" supervisor set the tone for that aspect. But yeah, that was my least favorite scene, and was quite overdone. Knowing the writers though, it's going to have some significance later on. The 2nd episode was much better, still being a fantasy/action show. Scott was in especially fine form. I think it's just the natural progression of such shows from The Unit, to NCIS, to ER, or whatever. The situations have to continue to be entertaining, because strict adherence to reality is boring.

That's called globalization..... seriously though, they filmed the Colombian scenes at the Simangaliso Wetland Park, while in South Africa, is still quite exotic. The later episodes will move back to Budapest as they have.

17. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Today was election day here in Norway, and we have a new right-wing coalition. Of course, from an American perspective, even our furthest right party is to the left of your Democratic Party.

DarthBoba likes this.
  18. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Speaking of salt ... was introduced to salted caramel this year ... first thought was ... oxymoron?! However, delightfully wonderful! :)

19. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Says the pickle in Elephant Man voice ... "I am not an animal!"

20. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Well E_S, if you managed to see the most recent episode of Strike Back, then I hope it redeemed itself in your eyes, as it was quite good...quite good indeed.

And for those who have any idea what this show is, us Yanks finally have the ability to see the original British Sky Channel mini-series without having to invest in a region-free DVD player and the like. In October, Porter's story is being broadcast on cable as a prequel titled "Strike Back: Origins, which is a bit of a marketing ploy, as Porter's series really wasn't a direct prequel per se, unless they add in some as yet unseen story footage. Still, it's about time.

DarthBoba likes this.
  21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    My new job is a little overwhelming but I think I'm handling it well so far. I worked at the school from 7:30am-6:00pm today. Then when I came home, I finished writing a mini-speech I'll have to give next Friday, finished the learning objectives and marketing pitch for my first 10-week afterschool program that starts in October (this one on creative writing) that I'm designing and running, compiled a list of research/data objectives for my new role as the school's math coordinator, almost done with who to put on the focus lists for attendance/tardiness and behavior/leadership for my 5th grade classroom, and now I have to go to bed so I can help my team lead our first power greetings and physical training demonstrations from 7:30-8:15 tomorrow morning. So if anyone has noticed that I'm posting less, this is why!

22. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Last week, I had the opportunity to fly to Seattle to interview with Amazon Web Services. The job would get me about a $30k raise, a TS clearance, and a 10% discount on everything from Amazon (up to $1000/year). While I didn't get the job, it was a great experience, and I learned a lot from it.

This week, I got an interview with another company. They called me on Monday, I interviewed yesterday and had an informal offer from them sitting in my email when I got home. Their offer basically matches everything I would have gotten from Amazon except the 10% discount. Today, they verified my references (including my current boss, who knew about my job search and supported my reasons for it), and they have said that they will release my final offer letter today.

Tomorrow, I am giving my two weeks' notice. After 7 years in my current job, I am moving on to greener pastures (and a more stable contract). I'm not going to have to worry about health coverage for my pregnant wife (who is due 3 weeks after my current contract ends), and we can definitely use the extra $2500/month with a third kid on the way. Best of all, I will be in a position where I can start stretching my skills again and learning from others around me.

Today is a good day. :)

23. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Cognrats, Kimball! Job searches are so much more fun when the offers roll in.

24. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Have fun with the TS clearance-one of my soldiers got his couple of months ago. Not that huge a hassle.

25. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    About to board my plane, bound for San Francisco. Clam chowder here I come!

DarthBoba likes this.