main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The All-New Senate All-New Social Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by SuperWatto, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Bah, the Northwestern Wildcats don't hold a candle to the Loyola Ramblers.....Which is strange that I posted that considering I never actually attended a game of either..

Still, I'd take Loyola's Water Tower campus over pseudo-yuppie Evanston any day of the week.

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I've never been to a Northwestern game in all my years in Chicago. And I still haven't set foot on the Northwestern campus.

3. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Yikes! I was going to mention that you should go to Yesterday's Café on Sherman and visit Northwestern's campus, but then I found out that Yesterday's is closed. Oh well. Without Yesterday's around, tell your son to pick another school. Seriously....

For trivia's sake, here's the review I found on line for where Yesterday's used to be. I think the reviewer perfectly captures the sentiment:

Malnati's pan pizza is made Chicago-style, with gourmet chunky tomato sauce layered over the sausage and cheese. Their crust is wholesome, buttery, and flavorful. The dining room is small, but they do a hefty take-out business. Malnati's occupies the site of the former Yesterday’s restaurant, which was a south campus tradition for many years. The number of NU students who either dined or worked at Yesterday’s is mind-boggling. Anyway, Yesterday’s is gone. It is now a Malnati’s and looks nothing like its former self. Those who loved Yesterday's restaurant will probably never forgive the Malnati's chain for opening a restaurant in this space. However, the excellence of their pizza cannot be denied.

4. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Malnati's is good. My only problem with the original Lou Malnati's on Wells (same chain?) is that every time I get a booth there's a cockroach crawling on the walls. It doesn't seem to hurt the flavor of the pizza though.

but I'll let the boy know he has to find another university. He should be hearing from Illinois and Michigan today.

5. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    You can't in good conscience go to a Malanti's after you've tried Pizzeria Uno (or Due). After all, Chicago's Ike Sewell and Uno founder, invented deep dish pizza and welcomed it to the world. Lou Malnati is like Luke to Uno's Yoda.

Although in both Malanti's and Uno's cases, I think they diminished a bit when they franchised out. But that's progress I suppose.

6. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    What the hell do I know? I grew up in central Illinois with a pizza chain called "Monical's" - basically tomato paste spread on Matzo.

7. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Did you guys ever meet each other?

8. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    No, but I'm very sad about it.

9. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I've been hearing great things about this pizza parlor downtown. Local joint. What was it's name... Domeeno's!

[​IMG]

You mean Domino's?

10. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Domeeno's pizza also sells these wonderful French deserts..

I think they're called Neslee Toulhouse.

11. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Psch.
    You do know Ender Sai is from the other side of the world but we still managed to meet up.

[​IMG]

12. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Great photo. Ender looks familiar, I might have bumped into him once in Martin Place.

13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    You're taller than I assumed. :p

14. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Jabba and I have never met because if I ever set foot into Oak Park, then I would burst into flames or something...Either that or choke to death on the scent of potpourri.

No, we would definitely have to meet at a neutral location like Berwyn (Beeer-wyn) which is a town that is equally held in low regard by every other town in the area.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    God, that was what... six months ago or something?

Amsterdam's such a great town. I am driving round with an NL sticker on the back of my car, Watto.

SuperWatto likes this.
  16. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I waited for the perfect time to post it.

17. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Also, western Europeans tend to underestimate the appeal of Chicago as a tourist destination. But it has world class museums and the nation's most beautiful skyline. Plus top-notch cuisine and easy access to heroin.

18. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Always wanted to go to the field museum, myself.

19. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Ever seen the movie The Relic? A horror movie filmed in part at the Field that offers a sort fantasy version of the museum.

20. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, I have. Although the book and movie of that are a mess...ever read it? It's originally set in the American Museum Of Natural History, for starters.

21. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    no, I didn't even know it was a book adaptation.

22. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Oh, it is; actually part of a series:

http://www.goodreads.com/series/40552-pendergast

They're basically an R-rated version of The X-Files, right down to the weirdo FBI agent in them, although he doesn't really become the central character until the third or fourth book.

23. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I ended up spending a few days in Chicago years back on my way to the east coast. I was very surprised that it was so nice.

24. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    If you want to go to the Field Museum, you really have to leave an extra day or two and take a tour of the entire museum campus. People don't realize that the actual museum campus park comprises 60 acres along Lake Michigan, and links the Planetarium, the Aquarium, and the Field Museum with walking trails.

Although my favorite, the Museum of Science and Industry sits a bit South of the others and has to be reached by taxi. The S& I museum is the one that has the captured German U-Boat U-505 on display, and houses the Henry Crown Space Center, with its Apollo 8 on display. The Science and Industry Museum also held the touring Star Wars Science exhibit from a couple of years ago.

Another favorite of mine is the Museum of Broadcast Communications. It used to be in an older building, and the move to its new location could be the subject of a soap opera. But it houses all sorts of eclectic examples from television history, including all sorts of old news broadcasts, and they rotate the featured exhibit.

Chicago also used to have its own Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum and down the street from it, a museum based on the history of Burlesque and the art of strippers, but those closed down a while ago.

25. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    DarthBoba, thanks for the recommendation; I've been looking for a good commuter train read.

44, yeah the museum campus is lovely, I've done Bike the Drive 8 of the last 10 years or so, and absolutely love the ride south from Buckingham Fountain past the Museum campus all the way down to Science and Industry.

And of course, and pardon this, because I tend to bring this up a few times a year, the Museum Campus is also the headquarters for the North American Man-Fish Love Association:

[​IMG]