main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

!!!!!!!The All New Trailer Contest!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Ellbobin, Jun 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    audio lead-in

This is so funny coz it's one of those art-imitates-life thing.

Audio lead-in was originally a flaw, due to the fact that optical sound leads by a feet or so before the picture, so if you make a straight cut on a piece of film with optical audio tracks, you get audio-lead-in as a side-effect.

And here I will expand on my experience with this.

When I did the first cut of the trailer is was about 4 minutes long. I screened it for a couple of friends. I noticed entirely too many areas where they were bored - waiting for something to happen.

I needed to tighten it up.

I stumbled on the audio lead-in during the re-edit. It was like the cartoons. A big friggin light bulb turned on!! That's what I was missing. Overlapping the scenes to really tighten it up.

At the time, I didn't realise I had stumbled upon an age old trick. I came to notice soon after that ALL TRAILERs are cut that way.

It's funny that that mistake ended up being a trademark for that kind of editing. But, it's really effective, no matter how it came to be.

2. darthdastoli

darthdastoli Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2000
    Sounds like a great idea. And I say this because we already have one waiting. Where do I upload the file?

3. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    For a project you do not plan to make?

4. Antilles01

Antilles01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 5, 2001
    look who wrote the post, the movie itself is probably finished.

5. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Yeah and theres probably a few hundered made after it as well!

6. Ellbobin

Jan 30, 2004
  7. Darth_Brad03

Darth_Brad03 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Got any info to add to your bump? Any guidelines, deadline, or rules we need to know of before starting this?

8. Ellbobin

Jan 30, 2004
    Not realy, dont think theres gonna be a defanate deadline anytime soon, a few months is what you need so maybe late september early october sorta time.

9. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Well in any case, if you're serious about the idea, you should post an official thread for it with the final rules and deadline for people to work off of. Also be sure to explain whereto send the files once people are finished.

10. DMPjedi

DMPjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2003
  11. Sage_Halcyon

Sage_Halcyon Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    Yep. And good luck.

:)

Sage H.

12. DMPjedi

Mar 26, 2003
    That was a joke^^

Anywho, this is a cool idea. I love making trailers (what I do for my brother's BMX videos) and will definately do one for this :D

13. Sage_Halcyon

Mar 3, 2002
    This still on?

Sage H.

14. DMPjedi

Mar 26, 2003
    Figures, another thread dies on me...

15. Ellbobin

Jan 30, 2004
    Yep its still on. I just havn't been on over the weekend as I was camping. I was gonna make my trailer but some guy thought I was dangous and snaped my saber in half (b****d) any way I'll work on the T&C tonight.

16. Sage_Halcyon

Mar 3, 2002
    Threadkilla.

:p

Sage H.

17. rogue_09

rogue_09 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    What if the trailer does have a film attached? Cause I don't doubt that I'll be releasing the trailer to my film right around the contest deadline.

18. Sage_Halcyon

Mar 3, 2002
    I think it shouldn't matter if it's for a film coming out or not. Make a trailer. Have fun with it. Who cares if it's a work in progress?

BTW, we need to get this organized and running with some rules soon. Also, a release date needs to be set.

And may God have mercy on the souls of the organizers!

:p

Sage H.

19. Darth_Brad03

Sep 21, 2003
    The contest is intend so that you write a new story and film the scenes that will be in your trailer. There shouldn't be a real film attached to it...at least that is my take.

EDIT: I could wrong tho :p

20. rogue_09

Jul 2, 2003
    Well, to you guys it will be just a trailer since the actual film won't be available on the internet.

I can't wait. I've been planning the trailer as much as the actual film. Whee. :D

21. Ellbobin

Jan 30, 2004
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What be said. If after the contest you make the rest of the movie thats OK but it should organil be created for the contest.

22. Darth_Brad03

Sep 21, 2003
    Yeah, I know it is mainly about the editing of the trailer, but it wouldn't be fair if some have a ton of footage already shot with finalized effects that they can choose from. Probably best if it is all original.

23. Sage_Halcyon

Mar 3, 2002
    The problem is this though: Somebody makes a really cool trailer. Then later upon thinking on it, since they really like it, they decide to make a film out of the same idea/shots, etc... Are they supposed to just give up their idea? What if you see one in this contest you really like? Wouldn't you hate it if no one was supposed to take it a step farther and make it?

I'm just saying that this needs to be given some thought.

EDIT: Ok, this seems to be clearing up a bit now.

Sage H.

24. rogue_09

Jul 2, 2003
    Sooooo, I'm out? I don't see the harm in my entering. Either way a trailer is made. Mine just happens to have a full film behind it. Nothing has been filmed yet, so I'm not starting early or anything.

25. Sage_Halcyon

Mar 3, 2002
    I think it shouldn't matter where the source material comes from. Just as long as you do the trailer for this contest.

Sage H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.