main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Alliance in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Sep 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    Forgive me if there is already a thread dedicated to this.

We have had much speculation in these forums about the state of The Empire post RotJ, but what about The Rebel Alliance?

Apparently The Empire didn't just fade away after the Emperor's demise... Did the Rebels ever get the upper hand in the galaxy, or are they still scrappy underdogs? Some of the X-wings we've seen look pretty beat up...and the spy footage from England definitely had pilots in Rebel uniforms rushing to them...

Still, Solo is rumored to be flying a (Super?) Star Destroyer, (used or not, that's still a mighty big statement of power.) So they may have more resources or territory than they once had.

Anyway, Imperial technology seems to have advanced, while Rebel tech is still used castoffs.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I think by the ST, the Rebel Alliance is more or less a revolutionary government; it might even refer to itself as the Galactic Republic.

DaddlerTheDalek and EternalHero like this.
  3. TelemachosJr

TelemachosJr Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2014
    With the empire gone surly the alliance has become the new republic

EternalHero likes this.
  4. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't reckon they'll add "new". Sounds really corny.

Dak Oolron and darklordoftech like this.
  5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if the Alliance stayed together or split into multiple factions. Many rebel groups split after overthrowing the reigning regime.

6. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    That's a good point. We already know the Lotahl rebels from Rebels were completely independent of the Rebel Alliance.

darklordoftech likes this.
  7. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001

"One Republic" would sound like a lame pop rock band. Oh wait

Dak Oolron, Han Burgundy and DanielUK like this.
  8. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    The way that I see it, I think the Empire will be in a state of decline against a more powerful Rebel Alliance, who themselves have probably reclaimed enough space from the Empire that nobody's really calling them "Rebels" anymore. I suspect the word "Alliance" will be more frequently used to refer to our good guys this time around. If the galaxy is more or less split 50/50 between Alliance and Imperial worlds, notwithstanding Hutt Space, Wild Space or what have you. Nevertheless I doubt either party will have any legitimate claim to the"Galactic" status that the Republic or Empire previously held.

fishtailsam likes this.
  9. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    If the Empire lives on, I'd prefer they did it in a way that indicates the roles have been switched. So the Rebels are now the Republic, and what's left of the Empire are now essentially the Rebels trying to overthrow the Republic and regain power.

10. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    If the Alliance was to call itself anything to do with the Republic, surely it would just use Galactic Republic, as before. The issue is that the Empire is the Republic, in the sense that it transitioned from one to the other. To really defeat it, you have to do it from inside, in the same sense that Palpatine defeated the Republic by working from within. Perhaps this is Leia's path in the new films? Undoing the corruption that Palpy sowed throughout the senate and the government. Hopefully without nearly as many expository politcal scenes (because those were boring and have no place in an adventure serial).

All signs at this point do seem to indicate that there's still an Empire, there are still Rebels, and that they still do battle. The film makers probably want to avoid any overly complex politics that explain this, so the reason why this is the situation will probably be fairly simple, and explained in the opening crawl, I suspect.

DanielUK and Satipo like this.
  11. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    As the Empire weakens, Alliance in-fighting should probably increase.

I think there should be a natural conflict between rebels who believe republic corruption was mainly the result of Palpatine, and those who remember the long history of corruption in the republic. The result is multiple splits between rebels who believe in strong, weak, or non-existent forms of centralized galactic governance.

12. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Any infighting, domestic politics will probably be left to the novels.

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The absence of a galactic government would help avoid boring politics.

14. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

Who says the Rebels want to re-instate the Republic?

Its not the Republic was an amazing government free from corruption, which always did what was best for people/planets/systems etc... It had plenty of issues too.

Maybe we won't see 1 centerialize galaxy wide government in the ST.

CoolyFett and darklordoftech like this.
  15. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Restoration of the Galactic Republic was something Lucas envisaged towards the end of the ST

Jobertus likes this.
  16. ifleninwasawizard

Jun 2, 2014
    The origins of the infighting may be left to the novels, but the actual combat between those groups may be in the movies. If done right, only a little exposition is needed to explain the differences between the groups.

darklordoftech likes this.
  17. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    It's called the Alliance to Restore the Republic.

Jobertus likes this.
  18. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Exactly this.

They should be faithful to ROTJ. The rebels won; a new Republic should have been created. Fragments of the former Empire then plot in secret, to gain back power, and bring back Tyranny to the Galaxy. 32 years later, we see that this Emperial Fragment have been openly taking on the New Republic, and have become a real threat.

Jobertus likes this.
  19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    in the EU

20. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

Says who? Besides, you know Lucas didn't write the ST.

Not in an canon source I'm aware of.

21. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    The Canon Wookieepedia page still calls it that, and normally they're pretty stringent about that sort of thing.

22. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

Yeah, but what is their source?

23. ifleninwasawizard

Jun 2, 2014
    Yet the databank still only refers to it as the Rebel Alliance. The only political motivation attributed to the rebellion is the restoration of democracy.

Though, to be fair, the description also says "the Rebel Alliance triumphed over the Empire at the Battle of Endor." While this is vague, it still sort of contradicts all the rumors we have been hearing. My feeling is both the people at the official site and the people at Wookieepedia probably know very little about how the rebellion is going to be further characterized.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It could be one of those short stories like Blade Squadron that uses the full name.

25. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    It'll most likely just be called the Alliance or the Alliance of Free Planets or something along those lines. I don't expect to here the words Galactic Republic until the end of the ST.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.