main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Alliance in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Sep 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    The question is: Which elements? The movies don't make it clear whether the Rebellion is invoking the Republic or running away from it.[/quote]

I don't think it is ever stated anywhere in the movies. but I think the first novelization gives the Rebellion the official title of Alliance to Restore the Republic.

In regards to real world events, civil servants and lower ranking military are often kept in place or given jobs to rebuild the defeated nation, sometimes any wrongs they committed are ignored or wiped away.

For example, a Grand Moff like Tarkin would face a trial and punishment but the chief aide who to the Imperial minister of agriculture would keep his job when the Rebels take Coruscant but he knows the ins and outs of the system and how to get things done for the new minister that Mon Mothma puts in the role - the aide may only be a civil servant and any past acts of corruption may be overlooked.

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    That is indeed what happened in the old EU, but if that was really J.J. Abrams who posted there earlier, then it seems like there is no New Republic or new Republic or Galactic Alliance or whatever. Well, either that or the Empire is still in place and the Rebels are still fighting them from the shadows. Anyway, the whole thing with lower-level civil servants from a morally questionable regime being retained or rehabilitated is the sort of interesting minute detail that would make it into a novel, but not a movie.

3. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    I have some land in southern Florida for sale. Cheap, too!

DurararaFTW, Rabs and Hoggsquattle like this.
  4. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    I just don't know, sometimes , I just don't :p

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup- Leia's somewhat longer speech in the Artoo hologram used that phrase. Just before "Years ago, General, you served the Republic in the Clone Wars."

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  6. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Oh, well if that's not really J.J. Abrams, then the mods should do something about that. And by that, I mean permaban him, so he doesn't confuse anyone else.

7. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014

[face_clown]

8. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

[​IMG]

9. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Am I missing something here? Because if Abrams did make an account on this board and announced himself to everyone here sometime ago...well I missed it. So unless I see "J.J. Abrams" get permabanned, I'm just going to assume it's actually him.

10. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    You know we really wish someone would post a thread on JJ because it is starting to get away fro this thread's title. Next post JJ sends ask for immediate identity if there is no honest response we can assume it is not him.

11. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Guys, a little common sense.Come on.

12. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    I'm looking forward to seeing the new Alliance uniforms (and the Imperial ones).

I'm hoping for actual costumes (jackets, helmets, etc.) and not one piece jumpsuits, which always look naff.

And I hope there is a variety - that the uniforms across the military vary with army, navy and fighter pilots - and the various specialities within each like engineers and mechanics. Also, dress uniforms would be good.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Also I'd like to see more people that are higher up in rank, the leaders of this period's incarnation of the Alliance. I loved seeing that-in ROTJ especially-didn't really feel we saw enough of it in fact, and it would be a nice change to see more than just pilots, soldiers and mid-level officers and the like.

It's obvious that imperial forces still exist in some form or another. But still, after 30 years, assuming that the events of the end of ROTJ were NOT all for naught, I'd imagine the Alliance has gained a better foothold throughout the galaxy-or at least improved in strength, organization and support. If that be the case, I would like to see more of the hierarchy of the Alliance. I think it would give a wider sense of strength and scope to their organization, instead of still giving the impression that they're a ragtag bunch of dedicated idealists (like we for the most part see in the OT.)

Whatever it may be, I really just hope that the Alliance had made at least some progress over the last several decades, since destroying the emperor, death star II and a sizable portion of the imperial fleet...

whostheBossk and CoolyFett like this.
  14. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    People associated with Star Wars have made accounts and posted before. Peter Mayhew for one (after Episode 2). They were verified and made into V.I.P. members. If it was really JJ, you can bet he'd have a red handle with a little V.I.P. under it, and several mods would have confirmed him. No celebrity would make an anonymous account on a message board under their own name and assume everyone believes them. It wouldn't surprise me if a few people associated with SW have accounts (even cast members) and just aren't advertising the fact, but that doesn't help much does it?

Common sense, folks.

Agreed. I'd also like to see what Coruscant looks like decades after the little glimpse we got in ROTJ.

CoolyFett likes this.
  15. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    Guys... I really am LottDodd.... I assumed you were all using your real names.

Dang this internet thingie is confusing...

Back on topic, the government would not be a "Republic" yet, unless the Senate has been reestablished. Is the Alliance still a military hierarchy, or are they a full democratic entity at this point? Do former Imperials, or their planets, get represented in the new Government?

16. Grand Master Galen Marek

Jun 22, 2014
    We believe you Lott Dodd & no we do not use are really names.

17. Grand Master Galen Marek

Jun 22, 2014
    Just voicing opinion give me a break.

18. Grand Master Galen Marek

Jun 22, 2014

19. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    [face_plain]

20. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    Well, New York city has a different skyline today than it did in 1964, so it's probable that Coruscant would look a bit different.

whostheBossk and darklordoftech like this.
  21. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Just voicing opinion give me a break.[/quote]

Think about it - JJ Abrams? Really?o_O

22. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Whoa, whoa. Do people actually think that’s him?

DarthSyverus likes this.
  23. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Yes. [face_plain]

Anywhos, a final Merry Christmas to one and all.

Have a great holiday and see you all laters. ;)

24. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012

Well said. Getting rid of Palpatine and the Death Star II had to make SOME impact. Otherwise, what the heck was the point of ROTJ? Just a filler movie? Of course not.

I suspect that the Alliance is a LOT stronger, and probably has more territory than the Imperials. If it is indeed equivalent to a 1944 WWII scenario, remember that, while the Axis did have a lot of punch left, they were clearly losing the war (i.e. Normandy, Leyte Gulf, etc.).

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  25. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I think that the GALACTIC ALLIANCE would be a MUCH better term to describe the group that contains our heroes. If there is a portion of the Empire that still exists, assuming it's kind of an insurgent group or a group that is rebuilding itself, then having the Rebels or Rebellion would be pointless. Thirty years later, they wouldn't be rebelling against anyone. Instead, at worst, they would probably be trying to establish something, having hit speed bump after speed bump due to annoying little imperial remnant groups that are blocking all of their attempts.

The new REPUBLIC should be formed when some of the insurgent groups join the alliance to defeat the overall bad guys, the Sith.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.