main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC The Allusions to Star Wars in Other Media Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by There_Are_Four_Lights, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. There_Are_Four_Lights

There_Are_Four_Lights Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 30, 2014
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are certainly tipping the hat to George Lucas. Numerous Star Wars allusions are to be found in the weekly cartoon series.

If you have not seen it, I recommend you do ... like the best cartoons, it has something for the adults as well as the kiddies.

This week, dialogue included "Not a bad bit of rescuing" and "I have you now." But there are more ... better allusions.

Anyone? Anyone?

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I'm not convinced it's deliberate.

3. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    i think it may be deliberate.a lot of creative people in hollywood are star wars fans

4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Moving to SWC

5. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    yeah..not really convinced :p

if the dialogue had something like:

Splinter: the Ninja shouldn't crave excitement and adventures, Michaelangeloooooooooooo

or:

Shredder: this is a day long remembered, it has seen the end of that rat splinter, and the scampering of turtles

you might have a case :p

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Thread renamed to broaden its scope.

7. There_Are_Four_Lights

Apr 30, 2014
    SPOILER ALERT: One of the Turtles, Leonardo, fell for a gal who turned out to be his sister. Ring a bell?

8. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    I think some of the dialogue could certainly be a tip of the hat to SW. I can't think of anything specific right now, but I have heard some lines that made me wonder.

Nice screen name by the way, if it's from what I think it may be. ;)

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There's a few allusions in the Order of the Stick webcomic.

10. There_Are_Four_Lights

Apr 30, 2014
    For sheer allusion to Star Wars, there is no beating "Wanted" from 2008, starring Angelina Jolie, and I'm surprised I never heard anyone pick up on this.

SPOILER ALERT: A young man is discontented with his life ... a visitor informs him that his father was a member of a secret super-society, and he, too, has his father's latent power within him. He trains with them to develop a superior skill-set, then is sent after the man who killed his father. He comes to find out that this man IS his father.

I would have bet a million bucks Angelina would have turned out to be this young man's sister, but it did not happen that way.

11. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Recently I saw some films about Asterix and Obelix again. And now that I know starwars I recognized a lot of allusions.

1.There are some in Asterix at the Olympic games,
    where you see a green lightsaber in that experimental chamber of the evil scientist.

2. Asterix and Obelix: Mission Cleopatra
    There is that scene where the Vader-like general of Cesar does bombad the new palace of Cleopatra still under construction. He says: "The rebels hiding inside the palace have to be eliminated." A clear reference to Vaders mission to seize Senator Fang Zar in the royal palace of Alderaan where Bail Organa tries to protect him in the novel "The rise of Darth Vader" by James Luceno.

In the fight between the rival Egyptian architects Amenophis and Numerobis there is an allusion to the TCW, the Savage-Nightsisters-arc in S3 (Monster). You see Amenophis saving (his cousin?) from the attacking Numerobis just like Savage saved Feral. Afterwards both architects, imbued with the power-drink of Miraculix have a hand-to-hand-combat just like Ventress had with Savage afterwards. Their reflexes are so fast that they don't touch each other like in shadow-boxing. Afterwards they jump on the top of columns (trial of elevation).

3. Asterix and Obelix: God save Britannia
    An allusion to TCW S2 (Cloak of Darkness), where Ahsoka Tano and Luminara Unduli have to watch over captured Neimoidian viceroy Nute Gunray. Here we see Miss MacIntosh who had a crush on Obelix (mother of Jolitorax) together with her daughter in law Olivia in spe who watch over the captured Norman guy. Olivia tries to force him into confession about the Norman's plans but Miss MacIntosh tells her (just like Luminara did to Ahsoka) that this is not the way of a well-mannered English lady and then they teach the on the chair-fettered Norman some manners in a very funny way. That really make me lough. Of course the Norman guy can escape. Just like Nute Gunray.

The "I'm your father"-line of Vader appears also (Cesar sais that to Obelix) but I'm not sure in which of that movies.

Maybe I see more allusions in the future because I didn't see all TCW-episodes yet nor did I read every SW-novel.

Here is a list in the www of some more allusions and references to SW in other movies.

Do you know even more?

12. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    The 'I'm your father'-line is also in Asterix and Obelix "God save Britannia". Then there is the scene after Ophelia and Mrs McIntosh vs. Norman warrior gave Ahsoka/Luminara vs. Nute Gunray: After they trained the Norman in good British manners, he is still reluctant to give them the whereabouts of his Norman comrades, because a gentleman doesn't commit such treason against his fellows. Then Asterix and Mrs McInthosh concoct a plan to let the Norman flee that he may leave a trail (the de-threaded Gobelin) in order to show them the hide-out of his Norman partners in combat. That scene reminds me so badly on "Son of Dathomir", but I wonder if "SoD was ever written by the time "God save Brittania" came out. Or did the makers of Asterix and Obelix know probably about the lost TCW-arcs before?

13. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    These days we watched Ninjago and I observed many similarities in Season 4 (Tournament of Elements) with the Exar Kun-Story. The henchman Clouse looks quite like Exar commanding his red-dressed massasi-like slaves he wants to turn into anacondrai-warriors just as the massassi were turned into that fighting-machines by Naga Sadow and Freedon Nadd before. While Clouse's master Chen is resembling Haazen. Having not talents on his own, he steals the talents of others like Haazen did sent the jedi at his service to bring him more and more Sith-artefacts to enhance and broaden his powers. Both Chen/Haazen are deceiving and fooling everybody around about their true intentions. At the end Chen is also stripping his own daughter Skyler (Dossa?) from her powers.

While the not yet finished season 5 (Winds of Change) is like the story of how Exar Kun left the Jedi to become a powerful force-ghost commanding other ghosts while Sensei Wu is like Vodo-Siosk Baas here, fighting with his wooden stick.

14. TwinSunset

TwinSunset Jedi Padawan

Aug 28, 2016
    JJ has been revealed as the true villain behind the disastrous american presidential election! I sense some very funny Star Wars jokes coming for us later on this season. [face_tee_hee]

15. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Thread merge.

16. TwinSunset

TwinSunset Jedi Padawan

Aug 28, 2016
    Was it necessary to move my thread to a thread that hasn't been touched in over a year? :_|

17. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Yup, it was as a thread for these sorts of topics already existed. If you have a complaint or would like to discuss it further I suggest you bring it up via a private message/conversation with me rather than further detract from the topic you wish to discuss.

18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Has anyone come across any references to Star Wars that they thought were amusing, interesting, etc.?

- In 5th grade, there was an anti-smoking presentation called "Tar Wars".

- In junior year of high school, my English teacher bought a new iphone and said that he "upgraded to the dark side."

19. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    This thread already exists, merging.

20. DJT

DJT Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2017

Princess Leia spotted in this music video to Da Dip

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

21. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Well, DJT, and the girl with the three thin ponytails on her head is surely Rey. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.