main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Amazing Race: Season Premiere Tonight

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by wild_karrde, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    One of the funniest episodes of TAR ever, given Dan's marching technique, which has to be seen to be believed. The watching Russian military laughed like mad, and who could blame them?

2. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    LATEST EPISODE
    You're Gonna Get Me Killed
    Airs: Sunday November 30, 2008

"In the race's tenth leg, the teams continue their journey through Moscow, Russia, hoping to secure a spot in the final three. Andrew and Dan struggle to remain in the race when faced with a Speed Bump requiring rhythm. All teams struggle with difficulties involving public transportation. One team suffers a major blow to their chances when they lose their passports and all their money. This, or another mistake, leads to one team being unable to join the others at the race's finish line."

3. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    And so three unlikeable teams compete for the $1,000,000.00...if it's Dandrew, the show may never recover.

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    LATEST EPISODE
    You Look Like Peter Pan
    Airs: Sunday December 7, 2008

"The final three teams race for the finish line Portland, Oregon in the race's finale. Former alliance members battle for position as the race comes down to the wire. Teams face the usual difficulties with transportation, as well as the increased pressure of the final leg. Andrew Lappitt and Dan Honig struggle for victory despite never having won a leg. Nick and Starr Spangler look to cap a long streak of victories by winning the million dollar prize. Finally, Ken and Tina Greene look to take the top spot, while struggling to solidify their faltering relationship in the process."

5. LetoQuorme

LetoQuorme Mos Alba FF Chapter Rep star 4

Nov 11, 2001
    Good finale last night. Glad to see that the team I had picked to win since week 1 took home the million. Just one question: who names their kid Starr Spangler?

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    A sadist, obviously...the nerds were no threat, but Ken and Tina might have been, if she could stop insulting him a minute or two.

7. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    8-9PM
    CBS

Season Premiere
    The Amazing Race 14

"Just when you think the race around the world can't throw you a curve, they cast vegan screenwriter Mike White (School of Rock) and his gay rights activist dad, Mel. ''I had some trepidations,'' says Mike about doing season 14. ''Nothing makes me regress faster than being embarrassed by my dad on television.'' Mel, however, embraced team spirit. ''[Mel] came over like, 'We have to get matching outfits!' I said, 'I'm not going to be Liza Minnelli to your Judy Garland.''' Mike won't hint how long they last, but he'll say where the $1 million prize would end up. ''My dad kept saying we'd give it to charity,'' says Mike. ''It was like, 'Hell, no. You're my charity.'''

9. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Here's a review from EW:

"The Amazing Race (2009)

Who moved my cheese: The Amazing Race 14 contestant Cara struggles in Switzerland

Start Date: Feb 15, 2009; Genre: Reality TV
    A-
    By Ken Tucker

"Few things signal ?a fine new season of The Amazing Race better than when a contestant yells the words ''Don't let the cheese hit me!'' and you don't laugh but rather fear for his life.

So it is in the premiere of season 14, when members of 11 teams must carry ?50-pound wheels of cheese down a hill ?in Switzerland. And not just carry, but ?balance them on a wooden ''antique cheese rack'' strapped to their backs. Pretty ?soon, wood is splintering and cheese is rumbling anarchically toward such duos as:

·Margie and Luke, a mother-son pair. Luke is Race's first deaf contestant and proudly does not read lips. I know this can be a heated topic in deaf circles; fortunately in Race circles, you can usually see (no hearing necessary) when a giant block of cheese is coming at you ? or, as in ?episode 2, a pie is being thrown in your face.

·Mel and Mike, geezer dad and his perpetually grinning son, who's actually screenwriter-actor Mike White. He credits himself here as the writer of School of Rock, but truly touched greatness (just ask Owen Gleiberman) with his creepazoid turn in 2000's Chuck & Buck.

·Steve and Linda, married and self-?proclaimed Virginia ''hillbillies'' who do a lotta yellin' and cryin'.

That's just the cream o' the crop; there's a crackerjack assortment of Race teams this season, and I really like the way the show has incorporated more 24-style split-screen editing that lets you know where teams are in relation to each other during competitions. So far, the challenges and roadblocks are real tests of brains and endurance, with a notable lessening of those long jabbering-at-ticket-agents-in-foreign-airports montages that were becoming a drag. And of course ?we couldn't have a Race without host Phil Keoghan, who sets up such challenges as the pie-throwing event with lines like ''Teams could find themselves...getting creamed.'' Phil is the TV industry standard for pure ham-on-wry. Even the ''hillbillies'' agree: ''I love the eyebrow!'' says Linda, when Keoghan raises it to convey his signature expression of amused dubiousness ? or is that dubious amusement?

The Amazing Race remains the most ?exhilarating reality show because it provokes such a wide range of emotions in the contestants and in us. You can always ?find a team to identify with and invest ?in; you can always find a few brats to detest. Then there's the subtler middle ground. ?I think the addition of Luke will prove ?edifying. Right now, other teams talk earnestly to the camera about his ''integrity,'' but if the deaf kid starts smokin' the ?competition, pious p.c. sentiments will probably degenerate as fast as Mike White's dad's pulled groin. Ouch. And yay. A?"

10. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Recap

I thought the flying cheese bombs were hilarious, and the local yokels cracking themselves up over it were even funnier. Also like the "less airport/more scenery" policy; Switzerland looked wonderful.

11. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    LATEST EPISODE
    Your Target Is Your Partner's Face
    Airs: Sunday February 22, 2009

"Fresh off the first elimination, the ten remaining teams continue on with the race, this time heading for Bavaria, Germany. Included in the tasks along the way is a task involving team members throwing pies at their partners. One racer becomes lost in the Alps. A second team is eliminated from the race."

They'll have to go a long way to match the flying cheese...

12. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    I'm happy that Margie and Luke are doing so well. That is the team that my family is hoping to win.

I do like that they are telling us a little more where everyone is in relation to the others, and a few more actual times are being used.

I was really annoyed with the lawyer siblings this week. The brother thinks that he is always right, and thinks that what his sister says is wrong.

13. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Yeah, that elder brother has got to be less controlling.

14. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    LATEST EPISODE
    It Was Like a Caravan of Idiots
    Air date: Sunday March 8, 2009

"The eight remaining teams continue the race, this time braving the cold of Siberia. Teams become frustrating by a task that requires them to build a wall. One racer encounters a dead-end after taking a harrowing ride."

15. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    EW Recap

These people don't know who Lenin is, let alone Chekhov.

16. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998

8-9PM
    CBS

The Amazing Race 14

"It's impossible to be cynical while watching Mel White traipse through Russia tonight. All injured groin and mushy adoration of his screenwriter son, he's the most adorable reality show contestant ever."

17. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    New episode tonight...they are still in India, which looks amazingly beautiful.

18. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    8-9PM
    CBS

The Amazing Race 14

"In Bangkok two episodes in a row? Phil must really like his pad thai."

19. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Next Episode

Our Parents Will Cry Themselves to Death

"The five remaining teams resume the race, this time traveling to Guilin, China. Mark and Michael await their upcoming Speed Bump. Meanwhile, Luke and Jen battle each other, leading to a huge confrontation at the Pit Stop."

Airs: 04/19/09

20. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Next Episode

He Made Me Look Like Alice Cooper

"The race for the final three is on as the four remaining teams resume the race, continuing their journey through Beijing, China, the leg begun in the previous episode. Teams are made to stomach Chinese delicacies not at all to their taste. Jaime and Cara hit up hard against the language barrier, jeopardizing their chances of making it into the final three."

Airs: 05/03/09

21. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Jen made a really stupid decision there, I think

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    8-9PM
    CBS

Season FinalePreview
    The Amazing Race 14

"Season 14 has been a crazy standout, with contestants under siege by killer cheese, dry-humping elephants, and a brand-new kind of villain: Luke, the ''sinister deaf kid.'' At press time four teams remained, but only three will dash through Maui for a million bucks. (I hope the cheerleaders remain: When Jaime screams at her 50th cabbie, I win an ice cream!) Hard-charging Luke and his mom, Margie, will likely emerge victorious, sending an important, uplifting message: Just because you're deaf doesn't mean you can't also be a sneaky b******. ?Josh Wolk"

23. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    8-10PM
    CBS

Season Premiere
    The Amazing Race 15

"I'm rooting for the pair of Harlem Globetrotters. Frankly, I'm rooting for any team that doesn't verbally abuse each other or ramble on and on about how age doesn't matter."

24. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    New episode tonight.

25. LetoQuorme

LetoQuorme Mos Alba FF Chapter Rep star 4

Nov 11, 2001
    I love the obscure Friends reference in the title of tonight's episode.