main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Spider-Man & SSU Films (Madame Web, Venom 3, Kraven, Beyond the Spider-Verse)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, May 20, 2008.

1. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004

2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I wouldn't mind seeing the Lizard, but it's really a mindless creature that won't really challenge Spidey internally, anymore than the Green Goblin or Dr. Oct; characters that were Peter's friend/mentor that turned bad. We've seen it. I would like to see Spidey hunted and tormented, something that Venom should have done in the last film, but was never realized. So, I'd like to see some one like Kraven. A villain that Spidey will fear and have nightmares about. An antoganist that the audience will love to hate or just plain love. (I've this many times referring to the Star Wars prequels) It's the villains that make hero. The more menacing and dastardly the bad dude, the better the drama and hero.

As Wilt Chamberlain put it, "Nobody cheers for Goliath."

3. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008

Interesting on a few points.
    - They are already looking to 5&6 when 4 is still in the incredibly early stages of production.
    - There is a difference of opinion on the script between Raimi and the Studio and despite the studio liking Vanderbilt's ideas they have agreed to let two more writers take a crack at the script. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. We'll see.
    - Most interesting is that they are setting up 5 & 6 to serve as a reboot in the event that Raimi & Co don't return.

4. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Or Spidey 4 fails. I can see Sony trying to milk as much out of the franchise as they can, similarly to Fox and the X-Men. So if it means going with a new team, they'll do it.

5. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Its one of the two biggest franchises they have right now...of course they will milk it.

6. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Spider-man 4 is not going to fail. Spider-man 3 took in well over $300,000,000 at the box office in the U.S. alone.

7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I think directors/writers learned from their mistakes. I very much doubt there will be another Parker cutting the rug sequences in the upcoming movie. Additionally, I think they'll stick to a core group of characters instead of have various character bounce in and out of the movie.

8. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Monetary failure is different that failure in the eyes of the fans though. Crappy movies can make lots of money i.e. Twilight.

Sony need to make Spidey 4 good because Spidey 3 was not up to par with the rest of the films. I won't say it was downright bad, but it certainly was disappointing in my eyes.

9. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    it was downright awful.

10. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

The dancing scenes with Tobey were painful to watch in Spiderman 3.

11. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    But which one will the studio care about? It could be the worst film ever made but if it pulls in $300 mil there's no way Sony won't be happy.

12. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Normally I would agree but given that the studio has "said" they are giving Raimi full creative control again and have "agreed" to not interfere I would hazard a guess that they at least hear the fans. Now whether they are just saying this to appease us and legitimately want are trying to give Raimi control is yet to be seen and will likely only be judged via the final product but at the very least I think to Studio is at least aware that people are not happy with the results of Spider-Man 3, so its not completely about the bottom line.

13. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

I think Tobey Maguire is already way too old to play Spidey.

14. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000
    I hope you're right. Another one like Spiderman III and the franchise will have to be put out to pasture.

15. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    It wasn't as good as the first two, but Spider-man 3 wasn't that bad of a movie. It was better than Batman Begins. There are far worst superhero movies out there.

16. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Umm.....riiiight.

[image=http://ui25.gamespot.com/2136/peterparkerdance_2.gif]

17. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    I didn't mind the dancing peter. I was more distracted with how much they were trying to cram into the film, in terms of the number of villains, the number of characters, the number of relationships going on. It was nuts. And there were several moments of painful dialogue. I can't get any more specific, all I know is when I think back to Spidey 3 in my mind, there is an infinite well of sadness and pain.

18. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    There certainly are worse superhero movies but I don't think Batman Begins is one of them. Personally I can't understand how one can even make that claim.

Dancing Peter was taking a concept too far to the point where it becomes a completely out of character moment. I can deal with the campy humour Raimi loves to pepper throughout the films. The Rain Drops sequence in SM2 is still a personal favorite of mine and always makes me laugh. But the emo Parker and his disco dancing attitude entirely misses the point of personality changes brought on by the symbiont. Its not his Red K where it removes his inhibitions and he becomes a lustful teenaged jerk...that's Smallville. Its supposed to make him aggressive, self centered and very dangerous, not a horn dog in a slick suit. I can see where they are going but IMO the failing was in misunderstanding the changes Parker goes through. The best examples would be the black suit sagas in either Spider-Man The Animated Series (Fox Kids mid-1990s version) or Spectacular Spider-Man.

At least that's my $0.02.

19. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Ooooh Black Cat you say?!

20. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  21. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    The Spiderman films kinda lost me after the Vemon fiasco, which by all rights should have badass instead of what ended up on film.

22. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Kudos for the name change.

The inclusion of the Black Cat is promising though I am wondering if this is Raimi's work or not. He seems to have a penchant for characters of the Stan Lee/Steve Ditko/John Romita Sr era, of which Black Cat is not. I am also concerned about this blurb:

I don't know the validity of the outline or if its what we will see in the final film, but the departure of the characters back story has me scratching my head. I mean I will wait for the final movie, but given how much Raimi and co have missed the mark with some key characterizations in the past this doesn't bode well IMO. Still it will be interesting to see the Black Cat on the silver screen.

I am curious about this viper comment as well. I get the feeling that its more of a nod than anything and far less literal than they are taking it, but the only Snake-like villain I can think of is Basilisk and he doesn't seem worth adapting. I would guess that its meant far more figuratively than even hinting at a character shtick and has more to do with a personality trait.

23. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Apparently she is the daughter of the new editor of The Daily Bugle,[face_plain]

If J.K Simons is not in this film, I will not watch it. You can not have spider-man without JJJ. And JK Simons IS Jonah.

24. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Rich Johnston is speculating "The Viper" might simply be "The Vulture", misheard.

25. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008

Jonah's Publisher and there are usually several editors at a Major Newspaper, Robbie is one for instance. Last I heard Simmons wants to return so long as Raimi is part of the production.

That would make some sense since Raimi wanted to use him for Spider-Man 3.