main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Spider-Man & SSU Films (Madame Web, Venom 3, Kraven, Beyond the Spider-Verse)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, May 20, 2008.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The Big Wheel!

soitscometothis likes this.
  2. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    only if Rocket Racer is in it [face_laugh]

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    How did Vulture kill Spider-Man 4?

It was Spider-Man 3 and the director and main actors not coming back that did that.

And what about TV that would stop the Kingpin from appearing?

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  4. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Wasn't Malkovich going to be Vulture at one point?

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yes, the character was not the problem. Sony and Marvel wanting flashbacks to Peter Parker in high school is what killed it.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  6. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

Yes. And supposedly Sony was not all that excited at the prospect of Vulture as the main villain.

7. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    But Marvel has creative control now, so whether Raimi's wanting to do the Vulture "killed the film" or not, it's no longer up to Sony to decide.

8. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I certainly hope so.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Spider-Slayers. Could tie it into MCU tech-based baddies for a villain that could be visually interesting and provide boom however not overpower the narrative of the introductory film which, as established, is a high school drama. Bring out the big guns for the 2nd flick.

Yes, there should be Osborns and Goblins and so forth - it's a core part of Spidey's baddie roster and you can't just not do it - but hold back until the third flick for that business. But that should be a thing, eventually.

I honesty I want to see Norman introduced early on and spin him off into an adaptation of Ellis' "Thunderbolts" run for Phase 4 but that's a little far seeing. And Kingpin from Daredevil could be the easiest TV baddie to be a Spidey antagonist and not really muck with their separate movies / shows.

10. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I think Hobgoblin deserves a turn in the spotlight, actually. He was pretty cool in the cartoon. The way he played all the criminal organisations against each other and upset the order was fun to watch. He turned out to be kind of pathetic, but then again all villains are in their own way. He was a smug jerk, which makes for a very entertaining kind of villain on screen, if done right.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

That's actually where I was thinking. If Feige isn't willing to use Kingpin, use Osborn as the man behind the scenes and have Hobgoblin as the big bad. But I think after 2 goblins in so many years, that we're likely looking at Mysterio or Kraven.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    the Hobgoblin (the original ) is my favorite Spidey villain, but i don't know how you do him before Norman properly.

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I imagine people are burnt out by the Goblin.

Ghost likes this.
  14. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    yeah i was hoping when ASM came out in 2012 they'd wait until at least the 3rd one, but they rushed a goblin the last 20 minutes of 2. As great as the goblin's are, they aren't they be all end all of the Spidey-verse.

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The Goblins are just the villains most personally connected to Spider-Man, with Norman killing Gwen and Harry being his best friend.

The only other villains with a personal connection to Spider-Man are the Lizard, the Jackal, and of course the Burglar. Perhaps Venom simply because the symbiote tells Brock all of Peter's personal information.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    The Hobgoblin hasn't had contact with the performance enhancing (crazy) gas in the comics, has he? Because that's why I would prefer him. I'm tired of the crazy gas. In the 90s cartoon, he was the precursor to the Green Goblin. When Norman is affected by the gas, he takes the Hobgoblin's gear.

Ghost likes this.
  17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

That and Eddie blaming Peter for making him look bad with the Sin Eater being revealed as Stan Carter and not Emil Gregg.

That was that cartoon. In the comics it was different. Roderick Kingsley was the first Hobgoblin and he didn't find the Goblin formula until after he had been the Hobgoblin for a while. When he learned the Goblin formula causes insanity, he had a criminal that was in his employ named Lefty Donovan test it out and he became insane. Then Roderick used Dr. Jonas Harrow's mind control machine to use Donovan as the Hobgoblin and set him up to die, in order to give himself time to figure out how to perfect the formula so it wouldn't cause insanity. Once that was done, he was able to use it against Peter effectively. When Jason Philip Macendale took over, he attempted to get the formula from Harry, but Harry and Peter wound up fighting him and preventing him from getting it. Macendale then made a deal with the demon N'astirh who turned Macendale into a demon. Eventually the demon separated from Macendale and became the Demogoblin, while Macendale continued in his old self until he met the Grim Hunter, Kraven's son Vladimir, who gave him access to the Kravinoff strength enhancing formula which he used to take on both the Demogoblin and Spider-Man. As well as Kaine and the Scarlet Spider. But then he had cybernetic implants added by Gaunt under the direction of Norman Osborne during "Blood Brothers", but he still wasn't able to gain a true victory. Then Roderick decided to kill him before he could testify about how he became the Hobgoblin during "Hobgoblin Lives" and came out of retirement.

BigAl6ft6 and JEDI-RISING like this.
  18. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
  19. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    what he said
    funny thing the whole notion that Osborn had super strength didn't start until Hobgoblin. in the old comics Spidey knocked him flat whenever he got his hands on him. the 'goblin formula' was mostly just a concoction that exploded in his face and made him crazy.

Ghost and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Hell the Golbin formula freakin' brought Norman back from the dead after decades just because they needed an ending to "Clone Saga". But I thought it worked.

21. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    yeah they had to come up with someone big enough to end that awful thing , but that's when it completely jumped the shark for me

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

That's because in 1987, there was a plan to kill off the Hobgoblin to end that storyline. Hence Kingsley retired and framed Ned Leeds, while Macendale took over. When the Hobgoblin's co-creator was tapped to bring back the original and reveal his identity, he was told that Macendale could be killed off.

Actually, it was supposed to be Harry who was brought back. But it was decided by Bob Harras to make it Norman.

23. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    yeah i read a looooong article about it a few years ago.

all this started when they killed Gwen....then they had to kill Osborn. Then they brought her back cause the fans were unhappy, then the fans rightly said no you can't just bring her back so she was a clone and just sent her away in a taxi. Then for a while she wasn't a clone

and they just couldn't leave it there. on and on and on.

the only decent thing that happened in the 90's imo was Roger Stern came back and did a real end to the real Hobgoblin. why they would have killed him off and replace him with a fool character i'll never understand.

24. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    What about Doc Ock? He almost married Aunt May!
    [​IMG]

25. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    Doctor Octopus probably fought Spidey more than anyone.