main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Spider-Man & SSU Films (Madame Web, Venom 3, Kraven, Beyond the Spider-Verse)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, May 20, 2008.

1. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    But Kraven comes along later in Spidey's career; he wants him as a trophy because he's a famous super-hero. Introducing Kraven at this early stage would remove that key aspect of his purpose as a villain.

And a lot can happen to Fisk in prison or afterwards. He gets bigger, more muscled, learns martial arts, etc. And/or he can employ others with actual powers as his henches.

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    A movie where the villain learns karate in prison would be pretty much the worst thing conceivable.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  3. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    You're right, no one has ever learned to fight in prison.

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What would be the point? Spiderman has superhuman strength and reflexes. He can throw cars. How is some idiot that knows the swan kick going to mean anything?

5. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    I'm suggesting that the Fisk of the TV series can become more like the Fisk of the comics, IE not super-powered but still capable of taking (and dishing out) severe punishment. You don't like it, awesome, that's another point in my favor.

6. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    wait, later in his career? his first apperance was ASM 15

7. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Yeah, I remember reading Kraven early on as a kid too. I don't think that his goal was to hunt a renowned superhero, but to hunt this person/thing swinging around New York city all of a sudden. But it's been a long time, so I might be wrong.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I really do want to see Kingpin (played by D'Onoffrio, he's just amazing as Fisk) go up against Spidey at some point as a mob boss who is sending superpowered goons after Spidey. However, the point Kingpin is at the end of S1 of Daredevil doesn't really lend it to that... yet. Post Season 2, hell post Defenders when more wacky outlandish stuff will probably come into play into Fisk's work, he could definitely work. But the character as presented on Daredevil isn't there yet.

If they want a mob boss, you can always use Hammerhead. And then you can get Kingpin v Hamerhead: Dawn of Spidey as a later movie where there's a superpowered gang war and THEN Spidey has to get into it. And Daredevil.

Basically, the biggest aspect of the MCU I think that would fit naturally into Spidey's world are all in Daredevil - Matt, Fisk & Punisher (Punisher, like Kingpin, also started out as a Spidey baddie). There's the Avengers and Stark too which is a part of Spidey's life but the Daredevil characters are actually way more integral. The larger problem, of course, is getting the MCU film guys to play nice with the MCU TV guys (scuttlebutt is the movie guys kinda are annoyed with the TV guys piggybacking off of their work) But it is a Sony production and Sony wouldn't really care, they just want access to the MCU toolbox - TV or movies.

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yes, there are those who don't have ties to Peter in the comics. At least, last I read. Only the Green Goblins, Venom, the Jackal, Kaine, the second Carrion and Mister Negative have had any sort of connection to Peter Parker. Most had never encountered Peter prior to his becoming Spider-Man.

The Chameleon hired him to go after Spider-Man because of what happened in their first encounter, way back in Amazing #1. Kraven kept at it because he became obsessed with beating Peter. Later stories revealed that Kraven had a history of insanity in his family and saw spiders as something that he feared that he must ultimately conquer. He was also hired by the Chameleon because they were half brothers and so he had good reason to believe that he would get the job done.

10. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Okay, but that's two years into Spidey's career (going by the publication dates of Amazing Fantasy #15 and Amazing Spidey #15), and was predicated by Spidey's defeat of the Chameleon, Kraven's half-brother, who enlisted Kraven against Webhead. By that point Spider-Man was publicly well-known, whereas in the upcoming Cap 3, Spider-Man will reportedly be in the early stages of his career.

11. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    i dont know , not to quibble but that was still early in his career. i'm not sure #15 was two years in. he was 15 or 16 when he got the powers and didn't graduate until another 13 issues later. plus in the new movie although it's early in his career he's supposed to already be established as Spider-Man
    at any rate i understand what you mean. Kraven hunts Spider-Man because he's become famous and skilled.
    so many good villains...if only they knew how to do it.

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yeah, it wasn't real time precisely. There's supposed to be a few months between when Uncle Ben dies to when Peter first goes to the Baxter Building. I think Peter was supposed to be a sophomore when he gained his powers and a junior during the first part of Amazing Spider-Man. Peter graduates in Amazing #28. So I would wager that issues #1 through #15 comprise one school year and then #16 through #28, along with the first annual, would comprise his senior year. Not to mention the events of Amazing Fantasy #16-18 and the entire run of Untold Tales Of Spider-Man. The former taking place during the gap between Ben's funeral and when Peter meets the FF. While the latter took place between key issues of the Lee/Ditko run, when Peter was still in high school.

Either way, it doesn't really matter how far in Peter's career Marvel and Sony will go for the films. They've never followed the precise timeline of the comics.

13. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    there's so many villains in Spidey's rogues' gallery you could really almost throw some of them in there quickly. like a Bond film. Open with him capturing Shocker or somebody. Each one doesn't necessarily need a whole movie made around him. Plus you can show the Kingpin lurking, directing thing's without the whole movie being about him. If they devote themselves to a long running series they can set thing's up and just build characters slowly without rushing thing's.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    you see? Just make the Emma Stone starring Spider-Gwen movie, darnit! MCU continuity with Spidey is awesome and all but I think we could easily wrap our heads around "Okay, alternate reality. Gwen is Spidey. Got it." (of course, that would also probably lock Emma into playing Gwen again in the MCU, which she's too old now for teenage spidey high school or, to hell with it, full on alt universe MCU Gwen is some actress, Emma is the Spider-Gwen one.)

(choice usage of remixed Easy A voiceover too! And Birdman is The Vulture! Well, maybe not that so much but funny usage of Birdman clips)

15. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    They were supposed to use Vulture for Spider-Man 4. That never happened. I'm not sure how he could be used as a stand lone villain for a film. To me he is a supporting character like Electro or Sandman would be.

Crazy, elderly mad scientist creates vulture suit, flies around New York, and has a great adventure. Unless he is working for someone else like the King Pin or Oscorp, it doesn't make much sense to have him by himself.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    yeah but the thing is Peter's personal life was always at least half the story, or more.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Are they not going to announce any news about the new movie until after Civil War comes out?

18. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Let me consult my magic 8-ball....

Yes.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    After seeing the Civil War trailer, I'm gonna hazard a guess that Civil War will certainly not feature Spidey unmasking to the public or anything. In fact, I'd wager that Spidey is Iron Man's third act secret weapon to unleash some holy whup-ass on Team Cap (or at least Bucky). I still think they'll use a bit of the Iron Man / Spider-Man mentor/protege dynamic that was happening in the books around the time of Civil War.

But it's a Captain America movie with Iron Man in it. Spidey will probably pop up maybe as much as, say, Zola was in "First Avenger". I'm not expecting a lot but I'm definitely expecting to see Spidey in action to sell him (again) to the wide Marvel movie audiences.

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I wonder if it's possible that the Civil War only BEGINS in that movie, and is continued/concluded in the new Spider-Man movie...

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Probably not, considering Infinity War will likely be filmed/take place before the next Spider-Man movie.

22. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Doesn't the Spider-Man film come out first?

Ghost likes this.
  23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Civil War
    Dr. Strange
    GOTG 2
    Spider-Man in July 2017
    Thor: Ragnarok
    Black Panther
    Infinity War 1 in May 2018

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I doubt Civil War will continue throughout Phase 3 because this is the trilogy capper for Cap (mostly, probably) and generally these movies can (sorta) work on their own as individual sets. There will definitely be Civil War fallout throughout Phase 3, though, probably culminating in the Civil War-broken Avengers getting Thwomped by Thanos, leading to everyone getting along for Infinity War Part II.

But I'm just guessing here, if Marvel can wrangle Downey to pop in in the Spider-Man movie as Spidey's mentor - in USM Spidey was basically mentored by Nick Fury - that could be a very direct (and profitable!) way to keep Spidey in the MCU.

On the flip flop, does anyone really think Captain America is going to lose in his own movie? I kinda doubt it. Be a bummer of a way to end the Cap trilogy it so maybe Iron Man will be sidelined for most of Phase 3, leading to him coming back in Infinity War II.

As for where Spidey is in all of this, maybe Spidey gets his Avengers card in his own movie (once again, Civil War seems real busy to devote too much time to Spidey), thereby leading to him being a part of the roster for Avengers Infinity War Part 1.

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Given how the comic story ended for the character, the presence of two Cap successors in the film and how I'm pretty sure I saw a bullet being fired in the Marvel logo flip images... it's possible.