main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Spider-Man & SSU Films (Madame Web, Venom 3, Kraven, Beyond the Spider-Verse)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, May 20, 2008.

1. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    Why wouldn't he just call her on his cell phone and say "haha, doorman won't let me up, come on down"

2. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Better question, why ask the question "Is she tutoring you?" after someone explicitly says "I'm having dinner with the Stacy's."

3. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    Clearly they wanted to pay homage to those stupid Bruce Campbell Scenes in Spider-man 2 and 3.

No, I don't care that you think Bruce Campbell is awesome, those scenes were terrible.

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Awful. Not Peter Parker in the slightest.

5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    As long as he's not Tobey Maguire, I'm happy.

6. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    What's with all the Toby Maguire vitriol? Not getting it. At least I don't get disliking someone enough that literally anyone seems better to you.

7. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    [image=http://markreadmusic.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/emo_peter_parker_dance11.gif]

Yup, the new Peter Parker is better.

8. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    Toby is just whiny and unlikeable in general.

9. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I was exaggerating.

I thought he was terrible, though, and I'm much happier with what I've seen of Garfield so far. It helps that Garfield can smile without shattering glass.

10. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Riiiiiiiight, never mind the fact that the movie is mocking Peter's notion of "cool."

11. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Would have been funny if the doorman were Bruce Campbell.

12. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Would've been funny if it were competently scripted.

13. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    It's nothing new. When the first pics of new Parker were released, a good many people were like,"Booo, Maguire is already better for not having Twilight hair." Now they see new Parker in action, and it's like"Boooo, Maguire sucks."

Now if the movie sucks, it'll be "Booo, dude was crap compared to Toby."

It has always been this way, and it will always be this way.

14. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    The first lines of dialog from SM1 were straight out of Pleasantville, with almost the exact same inflection.
    It isn't that Toby is a bad actor, but I don't think he was the right one. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the only characters cast properly were JJJ and Aunt May.

Bruce Campbell is awesome, and those scenes are bloody awful.

15. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    So the complaint with Toby Maguire is that he sounded like Toby Maguire? I mean, I know this stuff is subjective and I'm not going to begrudge you your tastes, but isn't that a touch picky? And you really prefer Garfield's mock-New Yorker-wannabe-tough guy tone? Even though it doesn't really sound anything like Peter Parker?

Another question, what's a Queen's resident doing going to school with a girl who lives on Central Park West? [/nitpicking]

16. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    My complaint with Maguire's acting was that the character he was playing wasn't much like Peter Parker, and holy @#$% he wasn't Spider-Man at all. It was an alternate interpretation of the character, and not one I liked.

17. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Regardless, it illustrates that their idea of a darker Peter Parker was flawed. As flawed as the regular Peter Parker. And not in a good way.

18. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    ESU

19. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I won't try to defend the "dark" Peter Parker they used in the third installment of the Raimi series. But I don't see how anyone with that complaint can be happy at the decision to make the new Parker even more moody, brooding, and conflicted. It's a terrible move, and one that I think will come back to bite them.

Maguire, on the other hand, was an ideal Spiderman for two whole films. In fact, I would go so far as to say he was an ideal Marvel superhero. He was earnest, responsible but felt put upon, perennially happy but touched by grief, dutiful and courageous. He was true to the spirit of the original character, and a great success. I don't see where all the criticism comes from.

20. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    But he wasn't a smart-ass. Peter Parker may be all of those things, but he's also quick to come up with a witty joke to mock the people he's fighting, giving him a devil-may-care attitude that set him apart that.

He may have all the things you listed above, but without the thing I just wrote, he's boring.

21. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I've never seen that as particularly realistic or appealing, though. It doesn't make sense that Spiderman should become a completely different person when he puts on his costume. Especially when one of the major themes of the series otherwise is the degree to which being a superhero doesn't magically solve all his other problems in life. I think it every bit as ridiculous as Bruce Wayne's transient bouts of tuberculosis while wearing his suit in Nolan's Batman.

That besides, how exactly would you work it in? The impressive part of Spiderman II came from the way Parker and Octavius appealed to one another's humanity, not how they left it behind. That relationship certainly could not have worked with the same earnestness and trust if it had featured long segments of the two playing the dozens on one another.

22. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    wocky from what material do you draw your assessment of the character from? Because I am having trouble believing you have ever read a Spider-Man comic in your life.

EDIT: You are arguing about the accuracy of the two distinctly different portrayals of a character but completely dismissing a defining characteristic of Spider-Man because it doesn't suit your interpretation of the character.

23. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Right, I know that's where the deal is in the comics, but in this movie they're high school classmates (I may have misremembered the one page of wrestling from the 60s, but I'm not actually that generally unknowledable).

Also, I still don't get why him being less of a "smart ass" is a deal breaker. I've never thought that would play on film. It works on the comics page, but hearing someone make a wisecrack every other action beat is going to play like parody in a film.

24. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    My answer to you is what Recession Spending just said.

It's not so much about what I like and dislike about the character. It's about what's workable on film. If you're going to adhere so slavishly to everything, without any regard for what does and does not work, there is really no point in having changed media. You also stand a good chance of making a stupid movie, as the Frank Miller "look at how I precisely recreated this comic book panel as a shot onscreen" experience demonstrates.

25. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    If you don't think the real Spider-Man can work on film, then I understand the attraction of Maguire.