main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Spider-Man & SSU Films (Madame Web, Venom 3, Kraven, Beyond the Spider-Verse)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, May 20, 2008.

1. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I agree. TAS was easily my second favorite superhero movie of the summer.

2. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I can't wait for ASM2, I loved ASM, Spider-Man 2 is really good. Don't care for 1 & 3 much.

3. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
  4. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Certainly an interesting decision. I'm wondering what the character would play like. Electro himself doesn't inspire high hopes as a stand-alone villain, but if they change him around enough, who knows?

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I dunno, an African American comic book character with electrical powers? Seems like a bold, unprecedented step.

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Boy, I don't remember Electro at all.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You might remember his more common depiction, versus whatever that was in that video clip:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  8. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Behold the mighty Electric Starfish Anus, whose only weakness is any door with less than 7' clearance.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  9. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Sigh...that video makes me miss Josh Keaton voicing Spectacular Spider-Man. :(

10. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    While the starfish mask is "classic" I think I prefer the Ultimate/Shattered Dimensions version where he's made of pure electricity. An electric Human Torch if you will.
    His current (pun intended!) tattooed face look as opposed to the mask is also preferable.
    [​IMG]

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm all for updating the look of the classic spidey villains- most of them are pretty goofy looking.

That said, I wouldn't want an electric Human Torch approach- seems too out there for Spidey's universe. Fits better if the electric powers are technological or act like a mutant power as opposed to a complete physical transformation.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I always preferred Shocker myself.

13. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    That costume. That gods damned costume. Talk about an absolute eyesore. Yeah, Human Lightningbolt form notwithstanding, the look of Ultimate Electro is a vast improvement.

14. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Then there was the time they turned him into an anthropomorphized electric eel....

[​IMG]

SHENANIGANS!

15. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    If you want to talk about ridiculous costumes then sure. Shocker's Quilt-Man outfit is definitely up there.
    [​IMG]

16. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008

"Bring in the Gimp!"

[​IMG]

17. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I have no issue with the costumes being altered, but I knew of Shocker long before Electro & he seems like a better choice of character.

Plus he would fit the bill for 2ndQuest who said he thought the villain should have technology-based abilities rather than super-powers. Shocker has the big gauntlet things rather than an actual power. That way he can be some regular smart-guy with a beef against Spider-Man who like Peter Parker creates a device to use against others (in this case shock gauntlets instead of web-shooters).

18. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    While Electro's power is mostly biological, he did for a time require technology to control his ability and created his own tech to help.

He would connect better to the epilogue of the first film where the character seems to appear and disappear with lightening (in some incarnations he can become a being of energy and travel through electrical systems).

He is also a more formidable foe as his powerset has the potential to rival even Magneto in terms of raw power can't be dispatched by simply destroying his gauntlets. Add in the extensive powergrid of New York City and he has limitless potential.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Shocker always looked like he was wearing risque 1920's stockings all over his body.

Fra-geel-eh!

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  20. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Personally, I'm more partial to this incarnation:

[​IMG]

21. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    If I wanted to ground it, I'd make it so that his power is purely being able to channel electricity from a source to someplace else. Like he could create electrical tension between two objects/locations, so basically, the principle of lightning in miniature fashion. Or alternatively, if I wanted to ground it even more, that he has the same physiological capability of an eel, and like an eel, he would have to rely on a closed circuit for his power to work. Electricity is electrons moving through a conducting material. If the circuit is not closed, the electrons have nowhere to go and can't move. To give his power some oomph, I'd explain it away by his body being able to store massive amounts of energy from the power grid like a battery. However, it'd be hilarious if he had a super high metabolism and was constantly drinking grape juice or something to replenish calories. [face_laugh]

On the show Alphas, they explained this super fast dude like that. His metabolism and cell exchange rate was super high, to the point where he constantly needed to eat, and he was aging multiple times the rate of a normal human being, because his body's cellular reproduction would deteriorate faster than a normal human.

What I totally expect, though, is that he'll just shoot electricity out from his hands like Palpatine.

22. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Vulture. Why is he not in the films?

[​IMG]

EDIT: And I'm watching it now. 1hr in. This is so much better than the Sam Raimi film.

23. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I think the Raimi film did a better job of handling the Uncle Ben and Aunt May scenes, and did a superior job of emphasizing "with great power comes great responsibility."

To me, that's what makes Spider-Man worthwhile. TAS didn't deliver that message with as much conviction, and for that reason (among others), I thought it was unsatisfactory.

Also, I dig the tragic hero approach of the Raimi films.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  24. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    See this is exactly why I thought ASM was better than the Raimi films. The central message about power and responsibility and Spidey's status as a tragic figure were still strong and core aspects of the story, they were just more subtly implemented. Raimi's approach was to obnoxiously beat you over the head with the message, by quite literally having the characters say the central message so much that its become a running a joke...

In light of that I am grateful that Webb showed more restraint and managed to still make it integral to the story without overwhelming the audience with the obvious.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It would have been nice for the actual phrase to have been spoken at least once, though. They come close enough to it once or twice that it wouldn't have hurt anything.

Because he looks like that. The only way people could laugh at him more is if he were pink.