main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Spider-Man & SSU Films (Madame Web, Venom 3, Kraven, Beyond the Spider-Verse)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, May 20, 2008.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Not sure if it would be the same 6 as in the comics, would Scorpion or Vulture really work in a movie? Would Mysterio even work?

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Could work, if done right

3. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Maybe, but some might need a redesign like Electro is getting.
    I never much rated Sandman, he looked good in SM3 but in the great spectrum of Spidey villains he seems pretty meh to me

With all the rumours of Venom appearing and maybe Black Cat or Menace maybe a new line-up will happen. Plenty of baddies to use though.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Vulture would need a major redesign to not look ridiculous. Scorpion could work pretty much as-is as a mech suit/exoskeleton (though if they consider redoing Doc Ock, there would probably be redundancy there). Mysterio could certainly work- though i'd imagine they'd work in some kind of effect into his dome to make it more "projector"-like.

Ghost likes this.
  5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Vulture should be fine... and Scorpion is no more ridiculous than Spider-Man or Doc Ock... they'd just need to do a redesign of Mysterio (maybe have him only appear as a hologram/robot, and just be a "man behind the curtain" type.

Vulture:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    If you can buy Batman's glider wings, then you can buy the Vulture.

7. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I agree with Dan Slott here. Mysterio's "power" is generating special effects: he was built for the big screen.

8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    True. The majority of what's used in films are stuff that anyone with a background in visual effects can come utilize to its fullest effect.

9. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    [​IMG]

Concept art of Anthony Mackie as the Falcon in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, the Vulture, like the Falcon, would need a complete visual overhaul of the concept to work. Those animated Vulture pics above might work, but I doubt they'd go with as 90's a design. It'd still be a massive improvement over the laughable, classic old-man-in-pajamas-with-frilly-white-feather-70's-Elton-John-class-neck-boa.

Ghost likes this.
  11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Fortunately, his costume changed since he went back to the original costume in 1997.

[​IMG]

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  12. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    As long as it's old Toomes and not Blackie Drago or (even worse) Jimmy Natale, I can deal with any redesigns.

13. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Natale was used perfectly in Rucka's Punisher. He gave Frank a reason to wear an eye patch and then died.

JoinTheSchwarz and Ramza like this.
  14. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I miss eyepatch-and-beard Punisher so much...

Darth-Lando likes this.
  15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It wouldn't be quite so painful if we hadn't had to exchange Big Boss Frank for... Thunderbolts... [face_sigh]

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  17. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I'd be OK with Vulture, he could be done well with the right writers. And given how ridiculous Foxx looks as Electro (maybe less so than the traditional comics version, but still) I don't think worrying how Vulture looks will be a big problem.

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The comics version could be done without the mask, as shown in the late 90's era. But it's the colors that hurt it.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm a little iffy on how successful this film will be since ASM 1 underperformed. Maybe the positive hype will make it succeed?

20. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Hopefully, Spider-Man is a great & popular character so one expects he should do well.

On the other hand however, if the franchise does continue to not do that well maybe Sony would be willing to let Disney have it back. Seems unlikely though, even 700 or $800million would be seen as good money for Sony if they really need it. It's not Avengers money sure, but it's hardly bad.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    We should all not go see it when it comes out!

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, apparently there are two rumored titles being floated about: "The Amazing Spider-Man: The Price of Power" and "The Amazing Spider-Man: With Great Power…"

The sub-title approach will certainly distinguish it from the previous run, though a part of me kinda hoped they go with "Spectacular Spider-Man" or "Superior Spider-Man", etc etc, though I guess they'd run out of Spidey names at that rate...

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Why not "Amazing Spider-Man 2"?

24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I don't really care much for either of those sub-titles, but I'd prefer one over just adding a number every time.

Thor: The Dark World & Captain America: The Winter Soldier are good titles.

25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Okay, but why isn't he in the right state of mind? Becoming Spiderman didn't affect Peter's ability to reason. Are we given any particular reason this would be the case? Or rather, did they ever even say that doing genetic recombination would trigger something like this?

Earlier, he talked about a voluntary medical treatment for people with disabilities. Later, he was talking about a forced program for people who were "inferior." The intentions don't fit, as modifying people to make them superhuman is conceptually very different than fixing long term injuries that impair the way their normal body is supposed to work. The methods don't fit. The whole philosophy doesn't fit, because he certainly never believed or suggested that people with disabilities were inferior to those without.

You realize that's the point? Octavius's goals, besides being selfish and warped, are ultimately completely petty. So are the things Peter wants in shirking his duty as Spiderman. The two characters' journeys are intentionally designed to mirror one another, and contrast with the broader life of responsibility and meaning that Uncle Ben argues for.This sort of consistency is part of why I described the film as "tightly written." They consciously selected elements to reinforce the message they want to send. Which stands in stark contrast to the remake, where Peter casually blows off the wishes of a dying man, because Uncle Ben's words are more a Hallmark card than something worth actually exploring the meaning and consequences of.

Somewhat immaterial, but I don't see how this is substantively different at all.

The movie actually comes out somewhere in-between. The larger reaction became self-sustaining, which is why Peter couldn't stop it by cutting the power. So in that sense, Octavius was correct. However, he was incorrect about it stabilizing. But I guess I don't see your problem here. An inventor is not allowed to be wrong about an experimental technology that has been tried a grand total of one other time in all of human history, by him?

These are all ideas about a fictional technology? Could they have said it worked in these other ways? Sure. But did it? No. And what's the difference? As above, would it be any less chance for a control microchip to short circuit on his hip, imbedded in the larger spinal hookup, on the back of his neck, or on the table across the room? The same thing is happening.

It wouldn't. At all. Conversion disorder. This is really beside the point, so I don't want to dwell on it. But I just want to point out it's not really so far-fetched as you make it seem.

The movie does this. He never suggests he is right to stop because he doesn't have powers. It's all about him rejecting Uncle Ben's philosophy. They have a part of the film where he is literally rejecting Uncle Ben, and refusing the credo. They couldn't have been any more direct about it without breaking the fourth wall to have the actors and director confirm Peter's character motivations. Let alone the other ways they shove it in your face, like the uncomfortable scene where Peter turns away from a brutal mugging just behind him, even though the assailant was unarmed and any average citizen could've stepped in to help effectively.

You are mad about an excuse the movie never makes.