main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Spider-Man & SSU Films (Madame Web, Venom 3, Kraven, Beyond the Spider-Verse)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, May 20, 2008.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The next trailer-teasing villain poster:

[​IMG]

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    That somewhat misses the point. Conceptually, Carnage is a serial killer of unrivaled depravity. His acts are supposed to shock the conscience and disturb those exposed to them. However, in the years since the character was created, we've seen a whole genre of torture stories spring up: Dexter, Saw, Hostel, Hannibal, etc. To seem credible and true to the idea of the character, Hannibal would have to do things on this order. Otherwise, the character's reactions to him may well seem overblown, since it will certainly not be the worst thing audiences have ever seen. The last Batman film ran into a similar problem, when they tried to describe how incomparably horrible and inhumane a prison with color cable television and free-roaming doctors was in the wake of a world that had saw the abuses at Abu Ghraib. It just made the movie universe look stupid.

That besides, even trying to live up to this sort of thing implies huge tonal differences from the basically family-friendly style of action movies that most superhero films are built as.

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    3 Days to May 1st? Am I missing something?

Darkslayer likes this.
  4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    ^Yet another trailer is coming.

5. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I've just stopped watching the trailer. You guys know that's an option, right? Just don't watch what they put out?

6. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    They are putting out advertisements for future advertisements?

. . .

Well, that's about the level of stupidity this franchise has taught me to expect, I guess.

Ghost and EHT like this.
  7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Isn't that what a teaser is?

8. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Not as I understand it. A teaser is it itself an advertisement for an actual product. Its purpose is not to alert you to the existence of an upcoming advertisement.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A teaser is usually an advanced trailer aimed at general audiences and intended for theatrical distribution.

The "teaser trailer for a trailer" trend from the past 3-4 years (the 10-30 sec videos hyping up the release of a new trailer) doesn't have an official description but are most commonly nicknamed "tweasers" (or tweezers) from what I've seen.

They're usually just internet-only content aimed at movie fans.

At least here it's just poster art or multimedia animations instead of an actual trailer snippet, which hasn't been too uncommon for well over a decade.

I personally don't think they're necessary (meaning the video ones), even though I consider trailers a standalone piece of entertainment worthy of the hype they often receive (especially as the enjoyment of a trailer can far outlast that of the actual film it's formed from), I'd rather keep the experience of first viewing a trailer as fresh as possible and don't need clips from it turned into anticipated expectations ("well that shot hasn't happened yet do it must be coming...").

And, of course, that notion can be expanded out to the films themselves if one makes too many trailers- territory ASM2 long passed by.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    If I recall, that only happened once or twice in "Savage Genesis" and when it was done in the comics, it was darkened to black.

Carnage's acts were never that shocking and disturbing to the reader. The only one who was ever upset was Peter Parker, the fictional character, and that's because he's got a weak stomach when it comes to violence. When Ben Riley saw his acts, he wasn't as phased as Peter and even Batman was unaffected in "Disorderly Minds". The Joker even dismissed him as uncouth, lacking flair. In terms of the story, he was mainly meant to be the opposite of Venom, who only killed when necessary whereas Carnage just killed indiscriminately. His base serial killer style was mostly in the two cameos from before his full debut. After that, he was just killing like Jason Voorhees in "Freddy Vs Jason" during the rave massacre.

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    If you edited together all of the ASM2 trailers, you'd probably have about 70% of the final movie. Sure feels that way, anyway.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The other posters:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final trailer:

Actually not too bad- it doesn't show a whole lot more than what we've already seen across the other trailers, it's just combined them differently, though there are a bunch more webslinging effects shots and shots of Spidey's fights with the bad guys (but they seem to be just extended shots of scenes we've already seen).

13. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Anyone catch that Chameleon Easter egg?

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I think that's the first time we've seen the entirety of Rhino. Otherwise yeah, not a whole lot of new stuff, though if it wasn't obvious before that Harry is the Goblin, there's no doubt now.

EHT likes this.
  15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  16. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    You know, so much promotion, with teasers of teasers for trailers kind of reeks of desperation. They seem to want to create so much hype to maximize first weekend numbers. Or maybe they want to oversell their product because they are unsure how well it well perform. I dunno. At this point the trailers have revealed so much that I'm not even sure what surprises are left.

EHT likes this.
  17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Pretty sure the new trailer includes enough new stuff to push this up to about 75%. :p

18. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    how can you be so sure?

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Well, the last film didn't do as well as the first three. So Sony is probably taking every effort to ensure that their future plans reach fruition.

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    THE ELECTRIC MAN COMETH

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    We already had those shots of Harry being all angsty "We have the power", and now we see him directly scheming with Electro. And just checked, wikipedia backs me up.

22. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    i don't trust wiki. I'm going to stand by my theory of bad Mexican food making him green

23. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It doesn't matter how much is revealed really, so long as the movie is good

24. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Why is Electro from this movie reminding me A TON of Arnold Schwarzennager's Mr. Freeze?

25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Cause it's actually Schwarzennger playing Electro and they want us to think it's Fox playing him

Juliet316 and Darkslayer like this.