Amph The Amphitheatre Social Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by REVANLORD, May 28, 2006.

1. Vincent-Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Tulsa got buried in snow today. On the plus side, my new dorm is in the same building as the caf, so I don't have to expose myself to the elements in order to get a bite to eat:p
  2. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    It's raining, which it does every day between Hallowe'en and October 30th.
  3. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5

Starting at this very moment, Casablanca on TCM.
  4. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5

An interesting and underrated movie, The Stunt Man, starring Peter O'Toole, starts on TCM in 9 minutes.
  5. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Very kinetic movie. Doesn't quite hold together, but enjoyable.
  6. Vader_vs_Maul Force Ghost

star 3
    Dr. Zhivago on TCM in an hour.
  7. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    What the *HELL* is happening in Japan? What rocket scientist decided to have nuclear power plants in a very unstable earthquake zone?
  8. Champion of the Force Force Ghost

star 4
    Isn't the entire country sitting on an unstable earthquake zone? :confused:
  9. Violent Violet Menace Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, right? Also, the Japanese are a large population living in a relatively small area. I suspect their only hope of producing enough energy is to have nuclear power plants. Perhaps fossil fuel plants would have produced enough too, but they pollute a lot, in a country that already has a very dense urban population.

Of course, the flipside to the coin is that nuclear waste must be stored away pretty much forever. Regarding the earthquake risk, the plants were built with extensive security measures, but the earthquake was much stronger (8,9) than anyone expected to be normal.
  10. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    They have tremblers all the time. It's crazy.
  11. Mr44 VIP

star 6
    Is anyone planning on going to see the Taxi Driver re-release in theater this weekend? (well, really not "weekend" per se, it's 2 Saturdays in select markets)

Looks like a extensive remastering process was used, so it could be a fun opportunity to see the Scorsese-Deniro contemporary classic on an actual movie screen.

12. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5
    A unique film beginning now on TCM. "The Last of Sheila" written by actor Tony Perkins and Stephen Sondheim. The only screenplay Sondheim ever wrote. Directed by Herbert Ross.

Interesting casting in this film. James "Lolita" Mason plays a child molester. And there's other interesting coincidences too.
  13. Violent Violet Menace Force Ghost

star 4
  14. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5
    The dumbing down of America continues. MTV's gift to our culture, Snooki from Jersey Shore, was paid $ 32,000 to speak at Rutgers University.

Oh, I get it! They paid her using this formula: Snooki, you get a $ 1,000 for each of your I.Q. points.

Snooki speaks!
  15. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  16. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5

She's one of the stars of the MTV reality show Jersey Shore, a real low point in American television history.
  17. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Low a la "My Mother the Car"?
  18. Vader_vs_Maul Force Ghost

star 3
    Ben-Hur is on TCM tonight at 9pm CET.
  19. Havac Some Guy Who Moderates Lit

Manager
    star 7
  20. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5

North by Northwest just started on TCM. Always enjoyable.
  21. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  22. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    I haven't seen 'North by Northwest'. I'm really behind on Hitchcock. I think his films are great but I don't have the same enthuiasm for him as a lot of people do. I do genuinely love Psycho though
  23. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    "North by Northwest" is a lot of fun, and the crop-dusting scene is iconic.
  24. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The Canadian Federal election is on currently. Two parties--the Conservatives and the NDP (the social-democrats) are doing extremely well. Two others--the Liberals and Bloc Quebecois (the separatists) are getting pasted. For some reason, the Bloc collapsed in favour of the NDP (whose leader was born in Montreal and is a francophone). The NDP have never done well in Quebec before. The Liberals did poorly because the polls said the NDP were surging; the usual Liberal voters apparently voted Conservative to hold it off. Strange days, indeed.
  25. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5

Sounds like Canada has a lot more political parties than the U.S.

Anyone looking for a bargain?

REAL ESTATE NOTICE:
    For sale: Suburban compound with "mansion" with minimal aesthetic appeal. Three stories. No pool, telephone or internet service. Previous owner is deceased due to recent home invasion. Some damage to property due to recent helicopter accident. Great fixer upper. Contact Al Queda Real Estate Inc. A bargain at 2 million rupees.