Amph The Amphitheatre Social Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by REVANLORD, May 28, 2006.

1. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Oh, lord. So much for the Pakistanis saying he wasn't there. :p
  2. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    I'd just like to let all of you know that my new site, Absolute Knave, is up and running. I'm posting all of my writing there that you may have enjoyed here: my Batman thread, my X-Files thread, my EU thread in Lit, etc. Also, lots of reviews of albums and movies that you can't find here or anywhere else. I'm very excited and think the site looks and feels great. Stop by and take a look.

I'm still working on my archives; I've only got three of my Batman reviews posted at AK so far, for instance, but I'm definitely going to get all my great reviews up there and I think the formatting allows for a better reading experience than the one here on the boards. Swing by the site and let me know what you think!
  3. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  4. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    It's a riff on Hamlet's remark about the gravedigger: "How absolute the knave is. We must speak by the card or be undone . . ."
  5. Vader_vs_Maul Force Ghost

star 3
    Singin' in the Rain on TCM in 5 minutes.
  6. JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Grand Master

star 5

Star Wars was released 34 years ago today in 32* American theatres. Yes, there were lines.

It didn't take long for 20th Century Fox to widen the release. ;)

*Someone will dispute this figure. [face_laugh]
  7. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6
    I CONTEND THAT IT WAS 32±1 THEATERS!
  8. Vader_vs_Maul Force Ghost

star 3
    Well, The Event finally was put out of its misery, but for me who continued watching the show, hoping for a good resolution, it was a disappointment as both the President, and the human population at large survived. :mad:

The show wrote the human characters so, IMHO, obnoxiously and annoyingly stupid at times that I was hoping the whole way that the aliens would win. However, there was a redeeming light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. Simon, the Secret Service sleeper, revealed that an event would transpire in the near future which would annihilate the entire human population, but the aliens would survive this event. And Sophia revealed that trying to exterminate the human population by way of a Spanish Flu epidemic was really an act of mercy toward the humans, in anticipation of The Event, which would apparently be a much worse fate to face for the humans. So this leaves me with satisfaction as this means all the humans will inevitably die off screen anyway. :)
  9. Vengance1003 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  10. Vader_vs_Maul Force Ghost

star 3
  11. Champion of the Force Force Ghost

star 4
  12. JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That video was the usual Let's All Hate George Lucas garbage, and I've pretty much had enough of it so I watched about 30 seconds and turned it off. I'm so bored with that stuff.

Turner Classic Movies is showing monster movies tonight...including Godzilla. It was funny to watch urbane, avuncular Robert Osborne
    talk about monster movies.
  13. JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  14. Vader_vs_Maul Force Ghost

star 3
    Why do you quote yourself? :confused:
  15. Champion of the Force Force Ghost

star 4
    Extra emphasis! :p

(though I suspect JWD intended to edit his post, but hit the 'quote reply' link instead without realising - I've done it myself a couple of times)
  16. JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Grand Master

star 5

Yes, that's exactly what I did! :p Sorry.

I'm visiting the amphi social thread to say I'm currently enjoying the telecast of Black Narcissus on TCM. :cool:
  17. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  18. JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Grand Master

star 5

Hitchcock's Dial M for Murder begins in 11 minutes on TCM. :cool:
  19. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I recorded "I Confess", which I haven't seen.
  20. JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Grand Master

star 5

The news story I submitted on Harrison Ford was posted on the front page of force.net today.
    [face_mischief]
  21. JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Grand Master

star 5

Robert Osborne and Conan O'Brien talking now on TCM discussing his picks for his "guest programmer" slot.

Conan's choice at this hour: Network(1976).

It's weird to see those two together.
  22. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Did you see "A Trip Down Market Street" on "60 Minutes"? This is a silent film which was made prior to the San Francisco earthquake. They made it by mounting a camera on a streetcar. A film historian decided to date it, and discovered it was made in early April, 1906, and that the makers sent it out of town by train for processing in New York *the night before the earthquake*. Nearly all the buildings on Market Street were destroyed the next day, including the building of the makers of the film (it certainly would not have survived the quake if it had stayed in the city).

It's extraordinary to watch.
  23. JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Grand Master

star 5

That sounds really interesting. I wish I would have seen that. It's a good thing the film lab was all the way across the country in New York. If they had had the film processed there....as you say...doubtful it would have survived.
  24. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    People wave at the camera, and stroll across the streets casually. Knowing what is going to happen makes it terribly poignant. The historian found a description of--and advertisements for--the film in a vaudeville newsheet.

EDIT: Here it is: A Trip Down Market Street

I believe that the large building at the end of the street survived, but little else did, though most of the damage was by fire.
  25. JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Grand Master

star 5