main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Amphitheatre Social Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by REVANLORD, May 28, 2006.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    Oh, lord. So much for the Pakistanis saying he wasn't there. :p

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'd just like to let all of you know that my new site, Absolute Knave, is up and running. I'm posting all of my writing there that you may have enjoyed here: my Batman thread, my X-Files thread, my EU thread in Lit, etc. Also, lots of reviews of albums and movies that you can't find here or anywhere else. I'm very excited and think the site looks and feels great. Stop by and take a look.

I'm still working on my archives; I've only got three of my Batman reviews posted at AK so far, for instance, but I'm definitely going to get all my great reviews up there and I think the formatting allows for a better reading experience than the one here on the boards. Swing by the site and let me know what you think!

3. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Interesting title!

4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It's a riff on Hamlet's remark about the gravedigger: "How absolute the knave is. We must speak by the card or be undone . . ."

5. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Singin' in the Rain on TCM in 5 minutes.

6. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Star Wars was released 34 years ago today in 32* American theatres. Yes, there were lines.

It didn't take long for 20th Century Fox to widen the release. ;)

*Someone will dispute this figure. [face_laugh]

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I CONTEND THAT IT WAS 32±1 THEATERS!

8. Vader_vs_Maul

Dec 4, 2003
    Well, The Event finally was put out of its misery, but for me who continued watching the show, hoping for a good resolution, it was a disappointment as both the President, and the human population at large survived. :mad:

The show wrote the human characters so, IMHO, obnoxiously and annoyingly stupid at times that I was hoping the whole way that the aliens would win. However, there was a redeeming light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. Simon, the Secret Service sleeper, revealed that an event would transpire in the near future which would annihilate the entire human population, but the aliens would survive this event. And Sophia revealed that trying to exterminate the human population by way of a Spanish Flu epidemic was really an act of mercy toward the humans, in anticipation of The Event, which would apparently be a much worse fate to face for the humans. So this leaves me with satisfaction as this means all the humans will inevitably die off screen anyway. :)

9. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
  10. Vader_vs_Maul

Dec 4, 2003
    Good stuff. :p

11. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    That video was awesome! :)

12. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    That video was the usual Let's All Hate George Lucas garbage, and I've pretty much had enough of it so I watched about 30 seconds and turned it off. I'm so bored with that stuff.

Turner Classic Movies is showing monster movies tonight...including Godzilla. It was funny to watch urbane, avuncular Robert Osborne
    talk about monster movies.

13. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

14. Vader_vs_Maul

Dec 4, 2003
    Why do you quote yourself? :confused:

15. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Extra emphasis! :p

(though I suspect JWD intended to edit his post, but hit the 'quote reply' link instead without realising - I've done it myself a couple of times)

16. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Yes, that's exactly what I did! :p Sorry.

I'm visiting the amphi social thread to say I'm currently enjoying the telecast of Black Narcissus on TCM. :cool:

17. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Amazing colour film.

18. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Hitchcock's Dial M for Murder begins in 11 minutes on TCM. :cool:

19. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    I recorded "I Confess", which I haven't seen.

20. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

The news story I submitted on Harrison Ford was posted on the front page of force.net today.
    [face_mischief]

21. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Robert Osborne and Conan O'Brien talking now on TCM discussing his picks for his "guest programmer" slot.

Conan's choice at this hour: Network(1976).

It's weird to see those two together.

22. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Did you see "A Trip Down Market Street" on "60 Minutes"? This is a silent film which was made prior to the San Francisco earthquake. They made it by mounting a camera on a streetcar. A film historian decided to date it, and discovered it was made in early April, 1906, and that the makers sent it out of town by train for processing in New York *the night before the earthquake*. Nearly all the buildings on Market Street were destroyed the next day, including the building of the makers of the film (it certainly would not have survived the quake if it had stayed in the city).

It's extraordinary to watch.

23. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

That sounds really interesting. I wish I would have seen that. It's a good thing the film lab was all the way across the country in New York. If they had had the film processed there....as you say...doubtful it would have survived.

24. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    People wave at the camera, and stroll across the streets casually. Knowing what is going to happen makes it terribly poignant. The historian found a description of--and advertisements for--the film in a vaudeville newsheet.

EDIT: Here it is: A Trip Down Market Street

I believe that the large building at the end of the street survived, but little else did, though most of the damage was by fire.

25. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004