main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Amphitheatre Social Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by REVANLORD, May 28, 2006.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    If you say so.

It's Grey Cup Weekend in Canada.

2. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    Look... all this Thanksgiving business began in the United States in 1863 when
    Abraham Lincoln lost a bet and was forced to start a new holiday.

[image=http://www.movieactors.com/freezeframes510/Aliens04.jpeg]
    Abraham Lincoln

An actor named John Wilkes Booth (I believe he was Canadian) got so ticked-off
    over the whole thing that he assassinated Lincoln, shouting 'Sic Semper Supplicatio!'
    (Thus Always to Thanksgiving!) in the process.

[image=http://www.ethiopiahewitt.com/projects/booth/images/redBooth.jpg]
    John Wilkes' booth.

I don't know what all the confusion is about. It's like that Roswell business or JFK.

Perfectly, easily explainable.

3. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Of course it is.

4. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    And without Thanksgiving you wouldn't get all the crazy news stories about Black Friday, which is basically the only Thanksgiving related stories you get around here.

5. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    There was a charity luncheon in tandem with the Grey Cup (Canadian Football), and two elderly ex-CFL football players began hitting each other while in attendance, one using his cane.

Angelo Mosca v. Joe Kapp

Only in Vancouver.

[the comments after this video are pretty funny...]

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    My favorite Black Friday story is the woman who started spraying pepper spray indiscriminately in order to clear a path to the X-Boxes. Classy; only in America, folks.

But darned if the Canadians don't have the last laugh; that brawl is terrifying. Those guys could clearly use some therapy. I love how Kapp goes up to shake Mosca's hand after he's just told that story about naming the dog Angelo and kicking the crap out of him every day. That's brutal.

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I saw that a couple days ago. The best part is easily Kapp bellowing "SPORTSMANSHIP!" right after knocking Mosca on his ass.

8. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    It was all over the papers...though I will note that both these men were born in the good old US of A. They just worked here.

9. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

RED ALERT

Dr. Strangelove now beginning on TCM. The titles are on.

Chosen by guest programmer James L. Brooks (The Simpsons, Terms of Endearment.)

10. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    Hello, everybody. I am new to the Amphatheatre. This looks like a fun place.

Nevermind, I love your username. It makes me laugh every time I read it. It sounds so funny and indecisive.

[face_laugh]

:)

11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Welcome to the forum. You've been around a while to just now be getting here. You hang out in Games, I'm guessing. Anywhere else?

12. Rainbow Knight Star

Apr 18, 2005
    Yes, I also hang out in the SWC, SWFF, and SWRPF.

Thanks for the welcome. I enjoy talking about the movies I like; both old and new.

I like the LOTR Trilogy, all of the Narnia films, the 2001 Planet of the Apes and Rise of the Planet of the Apes I like all of the Shrek movies, both Princess Diaries films, A Walk to remember, The Queen, Elizabeth: The Golden Years, and more.

I also like Soul Serfer and Dolphin Tail. I have Conan, but haven't watched it yet. It looked good from the previews.

No scarry movies for me, thanks. You won't see me posting in those threads.

I love Disney though, especially the fairytales.

13. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Hitchcock's Suspicion begins on TCM in 17 minutes.

14. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Great movie. Hitchcock wanted Grant to be a murderer, though.

15. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

I watched it, it was great, hadn't seen it in a long time.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, now starting on TCM.

16. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Saw the end of "Treasure" and the start of "The Wild Bunch"...never grows old

17. Rainbow Knight Star

Apr 18, 2005
    I am a huge Stargate fan. Too bad all the threads are locked. I love talking about those series, especially Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis.

18. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    I will open them for you, if you want...

19. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Folks, I'm having computer trouble. Bear with me, please.

20. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Norwegian state tv has begun airing this 15 episode British documentary series called The Story of Film. I'm watching the second episode now, and am finding it very interesting and thoroughly enjoyable. I think even people who know a lot about the history of cinema might find it interesting, and learn something new. It's narrated in an easily understood way, I find. It doesn't underestimate its audience, and at the same time doesn't talk over your head. I know very few of you live in Norway, but I just wanted to give a heads up for anyone who's interested... if you ever come across it on tv or Hulu or whatever, it's definitely worth checking out. The narrator is Scottish, I think, if I'm guessing the accent right.

21. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Hey everyone if you haven't seen this, take three minutes and check it out.
    (I'm looking at you Michael Bay.)

British film director Sir Ridley Scott launched a global film making contest for aspiring directors. It's titled "Tell It Your Way". There were over 600 entries?

The film could be no longer than three minutes, contain only 6 lines of narrative & be a compelling story. The winner was "Porcelain Unicorn" from American director Keegan Wilcox.

It's a story of the lifetimes of two people who are totally opposite, yet, very much the same - all told in less than 3 minutes.

The Porcelain Unicorn

22. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    The storytelling is quite outstanding. Minimum dialogue, but you get the picture. Literally.

23. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    Well-made,small,pointless.

24. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014