main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The "Anakin will NOT fall in lava" Club!

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Vaderbait, Jun 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nismo1223

Nismo1223 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 31, 2002
    Has anyone ever considered the fact that just plain and simply Obi-wan completly kicks Anakins ass in a duel...He doesnt fall of into a lava pit or anything, maybe Obi-Wan Fights him and defeats him so badly that he cause lethal damage to anakin, thus anakin cant live w/o a suit.

2. netslave

netslave Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2002
    yeah, my post about obi-wan cuttin ani to bits. ;)

3. The_Dark_Angel

The_Dark_Angel Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2002
    But Obi just beating up Anakin is too simple

4. netslave

netslave Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2002
    ah, but it would be so fun to watch

5. SpaceRonin

SpaceRonin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 20, 2002
    I beleve Anakin will no longer be a jedi at the start of part III, and he will be living on Tatooine or Naboo. His anger toward the jedi will be complemented by his new mentor Palpatine. General Kenobi and his new apprentice of an unknown name will come to Tatooine to recruit Anakin for a "damn fool idealistic crusade." After Anakin fights Dooku, he will allready have breathing problems and perhaps some of the scars. Obi and his new apprentice will tag team Anakin like Qui and him did Maul. Anakin having never been allowed to take the trials, will be full of hate and jealousy toward Obi and his new Aprentice. The new aprentice and Anakin will fall into lava together, and only one smoldering figure will emerge from the hellish pit and will reemerge as Darth Vader. Obi will tell Padme that Ani is dead and take Luke back to Owen at her request while her and Leia stay with Organa.

6. LordSinshine

LordSinshine Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2002
    I have NOT read the ROTJ novelization, but with all the permission Timothy Zahn and other autors of the EU have had to get in order to mention events of the PT and OT in their novels, I would think that if GL would
    only allow the lava idea if it was somewhat
    true to what he had originally envisioned.

I too believe that Anakin will comit a kamikaze or suicide of somekind. If he believes Padme is dead (which I think will
    only be staged to save her and the twins from Anakin and the Emperor) he has lost
    everything...his mother, padme, his children and his potential knighthood in the Jedi order. I think it will be an astonishing duel
    between Anakin and Obi-Wan...hopefully incorporating the music that was used during the Vader/Luke duel in ROTJ just before Luke
    cuts off Vader's hand (very emotional and powerful music that should mirror ROTJ). The two will be worthy advessaries for the most part, but I agree, Anakin will become trapped somehow and Obi-Wan will offer his assistance (in return for Anakin to come back to the good side...mirroring Vader offering assistance to Luke in ESB to turn to the dark side). Anakin, like Luke, refuses the help and takes his own life (as does Luke...although he is miraculously saved) You see, Vader has already been born within Anakin long before the duel with Obi-Wan. Vader is the hatred within Anakin...and it's his hatred (Vader) that ultimately kills him.

Now whether this suicide involves lava or not, I do not know. Personally I think it would be very cinematic if it did. The orange hues would mimic that of the colors during Luke and Vader's first duel in ESB.
    The decent into hell theme is also very profound if it is done this way.

Now, if it is done this way and the naboo=dagobah theory is true, I think that this duel will, in fact, take place on Naboo.
    True, it's core is not molten lava (rather water) but that is not to say that there is not sections of Naboo that are hard crust that contain lava (a mountain or something) just as there are parts of the Earth where water decends much further than others even though the core of the Earth is molten magma.

Ahhh...my grand theory of EP3 is starting to come together. Is it true? Who knows. But isn't it great that these films allow us to expand so much with our imaginations?!!!

7. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Well, those gashes on his face aren't lightsaber marks, but they sure as hell ain't no lava or burn marks.

I'mvoting for near death trapping by machinery still.

8. cable1996

cable1996 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2001
    Here is an official Lucas quote, from the Annotated Screenplays.

"I didn't have a very specific idea about what Vader might look like underneath the mask. I knew that he had been in a lot of battles, and at one point I thought that he had had a confrontation with Ben and Ben had sent him into a volcano. But he was all but dead, and basically he was manufactured back together even though there was very little left of him. So he is kind of this three-quarter mechanical man and one-quarter human, and the suit he wears is like a walking iron lung. By the time we got to the third film, we were able to articulate what Vader looked like underneath the mask, but until then I just knew that he was pretty messed up simply because he could barely breathe or speak."

9. Archangel6000

Archangel6000 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2002
    I like this club. Makes me think of club sandwiches and turkey. HEHEHEHE.

When Anakin becomes Vader, do you really think he's that tall? I think he really get's hacked up like black knight in Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail. Then he has robot extensions built longer than his original limbs, making him the 7-ft tall black dude in ANH.

Is he related to Shaq?

I am anti-Lava pit cuz it just don't flow. If his lungs were ****ed up from inhaling molten pit fumes, that would explain the "walking Iron-lung" thing that Lucas mentioned. But his cuts in ROTJ look like he woke up on the wrong side of the Reek(the creature that tried to kill him on Geonosis)'s bed. Like he was mauled by a bear or some sort of animal with claws.

10. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Good point.

11. LordSinshine

LordSinshine Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2002
    Who's to say that those gashes didn't occur during the duel with Obi-Wan and that Anakin's head was one of the few body parts of his to survive the lava? Who's to say those gashes weren't put there somewhere during the 24 (or so) years between EP3 and
    ROTJ?

Point is, gashes in Vader's head will have little or nothing to do with the outcome of the Obi-Wan vs. Anakin duel. Vader is a warrior and warrior's have scars.

12. thenink

thenink Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2002
    But the scars must be addressed, one way or the other in EP3. I'm betting that Anakin will receive them either directly from Ob1 or indirectly during their duel. :D

13. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    Lordsinshine has a point. The gashes don't necessarily have to be explined in Ep III, they could be recieved later, however, I feel it would be better to address this.

Anakin would not have to inhale lava to ruin his lungs. the fact he has an artifical vertebra at C2 already has that covered. A spinal injury at that point would sever the respiratory system's ability to function without a respirator.

14. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Man, with all this discussion, I'm looking at the II Anakin and thinking of that person so completely hacked and marred and it's pretty jarring...very scary. I might not want to take my mother to this one. ;)

TVB.

15. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    `Anakin! How many times have I told you...?!'

`S-stay away from the... power c-couplings.'

Anakin might get have trouble with this.

16. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]this club has gone by the wayside. :([/color]

17. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Yes, maybe there will be no lava involved. Maybe his injuries will come from.....
    A lightsaber???

Heh...naahhhh...that's really stretching.

18. Arachnophilia

Arachnophilia Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2002
    can i still join?

where the hell did this lava thign come from anyways? the original emporer's throne room scene from rotj, or what?

19. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I agree with Bresson. I think the lava scene would be great and it would be interesting to see it realized on screen. I won't mind if Lucas does something new but I'm kind of looking forward to a volcano side battle with lava, eruptions, etc. :)

20. merlin

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]I wouldn't mind the lava battle scene, but please don't let anakin FALL in the lava!!! ;)[/color]

21. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    Like Merlin I wouldn't mind if they fought on a lava world but if he falls into the lava then it could totally ruin the movie for me. Anakin's facial injuries from ROTJ were not from lava or else his whole face would have looked like that. Not just parts of his face.

22. merlin

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]not to mention we would REALLY like to see obi-wan beat anakin fair and square[/color]

23. StormHawke

StormHawke Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2002
    Literary history is laden with examples of the fallen hero. With the influence of Christian mythology from the middle ages on (specifically Dante), the idea of decent runs concurrently and symbolically with the notion of 'falling from grace." Essentially, the hero falling from an elevated status to the depths of perdition--hell.

Now, we're all familiar with the typical attributes of Hell. Its real hot, fairly humid, smoke breaks are limited and everyone is forced to listen to the Captain and Tenille.

Ok... I'm off topic.

Still, we know the myths and the descriptions, and we know Lucas pulls alot of his ideas from historical literary motifs. If Anakin--a convergence of the force's energy and a messianic figure--is to complete his destiny in balancing the force, he must embark upon the cylce of decent and redemption. This means 'falling' into hell and, eventually, pulling himself back out. In this way, the lava theory works well. Although, it could end up really corny and trite. If its done well... it could be the perfect denouement to the story.

ps-- Anakin as the messianic figure also parrallels Christ's decent into the hell on Holy Saturday to open its gates as a means of allowing the fallen souls' the possibility of redemption. In short, before he completed his mission, he had to decend before he ascended.

Just a thought...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.