main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The anger managment tour-Expressing hateful emotions in song

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by chissdude10, Jun 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Hey, Im not sure if this is "legal" in this forum, since Its like my first post.

Anyway, this thread is for songwriters, or songlovers, discussing negative self-expression in song.

My opinion varies on the subject like many others. While seeing that people have the right to express any emotion(hate in particular) I do not go for those who use it soely for attention.

Just would like to hear others opinion, may be back later to judge a songs intentions.

2. Amidala_wannabe

Amidala_wannabe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    I think a song has at least two meanings. The way the artist felt while writing it and their emotions in the song while singing it, and the feelings and emotions of a person while they listen to it.

For example: Eminem*sp??* Some of his songs are upbeat but have hateful lyrics so when he sings it he's being true to his feelings in the song, but some peopel might skip over the meaning of the words and just like it 'cause of its up beat sound.

The same goes for other songs and song writers. . . I love Linkin' Park, but if I listen to their songs to much, I start to get depressed and feel like I want to hurt something or myself. Like wise when I listen to Spice Girls*the older albums* I feel so happy and alive!

I think its all in the way it was ment to sound and the way it is taken. Artists know that people will take their music in different ways, and some artists that use hate messages hide it with an up beat song, and listen to their fans so that if a problem arises they can say they wrote the way the fans intrepret it.

Shaden *^_^*

3. sith1137

sith1137 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2001
    well i agree with the post above about having 2 types of meanings. Korns jon davis went through alot in his life. some of his songs are so personal to him, he starts to cry or get really pissed off. and you can tell hes not faking it either. thats what a good songwriter is all about. feeling emotions while writing and performing the songs.

4. EvilEmpress

EvilEmpress Jedi Master star 2

May 15, 2002
    Eminem is a great MC, and very creative at rhymeing and that's about the exstint of his talent. His music is so one dimensional and processed, there is no depth or soul to it. Eminem makes his music to gain attention and appeal to the masses for money, he's music is a product and he has the novelty of being white. He reaches a fan base and spectrum that most rappers never get. He's also a narcissus and his music reflects that.

5. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I like how the Posies handle anger in their songs.

6. Darth Dradus

Darth Dradus Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 9, 2000
    I think NIN has a certain poetic bueaty that expresses such feelins so well. If you Listen to the Fragile, that is a masterpeice.

7. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Well, since I've been to a lot of concerts that have bands that express anger through music, I'll be honest on my opinion.

In concert, these bands throw on a show by showing all the anger they have for the song. A song should not be used as a gate to vent anger, only as an outlet for you to know someone else feels the way you do. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who don't feel this way. Look at mosh pits (for the most part, they're safe, and by safe I mean everyone helps each other up and gets those hurt out and to attention asap; unfortunately, there are a lot that aren't that way) and look at during-concert riots. People try and use the music as an excuse to vent their own anger. It's not healthy.

My standpoint on music, though, is that I know someone else feels the same way and it makes me feel better. I sing along with the words and feel better about myself. So... really, in my opinion, a song that has an anger-filled feel to it can be fine, as long as the listener takes it the right way.

8. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Giving this a nudge... It could use some more discussion :)

9. starwars6554

starwars6554 Jedi Master star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    If you look back at the CD My Own Prison by Creed, there are some really intense, maybe not angry, but extremely negative lyrics.

For example one song, In America proceeds to take potshots at religon and Christianity.

Church bells ringing
    Pass the plate around
    The choir is singing
    As their leader falls to the ground
    Please mister prophet man
    Tell me which way to go
    I gave my last dollar
    Can I still come to your show

This was Scott Stapp's way of venting his anger at the problems with the church in his eyes. It is healthy to express your feelings. Basically what people like Jon Davis and Eminem are doing are clensing themselves from all the hate and anger that is pinned up inside of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.