main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Animorphs Thread!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Andalite-Bandit, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    He lost :(

Visser Three was an awesome villian. I loved how angry he got and how crazy he could be at times. He wasn't that smart :p

2. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    The best is in book 53 when he thinks he has finally defeated the Animorphs, and then he is like "....They're on the ship!! Arrrrrrrr!!!!!" and then later on when they find him and the bridge and he has finally given up.

3. BobaKareu

BobaKareu Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    I had read that K.A. had finished the series short of the intended number, and due to her contract was supposed to still have 2 books to publish. One was supposedly the "Animorphs Bible," although it was never published. Sad, I loved the series immensely.

4. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    He was actually sharp as a tack during the Hork-Bajir war, he gave Dak and Aldrea a run for their money and his superiors were much more pigheaded and drunk on power then he, sort of like how he was during the earth invasion. I guess once he used his smarts to get an Andalite host and gain a high rank, he just sort of let his brain turn to mush. Maybe its just what corruption does to oligarchs.

5. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    Yeah, in the human invasion he got overly confident. Well i guess it is a good thing, or everyone would be controllers now! :p

6. master_quigon

master_quigon Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2006
    I have been reading Animorphs ever since I can remember! I have always wondered how the first yeerk crawled up and got into the beings ear without being vaporised?

Any thoughts?

7. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    I think, now I'm not entirely positive, that the first species the yeerks infested were the Gedds, which lived on the Yeerk homeworld and weren't very intelligent. I think there is further explanation on this in the Chronicles books, but I can't remember it.

8. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    First they got Gedds who lived on their homeworld, they were pretty stupid and clumbsy, one could just fall into a pool. Using Gedd hosts, they capture powerful Hork-Bajir, and a Hork-Bajir host was used to capture and restrain the first human host.

9. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    I thought it was the yeerks and gedds lived on the same planet, and they took over the gedds who didn't resist... then an andalite allowed a gedd yeerk to steal a spaceship through his kindness, and the yeerks escaped, went to the hork bajir world, took over, and the andalites didn't fight back enough.... while they were doing that they started copying technology. After taking over the whole hork bajir world they were strong enough to do after other planets.

10. Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29

Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    Didn't the yeerks form an alliance with the taxxons first, before going after the hork-bajir? Almost every taxxon became a voluntary controller in exchage for promises of freshly killed meat all the time. I'm not sure, but I would think if the yeerks only had gedd hosts, it wouldn't have been very difficult to get the hork-bajir. Granted the hork-bajir weren't much brighter then the gedds, but it would have been way easier with taxxons. By the way, lately I've been reading the whole series over and I just finished megamorphs #2, where they get blasted back to the time of dinosaurs. It was pretty interesting. Here's a quick summary for people who don't remember-

They get split up into 2 groups- Rachel and Tobias and the rest were together. The best part was the end when Tobias realizes they were always meant to be there and he and Ax fix it so that the nuke that they got from a group of bad aliens is given to another set of good aliens so that they could divert a comet that the bad aliens diverted towards Earth. Tobias told Ax to make it a dud so that the comet would indeed hit Earth. This led to the extinction of the dinosaurs. The reason the were no remains of the ailens was because the comet hit their settlement directly. The impact reverses the sario rip that they had been caught in and sends them back to their time. So the animorphs are indirectly responsible for the extinction of the dinosaurs.

Pretty cool, huh?

11. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    The Hork-Bajir were peaceful and didn't put up too much of a struggle when the first few were unwittlingly/unwillingly made into hosts. The taxxons were indeed allies, but that didn't happen until after the Hork-Bajir campaign, they got to the H-B's not too long after being set free.

12. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    I always thought the Tobias Rachel thing was super sweet... but I wasn't a fan of the jake/cassie thing. Seemed a bit forced at times. Also it made both of them act like idiots a lot.

13. Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29

Mar 1, 2003
    Who was everybody's favorite narrator? I usually loved Jake and Marco books best. And Ax books could really be laugh out loud funny at times. Personally, I always thought Cassie was by far the worst narrator of everyone. I don't know if its because of the stories she got, which were usually the most boring ones, or if it was because I thought she could just be a very boring character at times. But I always thought that every Cassie book, with the very noteable exception of #19, pretty much sucked.

14. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    Tobias was always my favorite, and then Ax or Jake.

15. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    I think Marco is my favorite narrator -- he always made me laugh. So did Ax, for that matter. But I nearly always had a hard time getting through Jake and Cassie books.

16. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    But I always thought that every Cassie book, with the very noteable exception of #19, pretty much sucked.

Agreed. her narration was annoying, almost always.

Ax was my absolute favorite narrator... i always laughed outloud at his antics. I really enjoyed tobias's books because he was so different... and I always liked Rachels, after the first couple. She got a little crazy at the end again, though

17. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    I did not think Cassie is so boring but I did think she had the worst battle morph. A wolf! eh! Tiger, Grizzly, and Gorilla is better! Ax was always Ax in battle, I think he should have had a battle morph too though, oh well!

I just watched a clip from an episode of the tv series on youtube, and it reminded me how terrible an adaptation it is. Awful. Search Animorphs on youtube, and there are clips up of the episode where Ax, Jake, and Marco are in an observatory, and Ax fights Visser Three. It's just ridiculous!

18. Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29

Mar 1, 2003
    I always thought it was ridiculous that Tobias almost always stayed as a hawk during battles. I mean, he would attack the enemy's eyes for crying out loud! And I agree that Cassie should have used a more powerful morph. I remember hearing somewhere that she would use the wolf just because it was the least powerful, yet powerful enough. Cassie never wanted to do more damage than she had to, thus the wolf morph was appropriate for her. Makes sense if you think about it.

19. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    Not really... it's just a miracle she never died.

How annoying.

20. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    I think a good battle morph would have been the cheetah. It is not as powerful as the other battle morphs, but it has super speed, which would be very useful!

21. Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29

Mar 1, 2003
    The best battle morph would probably be lion, which is what David had. It was as powerful as Jake's tiger, but it has a mane to protect its throat. That was probably the only reason David beat Jake when they battled.

22. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    I thought #34 was pretty on the ball and it was narrated by Cassie. That might be because it was a continuation of my all time favorite, the Hork-Bajir chronicles. I can see what y'all are saying though, Cassie's attitude irks me too.

23. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Unlocked.

24. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Thanks for unlocking this. This was my favorite book series as a kid, and I have a lot to say about it.

First, let me (a bit proudly) say that I read EVERY SINGLE BOOK in the series, including the Megamorphs, Alteranimorphs, and Chronicles, so I know pretty much everything there is to know about it.

Now, I have a bit of interesting trivia to discuss, if anyone wants to hear it, but I warn you it is something that you might want to remain blissfully unaware of, so I'll put it in spoiler tags, even though it doesn't have to do with the story.

That said, I learned something rather distressing to me a few months back. I don't know if this has been touched on or not, but K.A. Applegate only wrote about 30 of the 63 (I believe it's 63) books in the series! She wrote the first 24, she wrote #26, one of the thirties, #49 (I think), the last two in the main series, and some of the chronicles. This saddened me greatly. Every other book was written by different people, and often these people only wrote one of them and then moved on. The same thing happened with her other series that she wrote after, which name I cannot remember at the moment. So it's obviously a thing she does often.:(

However, I do have to admit that it's rather remarkable that the same quality and style pervaded the entire series, from the beginning to the end. Sure, I had my favorites and least favorites, but I loved all of them. So, in the end, I suppose it's not such a terrible thing that she didn't write them all.

Just thought you might find this interesting.

25. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I've heard of similar things happening to other authors, though it's often after they die and the name is just used by whoever gets to write the rest of it. The first name that comes to my mind is VC Andrews.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.