main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania The answers to life's mysteries... and other unanswered questions.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by milney, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Aztek, at a conservative guess, there would be a minimum of 30 names for the Moon.

Apollo is the common "proper" name I think. But if you look at all the dialects in the world, many thought the Moon to be more than what it is. I'm thinking those who gave it religious, mythical or other attributes.

I know that Mars has over a dozen different 'common' names, including Nirgal and Al-Qahira.

But Milney is most likely in unanswered questions cantral researching the proper answer, so we sit and wait......

:)

[face_whistling]

[face_worried]

[face_tired]

I'm sick of this. Let's play Hungry Hungry Hippos. [/Homer]

2. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Don't know where you get that from, my cat, Binks, will occasionaly move on from licking itself to licking my hand

3. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Did the naming of Binks have a, uh, relation to, like, that other binksies? ;)

Fair point. I was thinking more along the lines of licking your face but I suppose that is simply a size thing. Their tongues are just so much smaller I don't notice it.... :p

Yeah, ignore my question now. :)

4. milney

milney Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2003
    1) Does our moon have any other name, other than 'moon'. I noticed that all the moons for the other planets in our solar system have actual names and just wanted to know about our own.

The globally known name for the moon (in almost every language) is... "moon". The generic term which we use to describe all moons is the ACTUAL name that was given to our own. So you really are looking at "The Moon". And Gooba, Apollo is the name of the grek god usually associated with the sun, it has no reference to the moon, esxcept in dicussions about the Apollo Space Program, which comprised of the only manned missions to the moon. A term that is used to describe moons is luna (the name of the roman god of the moon)

2) Why do dogs lick people ?? Whats that all about ?
    2.01) Why don't cats lick people when they lick their own fur all the time?

Actually, Cats do lick people, but it doesn't occur nearly as often as with dogs. In relation to cats, it relates to the salt that is contained in your sweat. Cat's enjoy salty snacks (one of our former cats, Huey, liked to lick vegemite off my fingers). Dogs on the otherhand have two major reasons (after the salty taste). 1: The touch of the tounge is a form of showing affection between dogs. WHen they lick you, it could be likened to them giving you a hug, or a kiss. The way to respond is by patting them (which actually simulates being licked back).

The other reason is a sign of respect or deference. Translation: they lick you to show that they respect you and that they acknowledge that you are the top dog (pack leader, alpha male/female, take our pick there).

5. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Dogs lick me a lot.

:D

Nice answers, I didn't really know them. :)

6. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    Indeed it did. When we first got him, he came with the name talker, however we wished to change it. So in a long discussion of thinking of many names, none which could be agreed on, my dad jokingly suggested how about "jar jar binks"? It was rejected yet somehow shortened to Binks!

Though the odd thing is that all this occured whilst i was away on a camp, yet im the SW nut in the family.

7. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Cool. :) Interesting how it came about... shows that some flavoured nuts do have an impact on the eater.

[face_worried]

8. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    OK my question for Milney:

When adapting a movie from a book (ie. in particular Harry Potter) there is always detail which is neccesary to be over-looked in order to minimise the movie length. So when a book is approx. 600 pages (Goblet of Fire), why would you not split it into 2 movies?

I believe Kill Bill did this because Tarrentino had soo much material to put into the films.

Essentially what im trying to say is that Goblet of Fire needed to be 5 hours long to explain the story better!

9. milney

Aug 21, 2003
    When adapting a movie from a book (ie. in particular Harry Potter) there is always detail which is neccesary to be over-looked in order to minimise the movie length. So when a book is approx. 600 pages (Goblet of Fire), why would you not split it into 2 movies?

There's a decision that had to be made when producing a movie like the Harry Potter series, do you remain absolutely faithful to the book and produce something that's 4 hours+ long (think LOTR extended edition), or do you produce a movie that people would be willing to sit through in the cinema.

To be honest, I would personally prefer a more faithful adaption, but the producers are probrably aiming to a wide audience. AS a result we get a very dumbed down version of an otherwise good book.

Essentially what im trying to say is that Goblet of Fire needed to be 5 hours long to explain the story better!

I would be inclined to agree with you on that one.

10. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    the thing a studio needs to think would be: If the Goblet of fire was made into two movies, are there any elements of closure in any form were you can get two movies out of one story.

Do you know what I mean? It's hard to explain!

Ultimately fans wouldn't care- but we all saw the mass flood of retards after fellowship of the ring saying: "it had no ending" or " it had no storylineeee" Ugh! :rolleyes:

I haven't read the books, and I got the story of GOF no worries. I did however feel like there was something missing. So I could sense that there was more to some parts of the film.

EDIT: I really enjoyed the movie though. It's a shame the John Williams no longer does the music!!!!!!

11. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Actually, Jonnage, I thought that the score was equal best with Azkaban. Doyle did an absolutely fantastic job.

12. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    yeah- it's a good sign when I didn't notice the change until the credits rolled. His stuff is way more melodic though and I thought the opening music wasn't as rousing as the previous films.

But yeah- he did a good job!

13. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Heh, true. But Doyle's style is quite different from Williams. As you noted, he uses far less themes and more just constant mood music with motifs rather than themes. Still, I thought it was a great score. If you get a chance, listen to the track "Voldemort" from the CD. Absolutely stunning.

14. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    How good was Fiennes as Voldie?

15. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    He was fantastic. I must say, the soundtrack has REALLY grown on me since seeing the film, there are some fantastic cue's in there!

16. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Fiennes was brilliant, of course. That whole scene was done fantastically.

Yes, Scoot, some of the cues are incredible. It's not a great score if you are looking for themes, but for incredible music alone it does well, I think.

17. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    Thanks for the correction, Milney. :)

I recommend people look in their bookstores for a hardcover book called "Full Moon". It features over 150 images from the Apollo program that are not as commonly seen in historical articles or docos.

Question for Milney:
    With Telstra supposedly expanding the 3G network nation-wide, and talk about CDMA (and GSM)'s demise, how long would you figure GSM would continue? My GSM mobile plan is due in April (I live in Brisbane but travel out of the 3G network area often), so should my next phone be a 3G phone or a GSM (on a 2 year plan) phone?

18. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    It shouldn't be with Telstra, that'd solve all your problems. :p

I think their plan to scrap all of their existing services and bring in a new frequency is ridiculous, personally. It's going to create a generation of phones that are completely incompatible with each other, which I figure is Sol's main aim so that people don't just get the handset and bail out of their contracts.

19. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    Well CDMA isn't going to become obsolete, and neither are the phones. All that's happening is they're changing CDMA to support 3G in the same coverage areas, and I'm pretty sure it's being sold off.

so your handsets aren't going to become obsolete.

20. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    I have been told that those services, starting with CDMA as soon as late 06, will be discontinued completely. GSM I am hazy on, something like 08??

Just wondering if I should get a 2 year GSM phone/plan or jump onto 3G asap...

21. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    Those specific networks may be phased out, but they'll be replaced and your phone won't become obsolete. They're just being replaced with a system that has more capabilities, like 3g in CDMA coverage and faster data etc...

22. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    EDIT: That was bad

23. milney

Aug 21, 2003
    Well, it's been six months (almost exactly) since there were any questions and seeing as the uni semester is almost over and I've finished my assessments, I'm kicking this back to the top for some more questions and answers :)

24. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    Will Australia make it to the second round of the Football world cup? :D:p

25. milney

Aug 21, 2003
    Will Australia make it to the second round of the Football world cup?

All they need to do is get a draw or better in their next game. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.