main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania The answers to life's mysteries... and other unanswered questions.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by milney, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Why does it cost money to go to your message bank on Telstra?

And why does Optus have such shoddy coverage in Tassie?

2. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Should I cook a Soursop, or just eat it raw?

3. messicat_kenobi

messicat_kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    milney has too much time on his hands! get the feeling I never want to play Trivial Pursuit with you!

I don't think you speak French, but I'm going to ask you this question anyway because it's bugging me and my friend:

How would you say 'does that make sense?' in French. The two phrases I know are 'est-ce que tu comprends?" meaning "do you understand?" "tu voir?" meaning "do you see?" but they don't mean "does that make sense?" even though they are phrases that can overlap, they are phrases that can be used with certain connatations. I mean, understanding and sense are different things, wouldn't you agree? So until I can find my French dictonary, or at least a French speaker with better English than my friend, I leave this question for you to answer, milney! Or anyone else who feels game! Do the French have a phrase for 'does that make sense?" or is it not something they would say!

4. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    Luckily, I ate it raw.

How soon will paid-up trips into space be? I remember Richard Branson saying 'in a few years'. And will it be under $100k?

5. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003
    Okay, milney, here's an easy one. When was Leslie Nielsen born, and why do I find him so damn funny...? o_O

6. Detonating-Rabbit

May 23, 2003
    I'm still waiting, milney...but maybe you can tell me where everyone is as well. These boards are too quiet... :(

7. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Why is my eye twitching? Why has it been twitching, off and on, for the last 3 days? How do I make it stop?

8. Detonating-Rabbit

May 23, 2003
    Well, because there is a distinct lack of milney, your eye is twitching because you are nervous about something. Normally it's your eye that twitches, or your lip, or sometimes your thumb or thigh. Or so I am told...
    But yes, it's normally nerves. :)

Here's a question: Where is milney?

9. milney

milney Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2003
    1. Why did 3 Mobile make the decision to not expand their network?

I won't make reference to the fact that Vodaphone is now offering video-calls.

3 is in fact trying to expand their mobile network. The trouble they're having is that the newer phones (which have all the bugs worked out of them) are causing havoc with the older ones. In short, if you have a newer 3 phone, it will work in a few more areas (the older ones aren't configured for certain cells. Dont ask me why, thats just what I got told)

2. Why is it that if you have a full-on day you feel good the next day, but if you lounge around all day and do bugger all you feel like poop the next day ?

Easy. Your body is designed to be active. It will tire out after a long hard days work, which will enable you to get a good amount of sleep (7-10 hours is average). When you do nothing during the day, chemicals such as lactic acid and other toxins are allowed to build up instead of being broken down or expelled (as they would if you were active).

3. When travelling somewhere, why does the trip back feel quicker than the trip there ?

It depends on who you are. For some, they speed home for whatever reason. Others fall asleep on the train (i love them sometimes). For the most part, it's because you're usually focussed on the way to something, then on the way home, therefore, your mind is allowed to wander just that little bit to make the trip seem shorter.

4. Why does it cost money to go to your message bank on Telstra?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you're on a pre-paid mobile. In which case, even if you called a 1800 number, you'd still get charged for it. (mobile companies have weird rules for mobile phones in general. Pre-paid just adds more confusion to it)

5. And why does Optus have such shoddy coverage in Tassie?

Let me do a bit of research and I'll get back to you, but I would suspect it's due to large areas being unpopulated.

6. How would you say 'does that make sense?' in French. The two phrases I know are 'est-ce que tu comprends?" meaning "do you understand?" "tu voir?" meaning "do you see?" but they don't mean "does that make sense?" even though they are phrases that can overlap, they are phrases that can be used with certain connatations. I mean, understanding and sense are different things, wouldn't you agree? So until I can find my French dictonary, or at least a French speaker with better English than my friend, I leave this question for you to answer, milney! Or anyone else who feels game! Do the French have a phrase for 'does that make sense?" or is it not something they would say!

The french version of that phrase is spelt and pronnounced extremely similar to the spanish phrase "Comprende".

7. How soon will paid-up trips into space be? I remember Richard Branson saying 'in a few years'. And will it be under $100k?

There has been no exact date, but no it will not be under $100k. I quote the msnbc article when the test flight was made.

"The new service will be called Virgin Galactic and expects to fly 3,000 new astronauts in its first five years. Fares will start at $208,000 for a suborbital flight, including three days? training.
    Branson said the business would 'allow every country in the world to have their own astronauts rather than the privileged few.'"

8. Okay, milney, here's an easy one. When was Leslie Nielsen born, and why do I find him so goddamn funny...?

11 February 1926 in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.

As for the second part, because he appears in comical roles? I don't know and cant be expected to be able to say why you think things are funny deto.

I wish I could though, I could make millions with a popular tv series about it. :p

9. Why is my eye twitching? Why has it been twitching, off and on, for the last 3 days? How do I make it stop?

You've described a nervous twitch. They are triggered by something that either shocks your nervous systme, or by something that is troubling you (usually the second one).

10. Detonating-Rabbit

May 23, 2003
    Beautifully done, milney. :D

11. milney

Aug 21, 2003
    *bows*

Thankyou.

12. Detonating-Rabbit

May 23, 2003
    Any time. Oh, and where can I find a copy of Dracula Dead and Loving it? I have been searching everywhere...and I want it on DVD, too... :(

13. milney

Aug 21, 2003
    Amazon.com has dead and loving it on dvd, but theres no region 4 release, yet.

14. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    Herr Milney, I need your help.

When designing a lighting system (something i've had to work on outside of normal work the last week [face_tired]) I keep being told that i can't use a wash with a spot. But that is not my dilemma...

If I wanted to create an effect (on a small stage, about 12m across, 15m deep) of going from a direct spot facing downwards about mid stage, to a pale wash that encompasses the whole stage area with a minimum of lights, how would I go about it?

15. Detonating-Rabbit

May 23, 2003
    Special effects...? :p

Sorr, I am not going to be of any help here... :p

16. milney

Aug 21, 2003
    When designing a lighting system (something i've had to work on outside of normal work the last week tired ) I keep being told that i can't use a wash with a spot. But that is not my dilemma...

If I wanted to create an effect (on a small stage, about 12m across, 15m deep) of going from a direct spot facing downwards about mid stage, to a pale wash that encompasses the whole stage area with a minimum of lights, how would I go about it?

You're lucky I do this for a living.

The thing that I'm intrigued about is where you said 'i cant use a wash with a spot'. First of all, who told you something like that. Second, what lamps, dimmers & racks are avaiable for you to use?

17. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    Dr Karl said that it is possible to see some stars/planets during the daytime, with the naked eye. Where can I find online the means to view/locate these planets/stars?

18. Detonating-Rabbit

May 23, 2003
    You mean the guy with the CRAZY shirts?!?

19. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    I have a question..

How do you ask a girl out? It's been bugging me for some time.......

20. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I can answer that once being female and all

YOU JUST ASK HER OUT

21. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    ^^ She knows what she's talking about ;)

Milney, sorry I didn't get back to you about my previous question, but I asked the question why i couldn't do and got my answer. No rigging :p But all is worked out and to my specifics now. Once I get a board that doesn't shock me, it'll be even better.

But I do have another question...

What is the general definition of depression and schizophrenia? In laymans terms and with symptoms of such. Thanks :) I'm too lazy to look for it myself...

22. Detonating-Rabbit

May 23, 2003
    Gee, I really should be able to answer that depression one... [face_plain]

But milney would probably do a better job. :p

23. milney

Aug 21, 2003
    1. Dr Karl said that it is possible to see some stars/planets during the daytime, with the naked eye. Where can I find online the means to view/locate these planets/stars?

Unfortunately, University Lowbrow Astronomers
    Naked Eye Observer?s Guide
    [/link]
    was the best I could find. You can have better results looking up specific planets.

(notice I resisted the urge to say that everyday you see at least one star and one planet with the naked eye. For those playing the home game, these are the sun and the earth)

2. You mean the guy with the CRAZY shirts?!?

Yes

3. How do you ask a girl out? It's been bugging me for some time.......

As Katana_Geldar said "YOU JUST ASK HER OUT".

I think the real question you wanted to ask is "How do I get over my shyness to ask a girl out?"
    The only answer to this one is to actually ask a girl out and guage her response. Sorry, but that's the best I can do.

4. What is the general definition of depression and schizophrenia? In laymans terms and with symptoms of such. Thanks :) I'm too lazy to look for it myself...

Depression - A psychiatric disorder characterized by an inability to concentrate, insomnia, loss of appetite, anhedonia, feelings of extreme sadness, guilt, helplessness and hopelessness, and thoughts of death. Also called clinical depression.
    Layman's definition - a sadness that is genereally caused by something unpleasant

Schizophrenia - Any of a group of psychotic disorders usually characterized by withdrawal from reality, illogical patterns of thinking, delusions, and hallucinations, and accompanied in varying degrees by other emotional, behavioral, or intellectual disturbances. Schizophrenia is associated with dopamine imbalances in the brain and defects of the frontal lobe and is caused by genetic, other biological, and psychosocial factors.
    Layman's definition - it's commonly reffered to as 'multiple personality disorder'

Gee, I really should be able to answer that depression one...

deto, remember that I said we could take about this if you wanted to.

EDITS: in case you were wondering, I'm trying to get the link tag to work. for some reason, the /link one isn't working.

24. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    What are cbr files and what dod I do to open them. a firend just gave me a CD with HEAPS.

thanks for the kudos PulsarSkate and milney

*walks out of the thread smiling*

25. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    How do you ask a girl out? It's been bugging me for some time.......

Are you in this situation at the momment?
    If yeah, then explain it. Is it someone in a workplace or a regular clubber, bar chick, what ever?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.