1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Melbourne (10th-12th April), Gold Coast (17th-19th April)

Oz Comic Con: Perth (11th-12 April), Adelaide (18th-19th April)

Oceania The answers to life's mysteries... and other unanswered questions.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by milney, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Axicana Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the schnappi crocodile, he's sooooooo cute! It's just the song, when played constantly and is sung frequently by people you work with, it becomes irritating :p

But I will not excuse the frog
  2. evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling

star 7
    No love for Ba Ding, Ding, Ding ??????
  3. Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Not if you claim to have any taste or moral standards... :p
  4. GoobaFish Jedi Master

star 4
    ...so you suppose Milney is researching his answer to this "life mystery... or other unanswered question"?
  5. milney Force Ghost

star 5
    1. What will happen next in the novel I am writing?

That depends entirely on how warped your imagination is ;)

2. Milney, could you tell me when you believe a Space Elevator would be built, if at all? What pros and cons are there?

Theoretically, it could be done, but there is one big problem. In order for a space elevator to work, the cable, or tether as it is occasionally refferred to, would ned to be close to 35,786km long (for those who don't recognise the number, that's the height of a Geosynchronous orbit, which is where the top would need to be.)

The downfall is that even using carbon nano-tubes (a carbon construction, made with buckminster fullerines (buckyballs), which is currently the strongest fibre in existance. NOTE: I used the word fibre, not substance. The strongest substance is measured in different ways.), which are very small in diameter, are extremely heavy due to the enorumous length. Remember, the cable needs to be able to support it's own weight at the minimum for a space elevator to be even remotely possible.

Would it be a China Space Race thing, or would NASA/ESA/Russia do it? Or Private companies?

That is dependant on which countries/companies would believe would get the most benefit. In all likelyhood, it would be an international effort.

If you would like more information regarding the theories surrounding space elevators, PM me.

3. Why am I not surprised that you're the one running this thread?

Because I'm your brother?

Also, why do the runners-up in Australian Idol eventually do better than the actual winners?

Usually, the runner up doesn't get the market flooded with their single/album, which happens to the winner. Unfortunately, very good performers who win the conest will occasionally die a death due to the flooding of their material. Also, Aussies tend to go for the underdog (hopefully, you can work out where I'm going with this one.)

Next, out of the films Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven, which were both done by Ridley Scott, which one is more historically accurate?

Both films should ave used of research, and if I take one side or the other, I could be declared a heretic or a religeous nut (work that one out people :p ).

So, I will not determine which one is mroe historically accurate (given that the majority of records from that period in history were kept by the people who WON THE WARS)

And lastly, most people I know will say that the crazy frog is the most annoying thing in existence, with the schnappi crocodile not being far behind, yet they still sell very well. Why is that? Why do we find things annoying yet we still buy them?

Because it's catchy and it sticks into your head. And when something sticks into your head (just like a jingle on an ad). Some people buy it because they remember it, others because they actually enjoy it. Kinda of sadistic really.

4. ...so you suppose Milney is researching his answer to this "life mystery... or other unanswered question"?

As usual, when I'm delayed in answering these things, YES.
  6. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    Both Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven suffer some historical inaccuracies in the quest to have a modern audience relate. For example, Maximus could never have been who he was; and the callow tit played by Orlando Bloom would have had a hell of a time being both a bastard and a Lord.

E_S
  7. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    and the callow tit played by Orlando Bloom would have had a hell of a time being both a bastard and a Lord.

He would have had even a tougher time hacking away at his enemy and keeping his hair perfectly styled.
    Gotta love the movies...
    [face_plain]

8. Axicana Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hmmmm, I think I prefer Ender's answer to yours Dave :p

So my next one is what are the better choice for your guitar? Steel or nylon strings?

And why do U2 keep cancelling the Australian part of their world tours?

Why do some people get squeamish at watching medical procedures but then turn around and watch a movie like 'Saw' or 'Kill Bill' and not be fussed?

What rhymes with orange, purple, month or silver?

And the last in this segment, who would win out of a fight between Wonder Woman and Supergirl?

Just some food for thought... :D
  9. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Steel or nylon strings?

I'll certainly would urge you to go with steel. They make for much better sound, but can sting more when they snap on your fingers. ;)

who would win out of a fight between Wonder Woman and Supergirl?

Is the fight in mud or oil?
  10. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    Nylon strings is only good for classical guitar, so if you like John Williams (the guitarist that is) then you of course should go with nylon.

E_S
  11. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Classical Gas sounds the best with nylon too :)
  12. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I would offer that you cannot actually install nylon strings on a steel string guitar, the bridge is fundamentally different. ;)
  13. milney Force Ghost

star 5
    Hmmmm, I think I prefer Ender's answer to yours Dave

Your point would be...?

1. So my next one is what are the better choice for your guitar? Steel or nylon strings?

As the other people on the boards have mentioned, nylon are best for the 'classical' sound (John Williams is a very good example), steel are more durable (depending again on use and abuse). It comes down to what you want to do, what sound you want and how much abuse the strings are going to get.

2. And why do U2 keep cancelling the Australian part of their world tours?

3. Why do some people get squeamish at watching medical procedures but then turn around and watch a movie like 'Saw' or 'Kill Bill' and not be fussed?

These people know that a movie is FAKE, but a medical procedure actually shows you what's inside your body.

4. What rhymes with orange, purple, month or silver?

Month and Purple do have rhymes to them (I cannot for the life of me remeber what they are). Orange and Silver on the other hand, do not have perfect rhymes. They do however have half rhymes. ie. Lozenge and Salver.

5. And the last in this segment, who would win out of a fight between Wonder Woman and Supergirl?

In theory, Supergirl. Wonderwoman has less special powers, while Supergirl has msot of the one's that Wonder Woman does plus more.
  14. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Master

star 4
    Supergirl doesn't have magic rope.
    [face_beatup]

She could beat up Wonder Woman and tax her's though. Especially if it was in the mud.

Now that would be entertainment.
  15. solo77 Force Ghost

star 5
  16. Aztek Force Ghost

star 4
    I saw a snippet of on sky news today that mentioned something about some music show giving away plots of land on the moon to people that one an award or something.

My question is, were I or anyone else to have the technology and resources to colonize the moon tomorrow, would anyone on Earth have the right to say 'you can't build on site XYZ because that belongs to me' ?

I guess what I'm asking is, does anyone or any nation own the moon ?
  17. SithLord-Mixo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    we a a whole own the moon I think. You cannot buy or sell plots of moon suface!

I found this

"By international treaty it is understood to be free property. I do not believe that corporations or individuals may legally be allowed to own any part of it according to International Space Law"

http://www.astronomycafe.net/qadir/amoonm.html
  18. milney Force Ghost

star 5
    I guess what I'm asking is, does anyone or any nation own the moon?

Short answer, no. The following is taken from the UN's website (in regards to space law link ):

Can any State claim a part of outer space as its own?

No. The Outer Space Treaty states that outer space, including the Moon and other celestial bodies is not subject to national appropriation by claim of sovereignty, by means of use or occupation, or by any other means. The Treaty establishes the exploration and use of outer space as the "province of all mankind". The Moon Agreement expands on these provisions by stating that neither the surface nor the subsurface of the Moon (or other celestial bodies in the solar system), nor any part thereof or natural resources in place, shall become property of any State, international intergovernmental or non-governmental organization, national organization or non- governmental entity or of any natural person.

The UN-Ratified Space Law (and all realted treaty's) are INTERNATIONAL LAW.

In other words, all members nations & states voted to uplhold those treaty's and laws. SO NO-ONE can legally claim ownership of the moon, or any other celestial body for that matter.
  19. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    International law can only hold as strong as the people willing to defend it. ;) Whilst I'm a strong believer in the rule of international law over domestic law (this is where E_S comes in and says in Latin what I'm trying to say in English) I think that any international law wouldn't hold for much if, say, the US decided it owned the moon one day. Nobody else has gone there yet, who's going to stop them?
  20. milney Force Ghost

star 5
    That argument was used by a man who cliams he owns the moon and the other planets in the solar system.

The problem is that to legally claim ownership of the moon, you would need to govern it and have law create by inhabitants of that nation (you may see where I'm going with this one).

However, in order for that claim of ownership to be recognised by the earthen governments (ie to sell property rights of the moon to earth citizens), it would at some point need to refer to a treaty or agreement written on earth. The only such treaty's relating to celestial bodies forbid any organistion, group or individual from claiming, purchasing or selling ownership of such bodies.

Now, if the United States were to withdraw from the UN, Then it could certainly make a claim on the moon and have 'Lunar Laws' ratified by the US government. However, this would (in all likelyhood) be frowned upon by the other nations and could lead to the first space war (or WW3, whichever you feel more comfortable with). Admittedly, it's not to hard to imagine this happening, but also remember that the UN relies on the US for the majority of it's funding & support, so I don't think it would occur in the near future.
  21. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6

Isn't this the same for all laws, including national ones, though? In the end they are just bits of paper and anyone with enough power can do anything they want.
  22. Rebel_Padawan Force Ghost

star 4
    My mum got given a piece of land on the moon by my dad for her B'day. It includes a certificate and a map showing where the piece of land is, but ofcourse it is unofficial! :D o_O
  23. milney Force Ghost

star 5
    All of the websites that sell protions of the moon (or names of stars for that matter) have a disclaimer somewhere that their products are novelties.

They're good for some fun, but not to be taken seriously ;)
  24. Aztek Force Ghost

star 4
    I've got two new questions for you.

1) Does our moon have any other name, other than 'moon'. I noticed that all the moons for the other planets in our solar system have actual names and just wanted to know about our own.

2) Why do dogs lick people ?? Whats that all about ?
  25. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    I'll add to number 2)....

2.01) Why don't cats lick people when they lick their own fur all the time?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.