main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Anti-Christ: A self-refuting prophecy?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Emperor_Billy_Bob, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    This has always bothered me about the popular notion of the coming of the Antichrist: in America, every leader, ever, is suspected by some group of nuts of being the Antichrist even though there isn't any good evidence for doing so.

Now, imagine that some person (American or not) actually began to visibly fulfill the "signs" (Biblical or not) associated with the Antichrist. Everyone would immediately say "He is the Antichrist", making it more or less impossible for such a person to ever rise to power.

Doesn't make sense, if you ask me.

2. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    The whole Antichrist thing doesn't make sense to me.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Barack (6 letters) Hussei (6 letters) nObama (6 letters)
    ]-}

4. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
  5. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    EBB is the antichrist.

6. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    yah this has deffo been a thought ive experienced before. but i think the deal is that once you believe in god and jesus and whatnot its not much of a leap to believe that the antichrist could basically bewitch people into ignoring obvious signs like that.

its like how miracles described in the bible never turn up in history or the present day but people still believe they happened. the antichrist stuff is in the future so people can convince themselves that even though nothing like that would happen or has happened in their observable reality so far, that doesnt mean it wont happen someday

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  7. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    I don't get the whole Anti-christ thing either. And I'm a freakin' Christian.

Some people take Revelation way too seriously for such an abstract book. "Focus on less on looking for end of the world and more on making your world a better place." is my message to them.

thesevegetables likes this.
  8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    THE ANTICHRIST IS NERON CLAUDIUS CAESAR AUGUSTUS GERMANICUS.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
  10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't think the Antichrist (who I think is actually called the Beast of the Sea in the Bible) was ever meant to be literal.

But even if the author did mean it to be literal prophecy for the far future, I remember one of my more conservative religion teachers in high school saying it definitely won't be a politician because no politician could ever be so popular... that if it were to happen at all, and the Antichrist was an actual person and not an organization, it would be some kind of celebrity/philanthropist. He used the examples of Bono and Oprah :p

11. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I don't know, but I've enjoyed some great fiction regarding him.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    If I had a dollar for everyone who was supposed to be the anti Christ or a dollar for every time the Earth was supposed to end id be a freaking millionaire.

Religious peoples predications are wrong 100% of the time.

13. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Anton Lavey admitted to the Washington Post that he took most of his liturgy from Ayn Rand books. And tea partiers love Ayn Rand. lol

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    My Auntie Christ isn't going to like this. Not one bit.

15. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    [​IMG]

Old people are wise.

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Does this have anything to do with Combichrist? 'Cuz I dig their tunes.

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Why isn't there such a thing as a Pro-Christ? Or an Inter-Christ? Intra-Christ?

18. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    It is weird that you say that. My family has a long running injoke that Bono is the Anti-Christ.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  19. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
  20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The point you raise never becomes an issue because of the sheer difficulty of prediction. Most of the available information is centered on things like character traits. There is an obvious problem with this. It's like saying "The person who develops a cure for cancer will be a genius." Sure. But there are literally millions of geniuses throughout history who did not develop a cure for cancer, so trying to guess on this basis will have a pretty high error rate. The most specific, reliable information is usually after the point of return. Namely, by the time the Antichrist has committed the abomination of desolation, he is all ready prophesied to have amassed such tremendous power that it hardly seems relevant whether anyone could accurately recognize him or not.

darthhelinith likes this.
  21. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Such a good movie.

[​IMG]

CloneUncleOwen and Rogue_Ten like this.
  22. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    So, all of this happens before the Anti-Christ founds a one world government and starts tattooing barcodes on to people?

And if it is totally difficult to predict, why give us ways TO predict at all? Including 616, et al.

Essentially, it would not be difficult to predict who the Anti-Christ is even before the Abomination of Desolation simply because he would be more popular and powerful than any politician in history. I am not really buying the hand-wave here.

23. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    This is like having a conversation about whether the Keebler Elves are real or whether we'll ever find a way to get to Narnia. The answer to this thread is: because too many Americans really are as stupid as we think they are.

24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I would totally dive through a portal to Faerun or even Toril. Not to mention Golarion these days.

25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Have you examined the primary sources? In addition to the fact that you are looking at very particular interpretations/syntheses of this information, you seem to accept the notion that these any developments that refer to the Anti-Christ would be personal rather than structural. Why?

Also the general logic of your proposal collapses on itself. If one accepts the prophecy as true, it's not going to be prevented. It's really not any more or less likely to be preventable than it is to happen in the first place.