main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Anti-Draft: Where Fast Is Slow and Slow is Fast [Currently: Shurron wins]

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by DarthIntegral, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Welcome ... to the Anti-Draft. A draft of a different sort.

Normally, the winning team is the team that drafts the best, strongest, fastest and smartest characters and has the best luck with numbers. In this draft, we're looking for the opposite. Here, you want to draft a team that will lose more often than it wins.

Still, your characters will be going all-out, hoping to win their match. And the judges will judge them as such.

Think you've got what it takes to draft a team of losers? To pick the worst of the worst? To abandon your normal draft thinking and try something completely different?

Then this is the draft for you.

Now, the three positions are the same as usual:

The Commish: He randomizes the draft order, collects numbers, and calls out matches, as well as keeping track of records and helping us advance towards a winner.

The Judges: They judge who wins the matches, and sometimes give grades during drafting, and usually listen to arguments during matches.

The GMs: These eight people are the heart of the draft, as they compile their squads, send in numbers, argue for their matches, and try to advance towards total victory. Or Failure. Depending on your point of view.

Also the same, is the way in which we draft.

We randomize the order, and then each round, we reverse it, and we do that for eight rounds.

So it goes

GM A
    GM B
    GM C
    GM D
    GM E
    GM F
    GM G
    GM H

then

GM H
    GM G
    GM F
    GM E
    GM D
    GM C
    GM B
    GM A

But ... there are a few things that are different ... besides the strategy.

And those are trumps, prep time, and the draft list.

Trump Rules

Normally, there are no rules about trumps.

However, since the point of this draft is to lose a match, we want to avoid a GM getting too many forfeits. As such, trumps will be limited so that each team will get a maximum of three forfeits per round.

Prep Time

Prep time is usually reserved for the characters you think will use it best to win their match. As such, you normally get to choose a small number of characters to be prepared.

This being the anti-draft, all characters will be prepared, but you can choose up to two characters (or one trump) to be unprepared for a match. So, you will want to choose wisely!

Team battles, as usual, will remain with the entire team prepared.

The Draft List

Finally ... about that draft list. Rather than compile a full draft list for this draft, we're going to allow massive crossover. You can choose any character from the Jedi Draft, Movie/TV Draft, Comic Book Draft, Video Game Draft, or Animated Draft, provided they were on the most recently used list (linked to). With that said, you may only choose a maximum of three characters from each list.

So, if you're ready to be challenged by a draft literally like no other ... sign up!

GMs

Judges

1. NYCitygurl
    2. The_Loyal_Imperial
    3. Zizz

Commish

1. NYCitygurl

On With Teh Anti-Draft!

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm looking forward to this :D

3. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    GMs

1. EmpireForever

And if I win(lose), the loser(winner) can pick my colors.

4. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Given how I did in the only draft I actually joined, I would do well at this :p

5. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    1. EmpireForever
    3. ARAGORN327, ONCE AND FUTURE KING OF THIS DRAFT

6. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    1. EmpireForever
    2. BaSSiL
    3. ARAGORN327

7. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    1. EmpireForever
    2. BaSSiL
    3. ARAGORN327
    4. RX_Sith

8. whiteeagle

whiteeagle Jedi Master star 6

Dec 24, 2004
    Perfect.

1. EmpireForever
    2. BaSSiL
    3. ARAGORN327
    4. RX_Sith
    7. Eagle

9. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007

1. EmpireForever
    2. BaSSiL
    3. ARAGORN327
    4. RX_Sith
    5. Hammurabi
    7. Eagle

10. SWBob

SWBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 19, 2003
    1. EmpireForever
    2. BaSSiL
    3. ARAGORN327
    4. RX_Sith
    5. Hammurabi
    6. SWBob
    7. Eagle

I should be good at this.

11. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    1. EmpireForever
    2. BaSSiL
    3. ARAGORN327
    4. RX_Sith
    5. Hammurabi
    6. SWBob
    7. Eagle
    8. PRENN

Watch out, suckers. I've never won a draft before, and I plan to keep this streak alive, by winning through losing!

12. KiwiRogue

KiwiRogue Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2005
    Heh, good thing this filled up, this draft is too strange for me to consider. Will be watching though...

13. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    One thing you guys may want to consider is... Will people be available to pick from, say, the strategist list in Animated and lists that may or may not exist that are like that in others?

Could be that that's already been addressed, I didn't read the rules, lol. And just in case, here's a reminder (again maybe in the rules) to think about prep, who gets it, how it works, etc. Maybe everyone should be prepped automatically, so you can't just pick people who are worthless w/out prep? Iono.

14. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001

15. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Ah, nice. Good to see we're all on the same page here.
    Specifically, my page.

GO DONOVAN

And speaking of sports...

It Hits the Fan

Yes, It does hit the fan. Fan voting, to be precise, which is a load of It. Who decided to let fans vote on anything? FANS??? YOU KIDDIN ME??? I'd touch Jenna Jameson before a fan vote (actually only if I had a terminal illness, and only then for like, inside the 3 second rule)! This has gotten COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS!

We start in the NFL, the only sport in which I'm qualified to vote on most positions. Let's go back to that for a second. The ONLY SPORT in which I'm qualified to vote. That's a simple concept right? So why do fans feel that just because they watch or like a sport, it makes them automatically qualified to vote people to all-star games and awards? It DOESNT! It qualifies you to sit on your couch and listen to people who know what they're talking about, and then watch the worthless games! That's it! That's all! Players are shafted by lack of knowledge! If you are a 57-year-old who liked Brett Favre back in the 70s when he was in his prime, guess what. That doesn't mean he should go to the ProBowl this year! And if you're a 15-year-old who likes the idea of Brett Favre being great, that doesn't mean he still is! It doesn't take a genius to vote a player into the probowl who has the highest passer rating in the league does it? Or a person who throws for lots of yards with one of the fewest int. totals in league history through 16 games? And this with a receiving core my dog could walk on?

Oh. Oh, I guess it does. Because we'd rather see THE LEGEND Brett Favre and his 2nd coming, Jay Cutler, in the probowl rather than the people who deserve to be there. Last I checked, it wasn't called the Name Bowl.

Well, at least hockey fans seem to know it's not the name bowl. But I'm not so sure that's a good thing. At least if it was the Name Bowl (all-Name game in the NHL I guess), ALEXANDER OVECHKIN would be in it. Do NOT let me find a fan who did not vote for Ovechkin. Just because I like Carolina and hate the Caps' guts doesn't mean I'm voting for Eric Staal over Ovechkin, so don't you go voting your favorite position player over someone who OBVIOUSLY deserves to be there! Players are shafted by lack of impartiality as well, apparently. This is completely inexcusable. I haven't even seen the all-star NHL list, but when I heard about this I just felt a fire rising inside...

Hey, here's a crazy idea I tried this year (and every previous year). I am not knowledgeable enough to vote on the NHL all-star team. So guess what... I didn't! I know that's a radical approach, but maybe someone ought to adopt that method. Specifically, someone from New York. Who likes the Jets. And doesn't like Pennington. And got his heart broken in week 17. Like he deserved for voting Favre over Pennington. Probably didn't vote for Ovechkin either. Probably voted for, I dunno, Wayne Gretzky. Wrote him in.

And let's not get me started on basketball. I can't wait for the best player on the best team to be the league MVP again. Here's an idea I think will improve the accuracy of MVP balloting in b-ball. Why don't we vote at the beginning of the year, based on who we think will be the best player? I mean, couldn't be less accurate right?

And... Baseball... Voting after the postseason. Nuff said.

Oh yeah, and football fans :):spits::), the season is actually 16 games, not 9. So um... Yeah... I don't know who you were looking for for MVP, but it wasn't Peyton Manning. Unless the Colts' record got changed to 9-0 and I didn't realize it. Because um... He wasn't even the best QB in the league this year, much less the best overall player. Yeah, just thought I'd throw it out there. But I'm addressing FANS so what do I really expect?

Well, I expect to be burning again next year...

So, in conclusion, I'd like to offer to sacrifice my vote if it means no other fans get to vote. All of you reading this, if you voted, then it's very likely that you have contributed to me burning... I hope

16. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    You know...there is a forum dedicated entirely to sports here.

17. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Really? Where?

18. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
  19. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I figured you knew, which is why I never mentioned it to you before.

20. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Thanks, TLI. EF, you know what happens when you assume...

I burn.

And, posted.

21. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Ok, with the nature of the draft list, this is going to get messy, and so you'll need to be careful you don't select someone who's already been picked. I'm going to keep a running tab of who's been picked from each draft, just like we normally keep a list of who is still available. That's the best way I can think to do it. To help me, and everyone else, when you make a pick, please list the character name, the draft they are from, and the show/game/movie (if needed). And, remember the max of three from each list rule. I'll track that as well, once we start getting draft picks.

Round One

1. Aragorn327
    2. BaSSiL
    3. SWBob
    4. RX_Sith
    5. Hammurabi
    6. EAGLE
    7. PRENN
    8. EmpireForever

Round Two

1. EmpireForever
    2. PRENN
    3. EAGLE
    4. Hammurabi
    5. RX_Sith
    6. SWBob
    7. BaSSiL
    8. Aragorn327

Round Three

1. Aragorn327
    2. BaSSiL
    3. SWBob
    4. RX_Sith
    5. Hammurabi
    6. EAGLE
    7. PRENN
    8. EmpireForever

Round Four

1. EmpireForever
    2. PRENN
    3. EAGLE
    4. Hammurabi
    5. RX_Sith
    6. SWBob
    7. BaSSiL
    8. Aragorn327

Round Five

1. Aragorn327
    2. BaSSiL
    3. SWBob
    4. RX_Sith
    5. Hammurabi
    6. EAGLE
    7. PRENN
    8. EmpireForever

Round Six

1. EmpireForever
    2. PRENN
    3. EAGLE
    4. Hammurabi
    5. RX_Sith
    6. SWBob
    7. BaSSiL
    8. Aragorn327

Round Seven

1. Aragorn327
    2. BaSSiL
    3. SWBob
    4. RX_Sith
    5. Hammurabi
    6. EAGLE
    7. PRENN
    8. EmpireForever

Round Eight

1. EmpireForever
    2. PRENN
    3. EAGLE
    4. Hammurabi
    5. RX_Sith
    6. SWBob
    7. BaSSiL
    8. Aragorn327

Drafted List

Animated Draft

none

Comic Book Draft

none

Jedi Draft

none

Movie/TV Draft

none

Video Game Draft

None

On With Teh Anti-Draft!!111!!!1!eleven!

22. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    This should be freakin great.

23. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    You mean awful. This should be freaking awful.

24. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    I wonder who will build the worst team.

25. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    Shards of Awesome

1. C-3P0 (Star Wars) The Movie & Television Character Draft

2. ???
    3. ???
    4. ???
    5. ???
    6. ???
    7. ???
    8. Profit

Research-wise, there's a lot to go through. There may be better picks, but I still think this guy deserves a first round pick if not the number one spot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.