main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Anti-Draft: Where Fast Is Slow and Slow is Fast [Currently: Shurron wins]

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by DarthIntegral, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Kong, Winston, trump. No need to wait here.

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Thanks for the info there Marcus. I think I'll say no to the suit for Dexter. If he's only ever used it once, then he doesn't use it regularly when fighting, which means he isn't going to get it without prep. And if what Marcus is saying is true, that he assumed the bots might attack him, then methinks a certain level of preparation was involved.
    You misunderstand. He was working in his lab, near his time machine. The robots came out of the time machine, and Dexter immediately attacked them with his super suit that he already had on. He'd never seen them before, he just assumed that big scary robots appearing from the future were hostile. (They were, though they were there to kill Dee Dee, not him.) So I dunno you can say 'some level of preparation', unless he's prepared to be attacked at any time. Which would be the same thing.

Though to be fair he had just thrown Mandark out of his lab, I dunno if he was prepared for him and this was just a by-product.

3. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Indeed. lol @ Mode getting a win.

4. Maarek-Stele

Maarek-Stele Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2006
    Do you have some kind of particular balance that makes you hold your peace for some and not others? In most fights, they will certainly cripple each other.

In this particular case, it won't do anything because no matter who survives between the two, they'll still win the match. However, I fail to see why any argument I could put forward for this trump in general is automatically crap.

5. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    lol, I still didn't quite understand until I read what you had said a second and third time Marcus. You're saying he assumed they were hostile after they had already appeared, whereas I thought you meant he had made that assumption beforehand.

At the same time, that's still not all that relevant. I'm just not comfortable giving Dex a suit that he's only ever used once without a prep though. I wouldn't give it to him if somebody tried to argue for it in the Animated draft, and I still don't see him getting it without it.

Still, if anybody can think of any other unprepped examples of Dex, I'm more than happy to flop. I'm sure there are plenty out there, the show does have a lot of episodes.

6. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I think he meant that they wouldn't both end up dead at the end and that the winner would still be able to win.

7. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Except...there really isn't. Dexter's Laboratory is not about Dexter going out and saving the world all the time. Most of the time, if he is charged with 'saving the world', or whatever else, he creates something out of his laboratory, which he nearly always has access to. Rarely is he jumped like he was in this episode. The only other episode I can think of when he was somewhat unprepared is when he was an exchange student in Japan. There, separated from his lab by the Pacific ocean, he was still able to, in nearly an instant, summon an exo-skeleton/mech type thing to fight a couple of other kids on the playground, who, being Japanese, obviously had giant robots of their own(again, I hesitate to bring this up, as I don't know if the video is there, or the exact specifics). Other than that...there's really nothing else in Dexter's Laboratory that show him getting into fights when he wasn't expecting it. That's not what the show is.

8. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    Didn't Dantes win the last match? That would make the current score 2-0 instead of 1-1.

Although the match appears to remain up in the air right now.

9. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Except...there really isn't. Dexter's Laboratory is not about Dexter going out and saving the world all the time. Most of the time, if he is charged with 'saving the world', or whatever else, he creates something out of his laboratory, which he nearly always has access to. Rarely is he jumped like he was in this episode. The only other episode I can think of when he was somewhat unprepared is when he was an exchange student in Japan. There, separated from his lab by the Pacific ocean, he was still able to, in nearly an instant, summon an exo-skeleton/mech type thing to fight a couple of other kids on the playground, who, being Japanese, obviously had giant robots of their own(again, I hesitate to bring this up, as I don't know if the video is there, or the exact specifics). Other than that...there's really nothing else in Dexter's Laboratory that show him getting into fights when he wasn't expecting it. That's not what the show is.

Cool. Case closed.

I'm treating this like a regular match in a regular draft, and in such a situation, were somebody to try to argue that Dex should get his suit without prep, I'd probably laugh in their face. So yeah, I guess I'll stick with Dantes.

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002

Yes, thanks for the correction :)

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Those are mine as well. And since I don't think anyone has arguments that go the other way (if you do, speak up) then unless Loyal or Zizz or Chim disagree with any of those, I'm going to count Yak's as a first judgement and put the next round up tonight.

12. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Nope, no disagreements from me.

13. SWBob

SWBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 19, 2003
    I think edna would lose due to her ego collapsing on herself thus killing her without an opponent. Loss to SWBob.

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work that way :p Though again, Edna was a great pick.

15. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Eagle's I Did Not Send Nat My Numbers (3) vs. BaSSiL's RRAAAARRL! (0)

Shurron's Anal Leakage: The Team (1) vs. RX's The Frickin' Laser Beams (2)

Aragorn's Shards of Awesome (3) vs. EF's Tim and Eric Awesome Team Great Job! (0)

Bob's The Wet Paper Towels (3) vs. Hammu's Team Nameless (0)

[b]#2[/b].

[b][hl=green][color=white]Daniel Jackson (Stargate)[/color][/hl] vs. [hl=purple][color=lightpurple]Solid Snake TRUMPED w/ Liquid Snake (Metal Gear Solid)[/color][/hl][/b]

[b][hl=deepskyblue][color=white]Makoto Mizuhara TRUMPED with Katsuhiko Jinnai (El Hazard) [/color][/hl] vs. [hl=red][color=hotpink]Professor Dementor (Kim Possible) UNPREPPED[/color][/hl][/b]

[b][hl=black][color=dimgray]Princess Zelda [/color][/hl] vs. [hl=orange][color=white]Venom trumped with Carnage FORFEIT[/color][/hl][/b]

[b][hl=blue][color=black]Charlie Eppes( unprepped)[/color][/hl] vs. [hl=brown][color=orange]Tokka + Sylvanas + Arthas + Mike Tyson FORFEIT [/color][/hl][/b]

[hr]

Two are forfeits and two are fairly easy, it seems, but you guys have a couple days to argue unless other judges want to pass judgement quickly.

16. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I think you misplaced the forfeit on our match.

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Crap, yeah, I did. Hold on a sec, lemme fix that.

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Any arguments at all?

19. SWBob

SWBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 19, 2003
    Charlie Epps will see some hidden number in the clouds when he walks out to the empty arena and it will cause his mind to implode as he calculates the odds of finding a random number in the sky, thus lossing the match.

20. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Liquid won't make it to the match, Foxdie will see to that. Snake will be torn up a bit himself, because Liquid knows he'll die within the 24 hours. So they'll be fighting a bit. But Snake will make it. However, that Stargate tech is pretty good. I think he could take an even almost full powered snake with that automatic prep and that tech. Snake's tech isn't nearly as good. Except for the camo.

Y'know, I don't care. I've won anyway.

21. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Alright, let's give these a shot.

Daniel Jackson (Stargate) vs. Solid Snake TRUMPED w/ Liquid Snake (Metal Gear Solid)

I could probably buy other Stargate officers using the prep to take out Solid. Probably not Jax though. It's not that Danny boy is completely devoid of skill as a trained fighter, but he's still a novice compared to his friends, and he's going up against a trained superagent here. Liquid and Solid are clearly well-matched, but they aren't going to fight for 24 hours straight without gaining victory; far less than that I would assume. Solid will have time to recuperate from his battle, and then he's just too quick and skilled to lose to the outmatched Jackson, even with the tech disadvantage.

Winner: Trump

Makoto Mizuhara TRUMPED with Katsuhiko Jinnai (El Hazard) vs. Professor Dementor (Kim Possible) UNPREPPED

Ummm, trump? Sure. I'm also going to go ahead and assume the EH duo hate each other, because what else is new? I do know Dementor, and well, the trump wins. Even if the survivor is all beat up or whatever.

Winner: Trump

Kenshin Himura TRUMPED with Shishio Makoto vs. Venom trumped with Carnage

Okay, don't flip out here if I screw this one up. I did the research, but again, I'm only vaguely familiar with all four of these characters. And I mean really vaguely familiar.

So what I've got is that, while Carnage is for the most part stronger and better equipped to win a fight, Venom seems to win an overwhelming percentage of the time. Because Carnage is a stupid nut and goes ape**** just because, whereas Venom can actually be a smarty-pants to trick his opponent. Maybe exploit the sonic weakness (?), or rig something or other up. So I guess Venom wins. With, like, 14 hours 45 minutes left. Whatever.

The other one seems like it would have to go to Kenshin, based on that final fight. Not sure if Shishio overheating was an anomaly, or whether that always happens when he fights, and he only lost this time because Kenshin kept the battle going for so long and forced him to exert so much effort. Either way, it appears Kenshin has the upper hand between these two. Shishio comes close, but after, say, 5 and a half hours, he goes down hard. And Kenshin is left standing.

So between Kenshin and Venom, my gut would tell me to go with the former. Speed is the primary reason; those Kenshin characters are wicked fast. Certainly quicker than the Spidey characters have shown, I would guess. Venom might have a strength advantage, plus the web attacks undoubtedly come in handy. I wouldn't mind hearing more about Venom's mental attacks, because that could change my outlook; from what I know now, I don't feel comfortable basing a win on it. Kenshin is faster, more skilled, and has more powerful and varied attacks. I give it to the blond fella.

Winner: Kenshin and Shishio

Charlie Eppes( unprepped) vs. Tokka + Sylvanas + Arthas + Mike Tyson FORFEIT

Winner: CHARLIE???

22. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    No, my match is a forfeit. His trump already appeared.

23. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Which one is yours?

24. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Kenshin Himura TRUMPED with Shishio Makoto vs. Venom trumped with Carnage

They already went.

25. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005