main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The anti-Star Wars media bias continues!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Durwood, Oct 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    I found this article on the main page very interesting:

I've now seen advance footage of the second installment of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, and all I can say is "look out." This may be another Oscar nominee for Best Picture.

Last week New Line Cinema held two sneak previews of 16 minutes of assembled footage of The Two Towers which featured a look at some new characters and a glimpse of a giant war scene. It was all very impressive, especially the new computer-generated character Gollum, who puts Jar Jar Binks to shame.
    Just like with The Fellowship Of The Ring, the media buzz is trying to pump up The Two Towers to undeservedly epic proportions. If Towers clocks in at the three hour mark of its predecessor, that means that journelists, having seen only a 16 minute preview of no doubt carefully selected clips, have seen less than 8% of the total film, yet they're ready to bestow "Best Picture" honors on it!

And while Lucas continues to be harshly criticized for his use of digital characters, Peter Jackson is practically put on a pedestal and worshipped, just as many of us suspected he would be! Anybody who has seen The Two Towers internet preview can probably tell you that Gollum, while an impressive bit of CG eye-candy, can't compare to the art and realism of ILM's CG characters (frankly, as I watched the preview, I found myself hoping that Gollum is still being tweaked, but I fear otherwise). And why are they still griping about Jar Jar? He's so 1999! What about other characters that played a significant role in Attack Of The Clones like Yoda, the Kaminoans, Poggle the Lesser, and the amazing CGI clone troopers? How does Gollum stack up to them?

Now the reason I put this in the Attack Of The Clones forum is because it seems that Hollywood and the media at large are set to strip deserving honors from the Star Wars franchise yet again repeating their folly of 1999.

What are your thoughts?

2. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    I, for one, am really tired of this Star Wars vs. Lord of the Rings rubbish. I love Star Wars and I really enjoyed Fellowship of the Ring. I think Peter Jackson is a talented director, and I look forward to seeing The Two Towers. I don't even get why so may Star Wars fans have a problem with FOTR. It is possible to enjoy both, you know.

3. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    Uh...Durwood.

One problem buddy.

That article was posted by Fox.

Why would they shoot themselves in the foot like that?

Especially with the AOTC IMAX coming in a month.

Is there a Double Agent working for Fox News?

It just may be a conspiracy!

Someone call Bill O'Reilly!

[face_shocked]

4. BIG_BEN

BIG_BEN Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    Amen, brother Obi-Wan.

5. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    For the record, Microsoft doesn't censor anti-Microsoft stories from MSNBC. That'd be a conflict of interest and laws prevent that kind of thing, which is why you would find an anti-Star Wars story on Fox News.

6. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm preety sure he was comparing their characters and not their technical details.

Anyway, my brother's cousin's uncle knows a guy who says that everyone in Hollywood has to join a secret cult where all swear loyalty to PJ by blood oath and then sacrifice likenesses of Jar Jar and George Lucas on a blood-covered PJ idol! :eek:

7. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002

So, they never said he was better than Yoda.

I guess LOTR fans will have to prepare themselves for disappointment.

:(

8. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    I've now seen advance footage of the second installment of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, and all I can say is "look out." This may be another Oscar nominee for Best Picture.

If TTT is as boring, overblown, and pretentious as FOTR and likewise gets an Oscar nom for Best Picture, that will prove yet again what a joke the Oscars have become.

9. Mapper

Mapper Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2002
    Those who dislike the prequels are just using LOTR because it is available and FOTR was successful. If there was no LOTR movies, they would have picked something else to compare with the prequels. Critics seem to hate CGI stuff, no matter how good it is (see yoda). I suspect that we will hear much more criticism of Gollum and TTT's use of CGI this time around.

10. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Anyway, my brother's cousin's uncle knows a guy who says that everyone in Hollywood has to join a secret cult where all swear loyalty to PJ by blood oath and then sacrifice likenesses of Jar Jar and George Lucas on a blood-covered PJ idol!

Oh, I wouldn't go that far. ;) They just hypocritically laud Jackson for doing the same things they pillory Lucas for.

Jackson plays the Hollywood game. Lucas doesn't. Jackson is worshipped for far less than Lucas has achieved. Lucas is derided nonstop. Coincidence? I think not.

11. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Critics seem to hate CGI stuff, no matter how good it is. I suspect that we will hear much more criticism of Gollum and TTT's use of CGI this time around.

No, I'm afraid we won't. Critics hate CGI if it's done by LFL. If it's done by Weta, aka the company that does the FX for the sainted LOTR, they adore it.

12. Grizham1

Grizham1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2001
    It doesn't matter anymore about starwars vs. lord of the rings, its kind of dead issue or at least a very drawn out one, I love the ot and the lord of the rings movies, it is possible to love both and not claim a bias!

13. JediRandy

JediRandy Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 21, 2002
    Amen Shelly.

I enjoyed LOTR, but it was waaaay overblown. If ATOC was too long with too much "rubbish" than how was LOTR not? It was way, way too long. And the payoff scenes weren't nearly good enough to make up for the other 3 hours of average film.

14. ElfStar

Mar 24, 2001
    I think a lot of people simply don't view the things they do as the same. There are things I don't like about FotR, but I simply feel it has much more heart than the last two prequel movies, so I'm willing to forgive more.

And jackson is hardly a Hollywood man. He made the films in New Zealand, using mostly unknown and New Zealand/Australian actors. He's not your orthodox hollywood director.

15. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    And it is possible to not think LOTR is so great, independent of how one feels about SW.

It's very possible to get sick of hearing about how FOTR/TTT is going to blow SW away, how it will kill off SW, how Peter Jackson should direct Episode III, how Peter Jackson is a genius and Lucas a tired old has-been....on a SW message board.

16. ElfStar

Mar 24, 2001
    Well then you should probably start your own message board where such things aren't allowed, because this is a basically free messageboard, where your allowed to express your opinion as long as you don't flame people. :)

17. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    I think a lot of people simply don't view the things they do as the same. There are things I don't like about FotR, but I simply feel it has much more heart than the last two prequel movies, so I'm willing to forgive more.

I fail to see this incredible heart that it has so much more of than TPM or AOTC. I see throwaway characters, a rather irksome main hero (Frodo), and a downright embarrassing Wizard Smackdown that Lucas would be viciously slammed for if he featured in any of his movies, but which had critics in ecstasies in FOTR.

I find heart in the prequels, so I'm willing to forgive their shortcomings.

And jackson is hardly a Hollywood man. He made the films in New Zealand, using mostly unknown and New Zealand/Australian actors. He's not your orthodox hollywood director.

Ian McKellen, Elijah Wood, Liv Tyler, Viggo Mortenson, Christopher Lee, Cate Blanchett, and Sean Astin are all unknown, Aussie or NZ actors?

No one had HEARD of Hayden Christensen prior to AOTC. Natalie Portman and Ewan McGregor are about on the same level, fame-wise, as much of LOTR's cast. The biggest "star" in either prequel is probably Liam Neeson. And Lucas cast a lot of Aussie/NZ actors in both AOTC and TPM.

I didn't say Jackson was a Hollywood director. I said he plays the Hollywood game. Lucas does not.

18. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    "I said he plays the Hollywood game. Lucas does not."

And no one would, if they all had the money to do it all themselves.

19. I_Hate_Sand

I_Hate_Sand Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 6, 2002
    Yeah. There's a worldwide conspiracy to "get" Lucas. [face_plain]

20. ElfStar

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, I'm afraid I can't "prove" that FotR has more heart, since that's obviously something that comes down to personal preferance. I simply think FotR has more heart than the prequels. Many critics agree with me. Feel free to disagree with me, but don't think I'm part of some sort of conspiracy.

21. Grizham1

Grizham1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2001
    Shelley,

I believe lucas has even said that Jackson doesn't do things the hollywood way, that's why he made such a "Good Movie" in Fotr, that's right God said that someone else made a good movie other than his own creations! gasp!

As for the whole wizard throwout character of Gandalf, Alec Gusiness character of Obi-Wan is based on largely on Gandalf, I don't seem to recall anyone bitching about him.

22. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    Amen, Shelley.

Sometimes, if I hear "Orlando" "Jackson" "Legolas" or any other LOTR-related word or phrase I think I could go nuts.

I like SW. I enjoyed reading Tolkien's masterwork. I even liked FOTR, the film. But I am getting a bit sick of hearing about it.

No way Jackson is superior to GL. Jackson took something a great author had already written and made it into a film. Nothing more, nothing less. LOTR (the work of literature, not the film) was well-known and loved long before the films were released. Before ANH, sure, there were other Sci Fi films, but the OT was something else altogether.

-Tim

23. Mapper

Mapper Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2002
    No, I'm afraid we won't. Critics hate CGI if it's done by LFL. If it's done by Weta, aka the company that does the FX for the sainted LOTR, they adore it.

You forget, we are talking about critics here. We are talking about people who failed in the movie/entertainment industry or could not cut it as a real reporter. They are mean, cruel and stupid. The will turn on Weta at the first instant and then have the gaul to ask why the CGI is not as good as ILMs. Not all mind you, but there will be those who will.

PS I dont like critics.

I don't mind if you don't like LOTR, just don't resort to the same tactics as the AOTC bashers by attacking the director by calling him a hack. Neither Lucas or Jackson are hacks. Don't give into hate. :)

24. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Well, I'm afraid I can't "prove" that FotR has more heart, since that's obviously something that comes down to personal preferance. I simply think FotR has more heart than the prequels.

Yet here you are, on a prequel message board.

Many critics agree with me.

And many people do not.

Feel free to disagree with me, but don't think I'm part of some sort of conspiracy.

I never said you were.

25. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    I don't mind if you don't like LOTR, just don't resort to the same tactics as the AOTC bashers by attacking the director by calling him a hack. Neither Lucas or Jackson are hacks. Don't give into hate.

Thanks, Mapper. I don't believe I called Jackson a "hack," but if I did, I apologize. It was said in anger.

But I appreciate your words. For the record, I don't hate LOTR. I'm just sick of it being undeservedly elevated, especially at the exepnse of SW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.