main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The anti-Star Wars media bias continues!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Durwood, Oct 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    I want to share a quote with you people.

"You'll just have to tolerate his opinion. Fighting will not change it." - Qui-Gon

2. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    The road goes ever on and on, down to the hall where it began...

3. JenX

JenX Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    Only_2...

Wait a second...

OMG, what would a Yarael Poof stickfigure look like????

Yarael Poof versus the Purple boss!!!! That would rock!!!!!

4. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Rebel Scumb on points 2, 5 and 8 could you be more elaborate please?

I find most of your "flaws" just subjective and really we obviously saw a different movie.

But its your opinion. Respectfully i disagree but what can you do? :)

And so what if the Stormtroopers were CGI? I was "fooled" but that i dont ruin it for me when i found out. I actually think it was brilliant.

And to everyone, I find it rather interesting that suddenley the OT:SE's are being criticised. What Lucas wants to do wih his galaxy shouldnt really be complained about, its none of our business. The same goes with the prequels.
    You know when some of you bashers went to see AOTC, I dont think you actually saw it. Thasts why you didnt enjoy it and you complain aout things you know well enough aren't the problem. You overlooked them when the OT came out so why is it all of a sudden a problem now?

5. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    Large portions of the music are cut and paste from TPM

I still want proof of this. Who said he cut a pasted? And so what anyway?

6. BLUEJEDI3

BLUEJEDI3 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    I think it's so sad when person goes to a movie and determines to nit pic it before it even starts. Specifcally looking for bad acting, CGI, fake scenes and whatever they want to be critical about. I mean how can you enjoy a movie with that attitude what a waste of time, that causes frustration.

I guess some people love to thrive on bashing

Sorry bashers just bug me. I mean just get over it. You don't have to be a gusher to be on these boards either. But some of these so-called fans are so bitter.

7. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002
    And, he was originally planning on making 7, 8 & 9 back then

I want proof of this too. I heard it was a rumor Rolling Stones started. Lucas never hand 7 8 and 9 in mind. Was suppose to be a 6 part saga.

8. Only_2

Only_2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    Large portions of the music are cut and paste from TPM

Ok here is where I tend to take issue with people making unfounded claims. I work in audio production. You have absolutely NO way of substantiating this claim unless you were in the editing room with George and John and Ben. Stop it, please. Some of the motif's and themes may have been the same but that does NOT mean that they were lifted. More likely re-recorded with subtle changes that your untrained ears cannot hear. Did you ever notice that the opening Star Wars theme is different in every movie, I'll bet you didn't. Yes, every movie has a slightly different version of the title theme, re-recorded each time with subtle changes. I'm not saying it wasn't lifted, I can't prove it either. I'm saying that in 4 previous movies they've not done that, why start doing it now? Oh right, because it's more fuel for your fire.

9. Obi-Can

Obi-Can Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2002
    Nice discussion going on. I'll add my opinion to the mix. (Sorry this is so long)

I think their is a prejudice against the PT to a certain extent, as there is in all sequels of masterpieces. It is assumed that the magic cannot be repeated and shouldn't be attempted. I think the media sees the PT as George's not wholly disguised run for the money. However, I for one am very happy he did it.

IMO the PT is not as good as the OT and never could be. The OT was ground breaking and created a new world of sci-fi adventure for a whole generation. The PT is merely completing a beloved story that the older fans and new fans can appreciate and can go along for the ride. Our preconceived notions are destined to be disappointed, they have to be. The best we can hope for is entertainment and a satisfying story.

IMO the AOTC is a much better movie than TPM. I enjoyed it and so did my 13 yr old son. I love the fact that I can share my love of Star Wars with him and see that he's into it as much as I am and was. So I would count it as a great success.

Having said all that I must add a caveat; AOTC is flawed more than a George Lucas film should be. The love story was bad. The acting by Hayden Christensen was iffy, which I put down to his inexperience and bad dialogue. Natalie Portman, on the other hand, is a drag to the movie. She doesn't act in any of the scenes she just takes up space. The love story needed chemistry and I believe she killed any that it might have squeezed out. I thought what saved the movie were the scenes with Yoda, Dooku, Obi-Wan and Dex, as well as the tusken massacre scene. However, the factory scene was kiddie adventure and the fire-place scene was painfully bad.

There is a lot to criticize in this movie and since it's Star Wars and has a lot to live up to the critics are going to oblige. Face it though, there are a lot of movies much worse that still did a killing at the box-office prooving that bad dialogue, writing and acting can still be entertaining.

10. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    From Music from the Movies

Contrary to rave reviews, I also feel the score is by far the weakest of the trilogy. One can only speculate, but I believe John Williams, for the first time in his career, may have been a victim of the absurd post-production environment which exists in Hollywood today. In the film, the score is a complete and utter mess. I don't believe there is a single cue on this CD which fully runs its course in the film. Cues are spliced, chopped, moved to different parts of the film, repeated, and truncated. Parts of the film don't appear to have any original score at all, just exercises in cut and paste, and bad ones at that. In the final third of the film, actual cues from The Phantom Menace are used, albeit in truncated form. At times it seems the music is simply being used to plug holes in the sound design, and I don't recall any part of the film not having music. Of course it would be wrong to judge Williams intent in the film on the basis of the CD (where cues have been moved around for listening purposes). I believe it is clear however that fundamental changes were made to both the score and film, long after the score was recorded. This is the sad reality of Hollywood today I guess.

11. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    TokyoXtreme and JenX how about getting together and making us JEDI STICKFIGHT? :D

YODA stickfigure vs DOOKU stickfigure. :D

12. JenX

Jul 26, 2002
    DarthTerrious

You know when some of you bashers went to see AOTC, I dont think you actually saw it. Thasts why you didnt enjoy it and you complain aout things you know well enough aren't the problem. You overlooked them when the OT came out so why is it all of a sudden a problem now?

and BLUEJEDI3

I think it's so sad when person goes to a movie and determines to nit pic it before it even starts. Specifcally looking for bad acting, CGI, fake scenes and whatever they want to be critical about. I mean how can you enjoy a movie with that attitude what a waste of time, that causes frustration.

Ok, stop me if this sounds familiar, but I'm getting tired of pointing out that it is not the little flaws in the PT that are stoping me from enjoying them. It is the whooping great flaws coupled with the bad dialogue/acting/plotting/directing/editting/characterisation that is doing that.

Do you see what I'm saying? Yes, the PT and the OT have flaws. We agree on this. I'm saying that the PT is more flawed then the OT, and that it has less of the good stuff that the OT had (like good acting, directing, dialogue etc etc etc). I'm saying if the PT had more good stuff it would be a lot easier to overlook the bad stuff. But even overlooking the bad stuff doesn't make TPM and AOTC any better.

You disagree. I get that, I really do. It's called a difference of opinion.

Wow, cut and paste is a godsend. As is interactive stickfigure fighting.

;)

13. scruffy-lookin

scruffy-lookin Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 2001
    Specifcally looking for bad acting...]

I didn't have to look hard.

14. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    The media ARE biased against Lucas and Star Wars, bigtime! If you don't believe, you need a dose of realty smacked upside your head!
    How else do you explain magazines like Rolling Stone praising Clones when it first came out but the same critic bashing the film months later after jumping on the nerfherder bandwagon.

Thank you, Duckman! Nice to see somebody still remembers what this thread is about.

15. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    It is the whooping great flaws coupled with the bad dialogue/acting/plotting/directing/editting/characterisation that is doing that.

Considering just how critical some of you folks are, I find it difficult to believe that you could even like Star Wars in the first place.

16. JenX

Jul 26, 2002
    The media ARE biased against Lucas and Star Wars, bigtime! If you don't believe, you need a dose of realty smacked upside your head!
    How else do you explain magazines like Rolling Stone praising Clones when it first came out but the same critic bashing the film months later after jumping on the nerfherder bandwagon.

To which I replied:

But the majority of critics have praised AOTC!!!! I thought one of the defining qualities of a bandwagon was that it had popular support? How is tailoring your responses to fit in with a minority view jumping on a bandwagon????

And can provide some kind of link to this article?

And, if the Rolling Stone critic was biased why the heck would they have given AOTC a great review in the first place????

But I guess Duckman went of to watch the stick figures fight, because he never replied...

Ah well...

editted to add:

Considering just how critical some of you folks are, I find it difficult to believe that you could even like Star Wars in the first place.

The difficulties you have believing that I and others like Star Wars, Durwood, are difficulties you really should get help with, particularly since I've posted my reasons for loving the OT numerous times...and on this very thread.

If you want help overcoming this difficulty you are having, I'd be happy to help. :)

17. MobartZmuda

MobartZmuda Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    I just wanted to say the stick figure fighters are awesome! I hadn't ever seen it before until just now.

Also, the media may or may not have an anti-Star Wars bias--those definitions a couple pages back confused the heck out of me :D

18. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    WE ARE ALL BORN CRITICS! :D

19. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002
    don't appear to have any original score at all, just exercises in cut and paste, and bad ones at that. In the final third of the film, actual cues from The Phantom Menace are used,

This is still no proof. It still does not say if this was truly done. It is just his thoughts. What he thinks is done. He said it appearsto be. Just seems to be another basher nic picking as well. I did not find anything wrong wiith the score during the movie.
    He also said actuals cues were used but does not state how they were used. Could mean anything. Like JW rerecorded it maybe. But still I do not see anything wrong with the score.

20. Only_2

Only_2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    I also feel

One can only speculate, but I believe

I don't believe there is

Parts of the film don't appear to have
    At times it seems

and I don't recall

I believe it is clear

I love when someone tries to dispute a post I make that has 7, count 'em SEVEN, instances of the original writer qualifying his statement as opinion and not fact which is finished by a statement such as this:
    This is the sad reality of Hollywood today I guess.

Tokyo, would you like to post something that actually proves me wrong? Otherwise we are trading opinion for opinion.

I have based mine on past performance of John Williams, the London Symphony Orchestra, and George Lucas' and Ben Burtt's previous practices in audio editing for the Star Wars movies.

You have based yours on someone else's admittedly unfounded opinion.

Not to mention someone taking the time to speculate so vividly and inaccurately on how the film was made and qualifying it by blaming it on "Lazy Hollywood" only goes further to prove there is a media bias. Why else would this writer go so far to trash AOTC with claims he can't prove? Prejudiced, Biased, or just plain towing the line and jumping on the bandwagon.

What purpose does all his speculation about the audio editing serve other than to bash AOTC? Factual claims against AOTC are not bashing, they are criticisim. Speculative claims are BASHING, as they serve no other purpose than to dissuade the reader from enjoying the picture as they do not prove anything factual.

21. TokyoXtreme

Oct 24, 2001

Star Wars doesn't have any of those problems, therefore it's far more enjoyable.

My favorite moment in stickfighting movie #3 is when the "hero" attempts to leave through the door, but is immediately pushed back by the entering pair of toughs. This occurs shortly after the guy with the knives. In a way, I consider video #3 to be the "Star Wars" of the XIAOXIAO stick-fighting films. It is the gunfight films that are THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. It's amazing to see how far those pieces progress technically. Then again, that interactive "Virtua Cop 2" game was pretty awesome too. This guy XIAO XIAO is a genius.

22. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    [The] Star Wars [saga] doesn't have any of those problems...

This I can agree with.

23. TokyoXtreme

Oct 24, 2001
    I love when someone tries to dispute a post I make that has 7, count 'em SEVEN, instances of the original writer qualifying his statement as opinion and not fact which is finished by a statement such as this:
    This is the sad reality of Hollywood today I guess.

Are you unable to distinguish statements of opinion from statements of fact? That's an issue between you and your English teacher. The writer does not modify his statement about the music being lifted as his opinion, rather he states it as fact. Incidentally, I was also replying to Ekenobi's post, not yours.

But in your post, you mention:

Did you ever notice that the opening Star Wars theme is different in every movie, I'll bet you didn't.

That's a pretty big insult to the intelligence of the moviegoing audience if you seriously believe that statement. The opening themes are considerably different from all Star Wars movies, I think anybody can tell the difference if they're half-awake. The cue for the blockcade runner is far different from the cue for the probe droids, or for the Imperial shuttle.

Furthermore, none of the SW films have had music pasted directly from a previous film; it's always been a fresh, unique performance for that particular film. That is, until AOTC, which used the same recording used in TPM. I thought the debate on this was over, but apparently not. Believe what you want I guess, I'm sure you can talk yourself into thinking anything you want.

24. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    That is, until AOTC, which used the same recording used in TPM.

PPOR!

25. TokyoXtreme

Oct 24, 2001
    Durwood: [It's quite unnecessary to] PPOR!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.